• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ domestic competitions 2018

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
2i1jaw.jpg

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Auckland were brilliant - players who played out of their skin were Ruru, Faiane, Manu, Nanai and Whetton.

Papali'i and Akira were all class as per usual.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Enjoyed that Taniwha/Stags game. I really enjoy the Taniwha, they are what I enjoy about Mitre 10 rugby, just all seem to give it everything, only a couple of super players, and not really starters, but whole team seem to just play for each other, and like a lot of those teams, really look like they all pretty good mates. Matich at No 8 is a case in point for players to watch, just see how much work he gets through, try he scored he had been tackled, but got off ground bloody quick and took the pass to score. Mind you don't think hairdressers would ever bother sponsoring the team:D

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ I quite liked the Taniwha prop who decided to give the Stags loosie a rather gentle "don't lie there, bro", the look on his face when the ref reversed the penalty was priceless!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez what's Gibbes started feeding these boys? They playing like a team that is getting their shit together!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just looking at remaining fixtures for 'naki:

Aucks
Harbour
сайтовs
Wellywood

Not gonna get too many points out've that lot & look certain to be relegated.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Just looking at remaining fixtures for 'naki:

Aucks
Harbour
сайтовs
Wellywood

Not gonna get too many points out've that lot & look certain to be relegated.

How have you seen the Aussie/guys who've spent a lot of time in Aussie, WO?

I've seen bits of Debreczeni and Douglas (Northland), and Sione and Laloifi (Manawatu), but none really of: Andrew Ready, James Dargaville, Tayler Adams, Stuart Dunbar, Tyler Campbell, Robbie Abel, Nigel Ah-Wong, Levi Aumua, Sef Fa'agase, Tyrel Lomax, Jackson Garden-Bachop, Angus Ta'avao, Terence Hepetama, Paulo Leleisiuao, Nic Mayhew, Jack Whetton, Matthew Wilshire, Sam Malcolm.

I think that's all of them, may have missed some?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ that's quite a few, isn't it? Not sure who's pathways it says more about, NZ's or Straya's :)

Ta'avao is currently en route to Argentina & SA with the AB so someone obviously thinks he's done OK since crossing the ditch.

Lomax is still essentially a bench/ impact player but I believe that's 'cos they don't want to push him too far too fast: he'll be in the frame for AB's post-RWC from what I'm hearing.

Fa'agase says he wants to play Super Rugby for an NZ sides & would consider committing to NZ (which would greatly help him secure a Super Rugby contract), don't really know if he's up to that level but going OK for сайтовs.

Garden-Bachop continues to be Garden-Bachop, mostly solid & unspectacular but occasionally awful.

Laloifi was going well for Manawatu but picked up what looked like a nasty injury last time out, not sure how much more of him we'll see this year.

I'll keep an eye out for the others you've mentioned, many of whom I didn't know had Strayan connections.

dbcooper

Frank Nicholson (4)
How have you seen the Aussie/guys who've spent a lot of time in Aussie, WO?

I've seen bits of Debreczeni and Douglas (Northland), and Sione and Laloifi (Manawatu), but none really of: Andrew Ready, James Dargaville, Tayler Adams, Stuart Dunbar, Tyler Campbell, Robbie Abel, Nigel Ah-Wong, Levi Aumua, Sef Fa'agase, Tyrel Lomax, Jackson Garden-Bachop, Angus Ta'avao, Terence Hepetama, Paulo Leleisiuao, Nic Mayhew, Jack Whetton, Matthew Wilshire, Sam Malcolm.

I think that's all of them, may have missed some?

Robbie Abel has been tearing it up for Auckland. Probably the form hooker of the competition.

Dargaville has been poor for Harbour. No power in attack or defence. Doesn't look like a centre, looks like a slim wing trying to play centre. Centre is real weak spot for Harbour this year.

dbcooper

Frank Nicholson (4)
Jack Whetton has been really good for Auckland. High workrate, strong defence and ball carrying. Not slow either. Much improved since his time with the Brumbies. Being chased by NZ Super Rugby teams from what I've heard.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ son & nephew of AB's so certainly has the pedigree. A stint down Cheechee ways would do wonders for his career I'm thinking :).

Agree re: Abel, he was immense in the only two Aucks games I've seen this year (Mako & сайтовs). The player we hoped Aumua would be this year, you could say.

dbcooper

Frank Nicholson (4)
^^^^^^ son & nephew of AB's so certainly has the pedigree. A stint down Cheechee ways would do wonders for his career I'm thinking :).

Agree re: Abel, he was immense in the only two Aucks games I've seen this year (Mako & сайтовs). The player we hoped Aumua would be this year, you could say.

Hurricanes and Highlanders are the names I've heard. Presumably the Blues are interested too, but who knows with Tony Hanks and Umaga ...

Abel is a nephew of the Goings, and is a late bloomer due to taking time off to do several Mormon missions. Seems to have bloomed this year. :)