• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Domestic Competitions 2019

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Late charge by Cantabs but Wellys hold on for the win:

Wellington 23 (Vince Aso, Du'Plessis Kirifi, Alex Fidow tries; Jackson Garden-Bachop con, 2 pen) Canterbury 22 (Josh McKay, Mitchell Dunshea, Harry Allan tries; Brett Cameron 2 con, pen)

Halftime: 8-10

Fifita has a knee injury, severity unknown, that may rule him out of RWC contention (assuming he was ever in contention in the first place:)):

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...fita-sits-out-wellingtons-win-over-canterbury

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Nek minnit Wellys lay on three quality tries. Cantabs soon to be 0/3 which I imagine they haven't been for a very long time.

Well that game improved in 2nd half, by geez have you seen a more mobile front row than Wellingtons? That Numia has got some bloody pace for a prop, add him in with Aumua and Fidow, and I think they quickest front row in my memory. Still can't get excited about Garden-Bachop at 10, I hope the Canes got someone else lined up next year!

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Rieko's form is worryingly bad. His game has fallen off a cliff in the last few weeks.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Taniwha 20 must be feeling shit right now. Drops it cold to gift 'naki the ball, has a grab at an overhead pass but can't reel it in & TTT scampers away for the try.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Guy in the Taniwha suit gesticulating windy at lineout time but players obviously can't work out what he's trying to communicate so he throws his arms up in disgust & walks in circles for a bit. Must be hard being mascot & lineout coach simultaneously :).

HT 'naki 14-7 Taniwha who had a pretty decent breeze more-or-less behind them.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cantabs soon to be 0/3 which I imagine they haven't been for a very long time.

1992 it turns out.

Taranaki 52 (Sean Wainui 2, Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, Jackson Ormond 2, Tupou Vaa'i, Daniel Waite, Jayson Potroz tries; Waite 6 con) Northland 19 (Ross Wright, Renata Roberts-Ta Nana, Corey Te Whata-Colley tries; Jack Debreczeni 2 con). HT: 14-7

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...hland-to-power-to-the-top-of-the-championship

Sets up a potential epic match v Tasman next Sunday in NewP.

Southland hosting Harbour & for the first time probably ever there's more 'nesian than Scottish surnames on their team sheet.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Southland just don't have it in them to win, they must have blown at least 4 tries because of last pass getting dropped or intercepted! Geez that backline is pretty ordinary!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
IMG_0884.PNG

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wellys' defence of the Jonah Lomu Memorial Trophy v Counties Manukau about to begin.

IMG_0558.JPG

Probably more importantly the loser will have a lot of ground to make up in order the make the Prem SF.

No AB officially released for M10 duty this week but it's been suggested that Crotty might turn out for Cantabs as he hasn't played in about two months.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Two late tries, the second well after the hooter, get Wellys home:

Wellington 29 (Wes Goosen, James Blackwell, Billy Proctor, Du'Plessis Kirifi tries, Jackson Garden-Bachop 3 con, pen) Counties Manukau 22 (Sikeli Nabou, Kalione Hala, Orbyn Leger, Malgene Ilaua tries, Riley Hohepa con).
HT: 7-12

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...unties-manukau-thanks-to-try-after-the-hooter

Both tries scored after Donald Maka binned for repeated team infringements (8 on the bounce I think it was).