• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ domestic competitions 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Geex the Lambs are certainly on a roll this year aren't they?

Efficient, effective and exciting. And they are bringing in youngsters who look like they were "born for this", rarely seeming to bring on someone who fails to make an impact.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

While I'm obviously happy with how they're going I don't think it's good for the comp to have one team that's quite that dominant.

Interesting to see that so many of the newbies are out of the Auckland schools system, another sure sign that there's something not quite right up those ways, it's not like Auckland are so overflowing with talent they can afford to lose guys like Ennor.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Interesting to see that so many of the newbies are out of the Auckland schools system, another sure sign that there's something not quite right up those ways, it's not like Auckland are so overflowing with talent they can afford to lose guys like Ennor.

Mostly in that they have a finite number of places available in the Auckland and Blues academies. Otherwise they've identified and developed plenty of talented players -- to various degrees -- since their reorganisation a few years ago.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

While I'm obviously happy with how they're going I don't think it's good for the comp to have one team that's quite that dominant.

Or that the coaching, systems and culture down south seems to get these players to the next level better.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mostly in that they have a finite number of places available in the Auckland and Blues academies. Otherwise they've identified and developed plenty of talented players -- to various degrees -- since their reorganisation a few years ago.

Clearly they're always going to be a nett exporter of players but geeze they seem to let an inordinate number of good 'uns get away.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's an interesting stat. Early days yet for the NRC but I wonder if we'll see similar.

I strongly suspect whoever compiled the stat included wider training & development squads but it's still an impressive number & much needed to offset the players being lost to NH or otherwise dropping out of the Super Rugby setups.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Game of two halves with a twist: first half so crap I nearly flicked over to Sky Movies, second half so good I'd have kicked myself if I'd done it. Harbour a tad fortunate at the end but fortune favours the brave etc.

Still trying to work out how neither the Taniwha prop nor Harbour lock got away with serial fisticuffs with no more than a "don't do it again or I'll have to say 'don't do it again' again" from the ref.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Still trying to work out how neither the Taniwha prop nor Harbour lock got away with serial fisticuffs with no more than a "don't do it again or I'll have to say 'don't do it again' again" from the ref.

Wasn't it the ref's first match at this level? Hoeta and Wilson certainly may have earned a rest with another offical in charge but I thought the ref had a reasonable match - one or two decisions he'll shake his head over when he watches the video but overall not bad.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Game of two halves with a twist: first half so crap I nearly flicked over to Sky Movies, second half so good I'd have kicked myself if I'd done it. Harbour a tad fortunate at the end but fortune favours the brave etc.

Hell I actually enjoyed whole game WOB, though second half was Mitre 10/ITM/NPC rugby as we love it, 2 teams giving everything with a bit of skill thrown in. Top game I thought.
Have to go along with 2blues in the ref I thought wasn't too bad for first game at this level, and personally I would of been a bit disappointed if anyone had been binned, was good bit of quietly sorting each other out going on;)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Aucks ensure they won't finish the Round last in the Premiership:

In the late game Charlie Ngatai has failed yet another HIA, gotta wonder how many more he can take. Looked fairly innocuous, too, inasmuch as a head clash ever can.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Waikato still in the top-4 but now seven points behind Taranaki who have played one less game. You'd have to class this as a major upset for the Turbos & their bucket-head fans:

EDIT: make that 5th as Tasman edge past them a win over Otago.

http://www.mitre10cup.co.nz

Coupla upsets in Heartland Week 4, too, with leaders & defending Meads Cup champions Wanganui the main casualty which opens the door for the mighty 'nua to go top of the table:

Thames Valley 26 (Harry Lafituanai, Alex Bradley, Hayden Wisnewski, George Lelenoa tries; Jarrod Goodall 3 con) Buller 7 (Anthony Tailua try; James Lash con). HT: 14-7

North Otago 28 (Don Lolo 2, Josh Buckham tries; Dan Lewis 2 con, 3 pen) King Country 26 (Alex Thrupp, Reece MacDonald tries; MacDonald 2 con, 4 pen). HT:

Poverty Bay 35 (Brody Lam 2, Isaia Vuki, Everard Reid, Jesse Fleming tries; Andrew Tuatevalu 2 pen; Ethine Reeves 2 con) East Coast 15 ( ). HT: 6-5

South Canterbury 21 (Marac Beckham, Kalavini Leatigaga, Brad Hemopo tries; Willie Wright 3 con) Wanganui 17 (Timoci Seruwalu try; Craig Clare 4 pen). HT: 7-14

Wairarapa Bush 24 (Eddie Cranston, Corey McFadzean, Epeli Rayaqayaqa. Soli Malatai tries; Tim Priest 2 con) Mid Canterbury 60 (Maleli Sau, Willie McGoon 2, Seta Koroitamana, Regan King 2, Nete Caucau, Kurt Polson, Angus Lindsay tries; Jarred Percival 6 con, pen). HT: 7-27

West Coast v Horowhenua Kapiti - Scores not available yet.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
West Coast 24 (Jared Ferguson 2, Dan Food, Regan Stanton tries; Sean McClure 2 con) Horowhenua Kapiti 19 (W Lander, I Ecksteen tries; James So'oialo con 2 pen). HT: 19-15

Meaning South Cant'y go top of the table with Wanganui 2nd & H-K 3rd. Hopefully they can get back in the winners circle next week 'cos you get the feeling Wanganui surely will.

http://www.heartlandchampionship.co.nz

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Clearly they're always going to be a nett exporter of players but geeze they seem to let an inordinate number of good 'uns get away.

Also a lot of those players in Auckland schools system are kids on scholarships from outside of the area, who return home or close to home.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Counties-Manukau keep the relegation battle alive:

Cantabs with a gale behind them but down by two converted tries, the first an off a try-saving intercept, the other from an astonishing in-and-away by Aumua on Bridge.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Time to coast in off Wellington's coat tails and get the sledging in before Auckland have to check in for their paddling.

It was like watching the attack on the Death Star. A rag tag bunch of second diversioners, boosted by a supremely talented youngster (Asafo Skywalker), take on mission impossible to defeat the evil empire's (CRU) massively overpowered, team destroying, super weapon (Canterbury rugby team) in spectacular fashion.

I didn't actually watch the match, but I'm sure there was a try analogous to the trench run. I mean there were eight to choose form. So chances are good.

Also, CanterLOL.

Think that about covers it.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
The three games in eight days for Canterbury *may* have contributed to the scoreline but Wellington were very impressive. In some ways this match was reminiscent of the last clash of the Hurricanes v Crusaders, won comfortably by the Hurricanes. In that match, as in this, the Canes dominated the breakdown and drove the Crusaders to error after error. Of course, Canterbury will look in the mirror for answers as to why the defeat was so comprehensive in the way that good teams learn from defeats rather than shrugging shoulders and saying that there's always next week. Uncharacteristically appalling passing will no doubt be discussed.

Well done Lions.

Finally, how good was Aumua's 60 metre try? I've seen this kid play a fair bit now and all I can say is "wow". Does his core duties well enough but adds the X factor with ball in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.