• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ domestic competitions 2018

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
2. Will teams lose players to the All Blacks in the playoffs?

Yes and No. All Blacks coach Steve Hansen hasn't asked any of the 19 players scheduled to fly to Tokyo for the November 3 test against Japan to leave until after the Mitre 10 Cup is over (October 27).

That's good news for semifinalists Canterbury, Tasman, Wellington, and Otago, who all have players included in the group to join 10 other All Blacks in Japan for the test.

Canterbury have the largest contingent, with halfback Mitchell Drummond, five-five Brett Cameron, outside back George Bridge, lock Luke Romano and No 8 Luke Whitelock named.

"Obviously, if we do win [our semifinal], you'll be doing well to keep me out of playing a final," Romano told media on Thursday morning.

However, Auckland have lost openside flanker Dalton Papalii after he was named in the 32-man squad, which on Friday departs for Yokohama to prepare for Bledisloe III.

Loosehead prop Joe Moody (Canterbury) and hooker Dane Coles (Wellington), on the road back from injury, will front in the semfinals, before joining the All Blacks.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...canterbury-the-biggest-show-of-semifinal-week

"So yeah, we're gonna take away Auckland's best player to hold our tackle bags -- because he sure as hell ain't gonna play against Australia -- but let the Fatherland and the guys playing Auckland keep their starting All Blacks. Thus the Fatherland is going to have the best chance to put those Nelson upstarts in their place while Auckland's chances are gonna take a big hit thanks to my selectorial double whammy".

4029462C00000578-4510218-image-a-4_1494925808037.jpg

"Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Graham."

*Player "Steve Hansen" has leveled up their CANTAB skill.*

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Papali'i has a rib knock . that's why he's not playing.

At least Akira will play :)

Well I thought Aucklnad were playing Wellington this week, so you fellas may need to edit your moans:p. Bloody Aucklanders are developing into the top moaners in NZ rugby, first you moan because the laziest bastard in NZ rugby not in ABs, then you seem to be moaning because not enough cantabs are going and it has no effect on your team;):confused: Still at least zer0 now admitting that Akira is not really the flashest loose forward in Auckland let alone NZ!!!!

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Well I thought Aucklnad were playing Wellington this week, so you fellas may need to edit your moans:p. Bloody Aucklanders are developing into the top moaners in NZ rugby, first you moan because the laziest bastard in NZ rugby not in ABs, then you seem to be moaning because not enough cantabs are going and it has no effect on your team;):confused: Still at least zer0 now admitting that Akira is not really the flashest loose forward in Auckland let alone NZ!!!!

Yes Auckland are playing Wellington....who have Dane Coles made available by the ABs......cheers Hansen....

Thankfully Auckland do have the services of Taleni Seu - that's a nice surprise.

Don't worry I'm saving my moaning for when half the Auckland squad get picked up by other franchises in Super Rugby - just like last time we made the semi finals in 2015 and these fullas ended up at other franchises - Vince Aso, Ben Lam, Michael Fatialofa, Mitch Hunt, Taleni Seu, Mitch Karpick etc etc

Anyway here is the Auckland team

Sam Prattley (Pakuranga) Robbie Abel (College Rifles) Marcel Renata (University) Fa’atiga Lemalu (Papatoetoe) Michael Fatialofa (Ponsonby) Evan Olmstead (Suburbs) Adrian Choat (Waitemata) Akira Ioane (Ponsonby) Jonathan Ruru (University) Harry Plummer (Grammar TEC) Salesi Rayasi (Marist) TJ Faiane – Captain (Pakuranga) Tumua Manu (College Rifles) Melani Nanai (Manukau Rovers) Jordan Trainor (Ponsonby)

Bench - Mike Sosene-Feagai (Mt Wellington) Jarred Adams (Suburbs) Marco Fepulea’i (Ponsonby) Taleni Seu (Grammar TEC) Hoskins Sotutu (Marist) Desma Liaina (Eden) Jacob Umaga (Eden) Caleb Clarke (Suburbs)

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Is that Fatialofa's first game for the year as well? Timely return if so. He and Seu should somewhat off set the loss of Papali'i. Could've really done with Gibson to lead the defence, but Olmstead has been another good rugged Canadian import. I imagine he should end up in a franchise too. Hopefully the Blues.....

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Is that Fatialofa's first game for the year as well? Timely return if so. He and Seu should somewhat off set the loss of Papali'i. Could've really done with Gibson to lead the defence, but Olmstead has been another good rugged Canadian import. I imagine he should end up in a franchise too. Hopefully the Blues...

