• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Domestic Competitions 2019

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
North Otago 25-11 Wairarapa Bush (sorry, Finsbury Girl) at Forsyth Barr in the Shield curtain-raiser.

Shield match all action, Manawatu up 14-7 nearing end of first quarter & Otago's try an intercept to Koroi. Hemopo having a good game for the 'tu & Otere Black a wonderful long ball for their second try.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez I enjoyed that game WOB, I love a shield challenge! The Tu gave it their best shot, and was most impressed the way they were hitting anything that moved, including rucks etc, but Otago absorbed it all. I have to say seeing Nick Crosswell in 7 for the Tu remined me why I like him as a player so much, one of those players who has been around for a long time, plays for Fielding Yellow in club (but I forgive him) and just gives it everything whenever he on field, doesn't matter where he fills in, not an AB by any means , but the type of player that makes NZ rugby what it is I reckon!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ not saying any of the calls were necessarily wrong but guys have been carded for lifting tackles no worse than Koroi's; tries have been disallowed for less contact than occurred between Black & Tomkinson (?); and awarded despite more contact than the one 'tu had rubbed out. Throw in Koroi's freakshow late try assist & that's potentially game right there.

King Country 34-12 Buller last night. Remaining Heartland fixtures this arvo as is Heartland XV v Samoa - 2pm at Eden Park.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^ not saying any of the calls were necessarily wrong but guys have been carded for lifting tackles no worse than Koroi's; tries have been disallowed for less contact than occurred between Black & Tomkinson (?); and awarded despite more contact than the one 'tu had rubbed out. Throw in Koroi's freakshow late try assist & that's potentially game right there.

King Country 34-12 Buller last night. Remaining Heartland fixtures this arvo as is Heartland XV v Samoa - 2pm at Eden Park.

Yep I wondered about lifting tackle WOB, and I thought he would go, but I also happy with no card, as he didn't actually lift legs ,he was actually holding him around waist, so can live with that, I did tend to think Black was obstructed and that try could well of been rubbed out. So is Shield rugby, I was pretty keen on the Tu taking it home to Palmy too, Otago will lose it in next few weeks anyway and I would of liked someone else to have it before it went to premiership team!

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Waikato's scrum...

giphy.webp

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
By geez did I see Akira's twin brother come on in a prop's body, or do Auckland do there rehab at KFC now!! I thought he had put on a bit of weight when he was playing for the Maori, but f*** me has he ballooned now!! Still he has learnt to hit rucks, even if it a cheap late shot!
I imagine the Auckland supporters must be a little disappointed, as they seem to of gone backwards a bit this year, I not sure what what the problem is, they seem to of lost a bit of the edge they had last year, or in this game they did, just a little sloppy in a few things. Still they up there and may come right. Waikato didn't seem to want to last game either, a little disappointing game I thought.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mount Taranaki ('twas Egmont when I lived in those parts 1972-76) partially visible which reminds me of the local saying "if you can't see the mountain it's raining; if you can see the mountain it's gunna rain". Also "it's only rained twice this week, the first for three days & the other for three as well."

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Couple of good games today, that Naki/Mako game was a proper game of rugby, the happiest people after that would be Otago, as the Naki might find it fairly hard to get up for a game next week, even a shield challenge, and they might have a few still crocked!