• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wallaby Bob

I thought I was confused but now I am unsure.
Remember that this is the NSWJRU selection criteria: you must play in City v Country clash and the team is picked on performance on that day only
Also remember that it was a 22 all DRAW.
Please explain how only two of the Sydney run-on team missed out but nine of the run-on team missed out from Country. (it was a 22 all draw wasn't it? ) Then they have four selected who did not play yesterday; Delore, Kellaway, Matairavula and Moeroa.

C

Casnovian

I thought I was confused but now I am unsure.
Remember that this is the NSWJRU selection criteria: you must play in City v Country clash and the team is picked on performance on that day only
Also remember that it was a 22 all DRAW.
Please explain how only two of the Sydney run-on team missed out but nine of the run-on team missed out from Country. (it was a 22 all draw wasn't it? ) Then they have four selected who did not play yesterday; Delore, Kellaway, Matairavula and Moeroa.

At the Under 16s game yesterday the NSWJRU - reiterated that the NSWJRU under 16s team had been reconvened (my word) as they had not had one for a few years (hence outside and at odds with its pathway brochure). She also noted that not only the 46 players on the paddock where available for selection another five players who had been picked by the NSW schools Team (and had played village as well as school rugby) were also included on the availability list the selectors would choose from. It was considered fair as they were excluded by being on the NSW Schools side and not being able to play Country.

Sounds reasonable - the unfortunate thing is the NSWJRU strength with updating their internet page and providing information such as this and making it available to everyone is not one of their strong suits. A lot of time and good will is donated by a precious few and that should be applauded and acknowledged. However being in the internet age - we are used to getting information promptly. It is an area all the NSW village clubs, SJRU, NSWJRU and even the Australian Schools internet pages could use some professional and dedicated resources. I am sure the executive(s) would welcome it.

As far as sitting on the bench and not being used - makes the deciding coaches look a little bit "small". Yet it continues to happen again and again - see regionals. An adoption of minimum time rule for all of the squad should be heavily lobbied as no better way to stunt enthusiasm and interest if it continues to happen. Let the act speak for it itself.

Low!

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
NSW side looks pretty good on paper although, given the result, I can see why the Country folk might feel a little hard done by. Am I right in noting that they have only picked one hooker ? I also note that Country's representation of 7 players is exactly matched in 15s and 17s. Is there some sort of quota system in place or is it assumed when doing the headcount they have to count two each for country ?!?!

R

rugbygold

1. Matairavula
2. Koutsoukis
3. Orr (tighthead?)
4. Hefron
5. Papworth (both quality backrowers ^ but the talent of this 6 and 7 would have to move them to the row?)
6. McCalman
7. Morris
8. Afele

9. Short
10. Andrews
11. Winterstein
12. Moeroa
13. Kellaway
14. Redden
15. Jones

i could see this team happening
tulloch should have been there though

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
The team is certainly light on locks. Notwithstanding that Orr played 1 for Sydney as a late call up I'd have him at 4 or 5.

1.Matairavula
2.Koutsoukis
3.Maclean
4. Orr
5. Papworth
6. Morris
7. Macalman
8. Afele
9. Short
10. Andrews
11. Winterstein
12. Moeroa
13. Kellaway
14. Redden
15. Jones

R

rugbygold

This whole selection process from State Champs to NOW - has been a laugh !!

agree^^ i dont know how they left out so many people from schools, and the nsw team that was selected on the weekend IMO tulloch and jones should of been front runners for nsw schools best backs of the tournament.. as for country only getting 6 players in the nsw team is ridicules it was a 22-22 scoreline and country played well enough for more then 6 to get picked.

R

rockon

The team is certainly light on locks. Notwithstanding that Orr played 1 for Sydney as a late call up I'd have him at 4 or 5.

Orr was in the sydney team as a number 4 from the original selections, but due to injuries i am told he moved to 1. A position which he plays at his school (trinity) in the 1sts in

Bill McLean (32)
So True!

This whole selection process from State Champs to NOW - has been a laugh !!

I could not agree with you more Beaver!

The NSW Schools v. SJRU game is now shaping up to be a great preliminary contest!

On one side you have the ARU selected and NSWRU endorsed Schools team up against the 'Autonomous Clubbies' (lmao ... now my term of endearment for them).

From my understanding there were 10 players in the NSW Schools team that were eligible for selection in the NSWJRU U/16's. Those in Bold were actually selected for NSWJRU. All lads eligible were:

1. Lachlan Cannell (MNZ)
2. Adrian Delore (CJRU)
3. Oliver Kamp (Barbarians)
4. Andrew Kellaway (MNZ- But he didn't play at Regional)
5. Peter Maa (Barbarians)
6. Jarrod Matairavula (MWZ)
7. Tepai Moeroa (MNZ)
8. Michael Morgan (MSZ)
9. Oliver Takiveikata (Barbarians)
10. Anthony Vasilis (Barbarians)

For mine there are two (possibly three) notable omissions, which will hopefully motivate the same boys to play well come the 11th of September!

