• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Number of tries scored by Maul 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
There's a piece of analysis brewing, but for it we need the number of tries scored by maul this year vs last. Could be by team, could by overall in comp.

Anyone seen any data?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some damn good game analysis here:
http://playerwelfare.worldrugby.org/?documentid=76

But they do not cover Super Rugby, nor do they cover the no of tries scored from a maul/rolling maul.

Their analysis of Try scoring is broken down into:
Origin of Tries territorially - Own Half, Halfway to 10 m, 10 m to 22 m, and 22 m to Goal line
Number of Ruck and Maul in build up to tries - 0 R/M, 1 R/M, 2 R/M, 3+ R/M
Source of Tries - Lineout, Scrum, Pen/FK, Kick, Turnover, Restart
No of passes in Build up to tries - 0, 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10+

While not directly addressing @Gagger's query, the data on that site does contain all sorts of interesting (to Rugby Nerds) facts and trend information about the game.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Best analysing who scored the tries. Guys like Pocock, Coetzee, Prinsloo, Lappies scored probably all bar 1 of their tries from mauls.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Lappies and Boom add to their tallies. I declare the 2015 RWC The World Cup of the Maul

That being the case lucky we can use the Brumbies maul as the model for the Wallabies with Pocock on the back. Lucky no one is putting the Brumbies / Wallabies model under any scrutiny pre WC like writing to SANZAR. publishing critical articles or banging on about it being illegally set up. or players incorrectly joining week in week out.;)

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Yep, righto....

Figured it was just an oversight he wasn't included in your the above list.

Afterthought maybe?:rolleyes:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
? Hooper has only scored 1 or 2 tries off a maul hasn't he? Just becaise Pocock has scored more from it doesn't mean he's better at it. The Brumbies use it and are better at it but the maul is all done by the other 7 blokes not the carrier.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
? Hooper has only scored 1 or 2 tries off a maul hasn't he? Just becaise Pocock has scored more from it doesn't mean he's better at it. The Brumbies use it and are better at it but the maul is all done by the other 7 blokes not the carrier.

Thanks. Does explain below comment for us and shows its nothing to do with a Tah / Hooper bias as its mainly about the other 7 blokes in the 3,4,5,6....... even as much as 13 in a maul. He is just one of the 7 in a 13 man maul.o_O

FWIW, I think Hooper is better at the back of the maul with his leg drive.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So, he's better at something without any evidence to support such claim due to a physical skillset that he also shares with the other player, but that's irrelevant because it doesn't come down to the individual anyways?

Glad we sorted that out quickly.............

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So, he's better at something without any evidence to support such claim due to a physical skillset that he also shares with the other player, but that's irrelevant because it doesn't come down to the individual anyways?

Glad we sorted that out quickly.....

Yep, otherwise we could have ended up in some evidenced based argument over the several tries Pocock did fluff by breaking off the back of the maul early which we all witnessed early on in the season...............

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If the maul is constructed and run better (as the Brumbies' is, legality of most mauls we see from most teams notwithstanding) then the guy at the back will score more and have to do less to actually get the try. Pocock is the beneficiary of a well-run maul; whether that means he is the point of difference is moot, but he must get some credit for being part of it. The Tahs are generally so poor at it, I couldn't really say if Hooper was any good at the back or not. You'd expect he'd have a good chance of getting over the line, being a good runner in / through contact in general, but I'm not sure it makes him better or worse than anyone on a maul.
The only good thing the Tahs do with a maul, is when Skelton breaks one. By and large.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So, Slim, can you imagine any possible way a team could stop the Wallabies scoring from 10m out using the Brumbies maul with Skelton in it it firm it up? What a weapon to have at a WC!

Ugly but it maybe puts the WC in reach.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies good at setting up mauls.......... Tahs good at breaking them.

With those powers combined............

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Brumbies good at setting up mauls.... Tahs good at breaking them.

With those powers combined....

Careful, that's pretty radical thinking!

That sort of thinking leads to other radical thoughts like having a good maul, and decent back-line attack could make teams struggle working out what to defend, and almost a balanced game plan.

Could mention the Brumbies good defence record this season but.........;)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So, Slim, can you imagine any possible way a team could stop the Wallabies scoring from 10m out using the Brumbies maul with Skelton in it it firm it up? What a weapon to have at a WC!

Ugly but it maybe puts the WC in reach.
I suspect other teams will be better at stopping them too.
I would not be surprised if there is some serious discussion behind the scenes prior to the RWC about mauling - coaches will have a chance to raise concerns about various issues I would think, and the increase (seemingly) in maul tries won't slip under the radar. Particularly around the set-up, the initial sack / disrupt or even back-off / "non-contest", and the "contestability" of them once in motion. We're seeing the quick pass back from the catcher now to avoid the issue of the catcher being sacked (one of the few times it can be stopped), but the set-up then becomes suspect (obstruction) almost impossible to defend, and once you have a train of players 3-4 long and 2 wide, what can you legally do?
I'm not anti-mauls, by the way, but I think one of the basic tenets of rugby, being a contest for possession, needs to be upheld, and currently, it often is not.
I have little doubt it will be a contentious issue at the RWC, one way or the other.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I doubt the maul will be referred the same in the RWC as it is in Super Rugby. Refs let the attacking side get away with murder in Super Rugby. We saw at least 7 maul tries this week didn't we?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I doubt the maul will be referred the same in the RWC as it is in Super Rugby. Refs let the attacking side get away with murder in Super Rugby. We saw at least 7 maul tries this week didn't we?
The NH teams have seemed to be a bit ahead of the game a bit in regards to spoiling, and I agree, it seems to be more closely scrutinised up there, in many games I've seen. We'll see. In any event, the Wallabies will need to put some serious time into training it, but also how they adapt to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.