• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Nz domestic rugby 2020

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez Mr Reasonable could you occasionally at least pretend to be outraged "frigging Clan poachers" or some such :)

EDIT: Apparently 'canes made NM-S an offer, which he declined, probably for the reason you've stated i.e. in Dunners he's almost certainly in the 23 if not the XV but that's not necessarily the case in Wellywood.

tvnz now reporting that Bender is back in NZ & likely to rejoin Clan in time for SRA.

Well I tried to build up some outrage, but bugger me I getting old:confused:. Anyway it goes without saying they are poaching bastards, but I still DP's mobs used all my outrage when the dirty bastard jafa bastards poachers got BB!:mad:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
An historic day for NZ rugby:

IMG_0984.JPG

Nelson College (in the hoops they wear to this day) v Nelson Football Club, believed to be the first game of Rugby Union Football played in NZ, on 14 May 1870. NFC won 2-0, the only methods of scoring being goals kicked from a free kick, mark, or conversion of a "touchdown", all three being worth one point.

"Charles Monro, son of the then Speaker of the New Zealand Parliament, Sir David Monro, has been termed the “father of New Zealand rugby”.He played rugby as a student at Christ College, Finchley, England, and introduced the rules to the Nelson Football Club in January 1870. He suggested a match be played against Nelson College, whose headmaster, Rev. F.C. Simmons, was himself a former student of Rugby School, as were his two predecessor principals. This led to the historic match four months later.

"Each team had 18 players, a number agreed by the captains before the match, made up of 10 forwards, three half-backs, three three-quarters and two fullbacks. The college team was decked out in tight-fitting shirts and blue caps, while the “town” team sported street clothes, having no particular uniform."

http://www.theprow.org.nz/events/new-zealand-first-game-of-rugby/#.XrxIwvl5ahA

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/121496793/nelson-museum-celebrates-150-years-of-rugby-in-new-zealand

The rules were refreshingly brief:

http://www.theprow.org.nz/assets/files/Rugby-laws.pdf

There is no record of 7 Black being orrrfsiide all fuckin' day but as NFC were in street clothes it's entirely possible that he was :)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
An historic day for NZ rugby:

View attachment 11473

Nelson College (in the hoops they wear to this day) v Nelson Football Club, believed to be the first game of Rugby Union Football played in NZ, on 14 May 1870. NFC won 2-0, the only methods of scoring being goals kicked from a free kick, mark, or conversion of a "touchdown", all three being worth one point.

"Charles Monro, son of the then Speaker of the New Zealand Parliament, Sir David Monro, has been termed the “father of New Zealand rugby”.He played rugby as a student at Christ College, Finchley, England, and introduced the rules to the Nelson Football Club in January 1870. He suggested a match be played against Nelson College, whose headmaster, Rev. F.C. Simmons, was himself a former student of Rugby School, as were his two predecessor principals. This led to the historic match four months later.

"Each team had 18 players, a number agreed by the captains before the match, made up of 10 forwards, three half-backs, three three-quarters and two fullbacks. The college team was decked out in tight-fitting shirts and blue caps, while the “town” team sported street clothes, having no particular uniform."

http://www.theprow.org.nz/events/new-zealand-first-game-of-rugby/#.XrxIwvl5ahA

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/121496793/nelson-museum-celebrates-150-years-of-rugby-in-new-zealand

The rules were refreshingly brief:

http://www.theprow.org.nz/assets/files/Rugby-laws.pdf

There is no record of 7 Black being orrrfsiide all fuckin' day but as NFC were in street clothes it's entirely possible that he was :)

And I was able to point out to wife it being a very auspicious week, our 47th Wedding anniversary and even more importantly 150 years since rugby was first played in NZ. Not actually sure she entirely agreed with my order of things but c'est la vie!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
SRA players return to training on Monday with a few new things to get their heads around:

"New Zealand’s Super Rugby players and their families are being asked to take extra stringent steps to steer clear of the Covid-19 virus as the revamped Aotearoa competition moves towards its June 13 kickoff.

"Measures extend to players and their families being told to bypass public places and teams operating in a strict bubble that will see them avoid interaction with even their own front-office staff. No chances are being taken ahead of what’s seen as a pivotal juncture for the sport amid the coronavirus pandemic."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...-staunch-measures-ahead-of-the-big-resumption

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
"Measures extend to players and their families being told to bypass public places and teams operating in a strict bubble that will see them avoid interaction with even their own front-office staff. No chances are being taken ahead of what’s seen as a pivotal juncture for the sport amid the coronavirus pandemic."

Guessing that like the equally disneylandy NH diveball they'll be testing regularly and if ONE player tests positively the entire franchise is quarantined 2 weeks? Yeah, can see that ending well.

#Akira

#KFC

#C19positive

#it_wasn't_me_c**t
#rugby_shutdown_again

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
wow, I must've missed the memo about rugby no longer being a contact sport.....
When asked what the ramifications were should a player test positive, Robinson said: "It is very situation-dependent, who it is, how they present, how many close contacts they've had,
1nkw6l.jpg

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I suspect it's more the result of having a few weeks off for effectively a longer preseason. If so, would be another bit of evidence to support not flog players into the ground for 10/11 months a year, as they do in Europe.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sumo on 1news reports that negotiations between NZR, the M10 Unions & RUPA are effectively stalemated with players being asked to accept a 30% pay cut so that the Unions can afford to pay them. North Harbour & Taranaki said to be struggling as are perennial battlers Northland, Southland & Manawatu. Also says that Sky's broadcast budget will only stretch to five games a week not seven.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
What does it mean WOB in your opinion? Is there doubt about the M10/Heartlands comps getting off the ground this year, or is it likely some clubs will give it a miss until next year? Will it have any repercussions for the proposed Competition involving the Super franchises?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ SRA is locked in & the players have already accepted a pay structure so no worries there provided the remaining Covid restrictions (other than those at the border) are removed or sufficiently relaxed in time. We'll know a little more on Monday when cabinet will likely approve the next round of relaxations & set a date for the next after that.

M10 will proceed but perhaps without the "crossover" matches between Premiership & Championship teams: that would get them down to six games a week & suitably scheduled double headers to, in effect, five, plus obviously reduce travel costs. Southland & Manawatu, already heavily in debt to NZR, will, I think, be given either additional funding, a payment holiday on their existing debt, or both. As I understand it Taranaki are likely to be bailed out of their issues without needing NZR's help while Northland & North Harbour's aren't insurmountable, either.

Heartland is amateur & only SF & Finals are live on Sky so I think it, too, will proceed but I wouldn't be surprised if NZR split it into Northern & Southern conferences for the regular season (top two from each contest the Meads Cup, 3rd & 4th the Lochore), also to get the costs down.

EDIT: also it's election year, Election Day is 19 September & whereas the government is currently at 56% in the polls & the opposition at 31, woe betide the government that gets between kiwis & their footy, esp in the provinces! So I think Finance Minister Robertson may just find a way to channel some funding rugby's way.