• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ domestic competitions 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ranfurly Shield, Mitre 10 Cup and Heartland Championship draws have been released.

Ranfurly Shield: pre-season Challenges.

Holders Canterbury have kept up the tradition of accepting a pre-season Challenge from the top Heartland Championship side (Wanganui), and one from a neighbouring Heartland Union.

Canterbury v Wanganui, Wednesday 21 June at AMI Stadium
Mid-Canterbury v Canterbury, Friday 4 August at the Ashburton Showgrounds
Both matches wil be afternoon games, with kick-off times to be confirmed

Assuming Canterbury successfully defend those challenges, the first defence to Mitre 10 Cup opposition will be Otago on 27 August. Other scheduled challengers are:

08 Sep Southland
13 Sep Counties Manukau
30 Sep Waikato
06 Oct Taranaki

Should Canterbury lose any of these then the new holder will defend the Shield in all their remaining regular season home games (see link to draw below).

Mitre 10 Cup & Heartland Championship

Draws for the 14-team fully professional Mitre 10 Cup and 12-team amateur Heartland Championship have been released. These are closed competitions with no promotion/ relegation between the two.

http://files.allblacks.com/competitions/draws/2017_Mitre10Cup_Draw.pdf

http://files.allblacks.com/competitions/draws/2017_Heartland_Draw.pdf

The Mitre 10 Cup will again be played in Premiership and Championship divisions:

Premiership: Canterbury (defending champions), Auckland, Counties Manukau, Otago (promoted from Championship), Taranaki, Tasman, and Waikato.

Championship: Bay of Plenty, Hawkes Bay (relegated from Premiership), Manawatu, North Harbour, Northland, Southland, and Wellington.

Defending Heartland Champions are Wanganui (Meads Cup, top four teams after regular season) and North Otago (Lochore Cup, teams ranked fifth to eighth after regular season). Other teams are Buller, East Coast, Horowhenua-Kapiti, King Country, Mid Canterbury, Poverty Bay, South Canterbury, Thames Valley, Wairarapa-Bush, and West Coast.

All going well the Mitre 10 Cup blog will return just prior to kickoff on 17 August.

Reactions: mst

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You know you're really back in NZ when you flick on the TV on a pissing-down-wet Saturday arvo & they're showing a replay of Toyota Grassroots Rugby, feature match Uni v Linwood or more to the point K Read & R Mo'unga making their comebacks from injury. A week old but, hey, we don't (yet) have The Rugby Channel so beggars can't be choosers...............

Land Rover 1st XV Rugby starts next week on TRC (replays on SkySport will again be a week late) & in next to no time it'll be Heartland Rugby on the menu. Bliss.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's a possibility Piri Weepu could be playing Heartland Championship footy for Wararapa-Bush this year:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...-could-be-wairarapa-bush-next-marquee-signing

As noted in the article, W-B's last marquee player Zac Guildford is now with Waikato for the M10 Cup after carving it up in club footy.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...lacks-winger-zac-guildford-for-2017-mitre-cup

I hope for everyone's sake that he really has got his house in order this time........

Meanwhile the draws are out for both the M10 & HC:

http://files.allblacks.com/competitions/draws/2017_Mitre10Cup_Draw.pdf

http://files.allblacks.com/competitions/draws/2017_Heartland_Draw.pdf

Was hoping the mighty 'nua would have an away game v King Country or Thames Valley I could go to but, alas, the draw fairies haven't been kind in that regard. There's always the playoff though, I s'pose.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You know you're really back in NZ when you flick on the TV on a pissing-down-wet Saturday arvo & they're showing a replay of Toyota Grassroots Rugby, feature match Uni v Linwood or more to the point K Read & R Mo'unga making their comebacks from injury. A week old but, hey, we don't (yet) have The Rugby Channel so beggars can't be choosers.....

Land Rover 1st XV Rugby starts next week on TRC (replays on SkySport will again be a week late) & in next to no time it'll be Heartland Rugby on the menu. Bliss.

Lol just reading this post again WOB reminds me why I am beginning to look at where I will live when I come home!!

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
How does the Ranfurly Shield work?

Team who holds Ranfury Shield is chaellgend for it in their next 4 home games, and if they still hold it after that, every game is a shield challenge I think

Every home game for the Ranfurly Shield holder is a Shield challenge except for semis and finals.

Also, the holder will often take the Shield 'on the road' for away games against a lower division opponent/minnow during preseason of the NPC/ITM Cup/Mitre 10 Cup. Other than this, the Shield is not up for grabs during away games of the holder.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The holder at the beginning of the season has to accept at least seven challenges, five from teams in their competition (in practice, the Mitre 10 Cup) & two from the other (Heartland Championship). Most holders will play the HC sides pre-season against a near-neighbour (hence Mid Canterbury's challenge on 4 Augbust) and one of the Heartland champions (hence Wanganui, Meads Cup holders). Once the M10 starts every home game in the round robin is an automatic challenge.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Was hoping the mighty 'nua would have an away game v King Country or Thames Valley I could go to but, alas, the draw fairies haven't been kind in that regard. There's always the playoff though, I s'pose.

'Lol yep WOB, I back in Levin early August and was hoping HC kicked off by then, bugger a bit early and I think Athletic will be out of finals ,so may just have to smile politely at wifes family for weekend!!:confused:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
All 14 M10 Unions recorded a profit last year.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...-cup-structure-unlikely-to-change-before-2020

No total given but I do recall reading somewhere that Canterbury's was ~$5K so I'm guessing it won't be a large number, but obviously better than the combined loss of $1.3Mn for 2015 (mostly due to Otago & Wellington writing down assets & writing off bad investments, I believe).

Also some interesting stats on registered players esp in terms of the Super Rugby catchments:

Highlanders 13,000
Crusaders 20,800
Hurricanes 23,675
Chiefs 36,000
Blues 38,350

Total of 131,825

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Players that have played in Australia (except NZ Super Rugby players) that I can see:

Terrence Hepetema
Ben Volavola
Culum Retallick
Jamason Fa'ana Shultz
Nigel Ah Wong
Lalakai Foketi
Phil Kite
Guy Millar
Leon Power
Angus Ta'avao

I am sure I missed some.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ Michael Ala'alatoa & Peter Samu?

Notice how the lists are alphabetical by surname.... except Auckland's. Being different for the sake of being different is sooooo Auckland :)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
^^^^^^^ Michael Ala'alatoa & Peter Samu?

Notice how the lists are alphabetical by surname.. except Auckland's. Being different for the sake of being different is sooooo Auckland :)
I didn't bother with them as they were already playing Super Rugby for an NZ team.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.