• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Domestic Competitions 2019

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
A bloke from sportsfreak.co.nz has written a nice piece on the days tiny Wanganui twice almost lifted the Shield off the then-Mighty Taranaki (as many as eight current or future AB in the '63 XV) in the mid-60's:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...he-ranfurly-shield-the-legend-of-colin-pierce

The "Part One" sub-heading has me hoping there's more to come!

Like that WOB, had a brother in law who played for Wanganui in those days. Most interesting to hear from him about playing for Wanganui back then, and even more about when he played for NZ army (and combined services), he was based in Singapore at one stage, but then was in Vietnam and sister always moaned NZ army were playing Pom army in Singapore, so they flew him out of Vietnam for the weekend so he could play then he buggered back over to carry on , she noted he never got special leave to come back to Singapore for anything else!:D

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^ Part Two features two of the bigger Shield upsets: Marlborough v Cantabs in '73 (Marlborough were once a sub-union of Canterbury & had fewer Clubs than the Christchurch Metro comp) & Second Division Waikato v Aucks in '80.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...devils-then-the-mooloo-men-go-on-the-stampede

Seem to remember the other shock was South Canterbury won shield off them in 74, think they only held it for 10 days or so and Wellington won it off them! Mind you Wellington only held it about a week or so and lost it to Auckland on their first defence, I remember I was at Athletic Park when Auckland did it!!!

I just realised I getting to be an old bugger who has chased this game for too bloody long!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ yeah but Wellington's win on 3 September 1974 should be asterisked as they were late submitting their challenge & IIRC South Cant'y were only told they had to accept it after they'd already defended it v North Otago on 31 August. So poetic justice they lost it immediately even if it was to the Aucks.

I'm hoping Part 3 of the series will feature Manawatu, that was one of the great eras what with the two draws (back to back?) v Cantabs & (?) Counties.

EDIT: I see Wellys had a successful defence & have a funny feeling it was v North Otago.

EDIT: not North Otago.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Part 3 of the Shield series features the controversial Hawkes Bay win over Wairarapa in 1927 (they were stripped of the Shield for fielding an ineligible player, despite Wairarapa having said it was OK for him to play); Cantabs going back on their promise to give Wellington, off whom they'd just taken the Shield, have a crack at it the following year; and the subsequent ill-feeling between those Unions that resulted in some pretty unsavoury stuff (some of the worst of which you'll find in the comments, not the article).

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...anterbury-break-a-gentlemans-promise#comments