Fatialofa has already played some games this year for Auckland. He came off the bench last week vs Harbour.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Is that Fatialofa's first game for the year as well? Timely return if so. He and Seu should somewhat off set the loss of Papali'i. Could've really done with Gibson to lead the defence, but Olmstead has been another good rugged Canadian import. I imagine he should end up in a franchise too. Hopefully the Blues...

Apparently the Blues have had a quiet talk to him zer0, but you right he would be a bloody good pick up for them.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tasman: 1: Wyatt Crockett 2: Andrew Makalio 3: Tyrel Lomax 4: Quinten Strange 5: Pari Pari Parkinson 6: Ethan Blackadder 7: Jed Brown 8: Michael Curry 9: Finlay Christie 10: Mitchell Hunt 11: Solomon Alaimalo 12: David Havili 13: Levi Aumua 14: Lotima Faingaanuku 15: Will Jordan
Reserves: Ray Niuia, Tim Perry, Blair Prinsep, Alex Ainley, Braden Stewart, Jack Grooby, Timothy O’Malley, Tomas Aoake

Canterbury: 1: Joe Moody 2: Nathan Vella 3: Sef Fa’agase 4: Luke Romano 5: Mitchell Dunshea 6: Reed Prinsep 7: Billy Harmon 8: Luke Whitelock 9: Mitchell Drummond 10: Brett Cameron 11: Josh McKay 12: Phil Burleigh 13: Braydon Ennor 14: Caleb Makene 15: George Bridge
Reserves: Brodie McAlister, Alex Hodgman, Chris King, Tom Sanders, Tom Christie, Ere Enari, Sam Beard, Ngane Punivai

Wellington don't appear to have named their team yet or if they have I can't find it anywhere.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wellington: Wes Goosen, Ben Lam, Matt Proctor, Billy Proctor, Malo Tuitama, Jackson Garden-Bachop, Kemara Hauiti-Parapara, Teariki Ben-Nicholas, Mateaki Kafatolu, James Blackwell, Isaia Walker-Leawere, Sam Lousi, Jeff To'omaga-Allen, Asafo Aumua, Sitiveni Paongo. Reserves: Dane Coles, Tolu Fahamokioa, Joel Hintz, Galu Taufale, Du'Plessis Kirifi, Carlos Price, Losi Filipo, Trent Renata.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Looks like the Tasman v Canterbury game is now live on Fox tonight.

Just saw that Kiwi, so maybe we can just pray for tomorrow,s game Auckland/Wellington!! Son is laughing ,he lives in Italy and got them live over there!!:mad:

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
So is there a new law saying the tacked player can stand up and resume running with the ball during a breakdown or something?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So is there a new law saying the tacked player can stand up and resume running with the ball during a breakdown or something?

You talking about Romano zer0? I thought he had too, but maybe front on view I had to change my mind, he released ball and the breakdown hadn't formed , so I bit my tongue. Geez that was a good game of rugby, I thoroughly enjoyed it, even if perhaps the result disappointed me a bit!

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Pretty sure one of the Tasman players made contact with one of the Cantabrians over Romano which would constitute a breakdown. Annoyingly it's just excluded on the highlights, so will look for a replay tomorrow to double check.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bloodyсайтовs:

Headed down the line to Napier last night so only got to see last 10 min but wifey's cousin reckoned Mako were well in it until they started going to the bench & of course the yellow cards didn't help. Oh well, maybe next year.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Bloodyсайтовs:

Headed down the line to Napier last night so only got to see last 10 min but wifey's cousin reckoned Mako were well in it until they started going to the bench & of course the yellow cards didn't help. Oh well, maybe next year.

Yep Mako looked the good WOB, think Cantabs bench made more impact, and Mako scrum lost a bit of dominance after Crockett had finished giving Sef Fa'agase his scrummaging lesson and went off. If anyone wonders why Mitre 10 cup is so good for NZ rugby, watching last night's game is a classic case, there were a shit load of young guys and geez they would take lessons from playing with the experienced old heads like Crockett, Romano etc etc! But if you get a chnce to watch replay WOB, it well worth it !
If you do watch it WOB, will also help answer why Luke Whitelock is in ABs and Akira Ioane isn't! Luke did more work in one game last night than Akira has done all season, he hit rucks, he tackled and carried well.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Two young Aussie THPs. Must be doing at least one thing right over here.
Yep BR, sending them to NZ so they can learn their trade properly ;). Lol though Sef is saying things in press like I may change my support to ABs, and I sure it got nothing to do with him hoping to find a super contract over there.:p