And the CJRU should feel aggrieved at the omission of some of their lads given the result, and their preformance at Regional!

Regards,

Bill McLean (32)
... ... IMO tulloch and jones should of been front runners for nsw schools best backs of the tournament. ... ...

RG,

As stated by others (and also myself) in previous posts, Tulloch and Jones were probably on the radar of Schools, however given the current selection process that has been agreed by SJRU, CJRU and Schools with respect to the selection of theirs teams for National Championships each year I dont think Tulloch had a choice but to go with CJRU.

With regard to Jones, yes he had an awesome Schools tournament, however he was found somewhat wanting at Regional, especially when a lad by the name of Robert Taufa from the Barbarians team ran over him like a 'Mac Truck' to score a spectacular try!

I am especially disappointed to hear that CJRU used Tulloch in the Fullback role against City. Such decisions defy logic I am afraid. When considering the result of 22-22 how would the Country team have faired if he was playing in the pivot role? I would suggest it would have added at least 1 point to CJRU's scoreline!

Alas post-mortems serve no end of good (except to generate healthy debate within these pages)!

Regards,

R

Rugby Mad

RG,

I am especially disappointed to hear that CJRU used Tulloch in the Fullback role against City. Such decisions defy logic I am afraid. When considering the result of 22-22 how would the Country team have faired if he was playing in the pivot role? I would suggest it would have added at least 1 point to CJRU's scoreline!

Alas post-mortems serve no end of good (except to generate healthy debate within these pages)!

Regards,

I would assume that Tulloch (and the rest of the boys) was of the understanding that if he wanted to make the NSWJRU side he would have to play in the City vs Country game and it is this reason he chose to represent CJRU and not Schools.
I can also understand why Tulloch was playing 15 with Andrews playing 10. I wonder how CJRU would have gone with Tulloch at 12 and Newey given some game time at 15.
I can not understand why Tulloch has been left out of the NSW squad given his ability to play 10, 12 or 15, versatility is a rare skill these days. Maybe the selectors were not aware of this given he only played 15 on Sunday...

Bill McLean (32)
RM,

Tulloch did not get a choice my friend; none of the boys do! Nevertheless I am led to believe that the odd school has some influence as to which side their respective boys play in now and then ... lol!

And the selectors know of his versatility, you can bank on it!

All I can hope for is that Tulloch channels his anger in a positive fashion at National Champs leaving no doubt in anyone's mind that his omission was a travesty!

R

Rugby Mad

This is a quote from the brochure on the NSWJRU website titled "Rugby Union Pathways for NSWJRU Club Players 2011"

"Selection into state squads is strictly limited to the participants representing either Sydney Junior Rugby Union or NSW Country Junior Rugby Union in their annual clash and is based on their performance on
the day."

All I can say is if this is the way NSW develop their juniors, some of these kids could well be playing in the next world cup, then things are only looking better for NZ rugby...

R

Rugby Mad

Newbie,

I am dead certain they know exactly what he can do also, I was simply having another cheeky shot at the supposed selection criteria.

I have no doubt he and the rest of the boys that were hard done by in the selections will channel their anger positively at nationals. I also have no doubt that Country u/16s will suprise a few people at the Nationals.

W

Wallaby Bob

Before the weekend I predicted Country to beat Sydney by one try.

For the sake of debate, I predict that Victoria will beat Queensland in the final at Nationals.

What do you think? what do you know about the other teams?

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
Team is on the NSWJRU website under rep teams. While on the website read the club pathways for selection document which says that to be selected for the state squad you must play in City v Country clash and the team is picked on performance on that day only. Then laugh!

It's "Go QLD" for me from now on.

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
I also note that Country's representation of 7 players is exactly matched in 15s and 17s. Is there some sort of quota system in place ?!?!

Simple answer is YES. Country robbed in the 16's vs City robbed in the 17's. The other unwritten rule is to pick the captain of the losing side.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Before the weekend I predicted Country to beat Sydney by one try.

For the sake of debate, I predict that Victoria will beat Queensland in the final at Nationals.

What do you think? what do you know about the other teams?

Nice hand grenade Bob! :lmao:

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Everybody - there is no need to quote the previous post especially if it is a big one. I just takes up space and thus there are fewer posts per page.

And when you quote there is no need to quote all of a big post, even from another page, just the section you want to talk about.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.