• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ domestic competitions 2018

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I didn't see Auckland's game, but it seems to have largely come down to defence. Given the steel curtain they were operating with the top side against Tasman and Canterbury (final few mins aside), and as disappointing as it may be, I'm willing to write it off as a consequence of the tournament's compact nature. Fortunately, once it's playoff time, you can roll out the first XV for every game instead of chopping and changing to manage workloads. Plus Henry is presumably in charge of the defence, so will have it sorted pretty quick, I think.

EDIT: I also see there's a bunch of injuries to important guys like Gibson (ugh, not again), Nanai, Faiane, Trainor and Fatialofa (I had been wondering where he was), ruling them out of consideration for the Otago match. Hopefully these are more short term and/or precautions instead of prolonged absences.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well zer0 I am wondering if it just a one of game in the loss to Otago, they just snuck in against the Naki last week, who were then smacked by NH. I really hope it just a blip, and not a team getting the 'Auckland Blues' as season unfolds. Some of them have looked pretty ordinary in last couple of weeks, and I find Akira a case in point, just as we start to think he was looking the goods, he seems to want to prove why he doesn't make the ABs, and he not alone in last few weeks in being a player who seems to have run out of puff/interest!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Getting down to the pointy end now:

Mitre 10 Cup, Rd 8

WEDNESDAY
Otago v Bay of Plenty
Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin
Kickoff: 7.35pm
TAB odds: Otago $1.25 Bay of Plenty $3.70

THURSDAY
Wellington v Auckland
Westpac Stadium, Wellington
TAB odds: Wellington $1.50 Auckland $2.45

FRIDAY
Hawke's Bay v Manawatu
McLean Park, Napier
TAB odds: Hawke's Bay $1.45 Manawatu $2.60

SATURDAY
Northland v Waikato
Toll Stadium, Whangarei
Kickoff: 2.35pm
TAB odds: Waikato $1.55 Northland $2.35

North Harbour v Counties Manukau
QBE Stadium, North Harbour
Kickoff: 5.05pm
TAB odds: North Harbour $1.30 Counties Manukau $3.30

Canterbury v Taranaki
Christchurch Stadium
TAB odds: Canterbury $1.20 Taranaki $4.20

SUNDAY
Southland v Bay of Plenty
Rugby Park, Invercargill
Kickoff: 2.05pm
TAB odds: N/A

Otago v Tasman
Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin
Kickoff: 4.35pm
TAB odds: N/A

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So at this point we can safely say that:

1. Tasman, Canterbury & Auckland will qualify for the Prem SF, but not necessarily in that order.
2. They'll be joined by either Wellington, esp if they can knock the wobbly-looking Aucks over, or North Harbour.
3. One of Taranaki or Countries-Manukau are gong down.
4. Waikato, Hawkes Bay, Northland & Otago will contest the Champ SF but not necessarily in that qualifying order.

MOTR looks like Wellys v Aucks closely followed by Northland v Waikato.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
The rightful way of the world is restored. Apparently. I had no idea the Auckland/Wellington match was on tonight.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Auckland got out of jail. Wellington were the better team for most of the game.

However - Auckland stepped up and took their chances. Faiane really stepped up at the end - leading from the front - he is having some M10 Cup season.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ain't no choke like a Wellington choke.......

I'd nowvlovevto see North Harbour pick up maximum points just to make the Wellys sweat even more.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting to watch the battles of Tana's nephews. Must admit I do enjoy watching the kids, nephews etc of ex players as they come through the ranks. I do wonder why Wellington don't get sponsorship from an ink supplier, they seem to have to like picking double barrel name players, and so if everyone wanted to print them out ....

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ long weekends & unveilings tend to go hsnd-in-hand, pretty sure you can relate :) Plus I didn't go to the tangi so to also miss the unveiling would be poor form: again, I'm sure you can relate.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^^^^^^ long weekends & unveilings tend to go hsnd-in-hand, pretty sure you can relate :) Plus I didn't go to the tangi so to also miss the unveiling would be poor form: again, I'm sure you can relate.

Can relate, and a better reason cannot be named

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hawkes Bay's roll continues:

Watching this over a few beers last night some random thoughts & info sorta kinda came together:

* Manawatu are crap, made a loss last year & according to someone who's normally on the money in this regard will make an even bigger loss this year that may even force them to ask NZR for a loan;

* Hawkes Bay have Premiership aspirations but don't really have the player base to be competitive, nor the finances to recruit the players they'd need to make them competitive.

* NZR could, therefore, lean on Manawatu & play to Hawkes Bay's aspirations & "suggest" that they re-boot the JV they had back in the late '90's. This would of course create an imbalance in the Mitre 10 Cup, but:

* Southland haven't won a game in about two years & according to my source re: Manawatu's problems are in real danger of defaulting on the loan NZR gave them in 2011;

* NZR apparently want a NZ presence in WSR should it get up & runnng (which it looks increasingly likely to);

* NZR could therefore "suggest" that Southland withdraw from M10 & join WSR. You'd make it more palatable by offering some debt relief & maybe giving them first dibs on loan players, plus offer them a way back into M10 by way of a playoff v whoever finishes last in the Championship.

I think the above makes more sense than some kinda "Mitre 10 Cup All Stars" that, once you've taken out all the Super Rugby- & NZR-contracted players, will mostly be journeymen at best with no natural support base.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yesterday's highlights:

Two matches today: Southland v BoP is meaningless (except Southland may rack up the longest losing streak in pro-era NPC history), while my Mako need to win big v Otago if they're to regain the Premiership lead over the сайтовs.

Heartland Championship-wise Te Aroha was a bridge too far for mighty 'nua & other results mean they're back to fifth with Wanganui as their last round-robin opponent. Oh well, maybe next year.

http://www.heartlandchampionship.co.nz/News/33213/meads-cup-aspirants-face-pressure-in-last-round

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As expected Southland have now equalled Northland's record 19 consecutive defeats in NPC top division history (record in all divisions is East Coast's current run of 40*):

To be fair to the Stags they did lead 22-19 late in the game but just couldn't close it out, nor get any reward for spending three minutes post-siren inside the BoP 22 & with a one-man advantage.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Big win for Mako under the roof in Dunners:

Mako back to top of the table over сайтовs, Aucks third but have a game in hand. Harbour & Wellys equal fourth, Harbour with the better PD.