• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Nz domestic rugby 2020

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Dan and WOB, better keep a weather eye on the street protests. Social distancing seems to have gone out the door.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^ yeah, this morning Jacinda gave the strongest indication yet that we'll go to Level 1 next Wednesday, just in time for SRA & father-in-law's 75th birthday bash.

Sounds more likely all the time WOB, now all we need is a travel bubble, my father-in-law is in hospital and struggling a bit, as he almost 93, really want to get back.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ it's a done deal (although I'm not sure how 2-3000 breaking social distancing regs at protests requires all 5Mn of us to go from L2 to L1), framework being announced at 1:30pm today & whereas Jacinda keeps saying no announcement will be made before Monday, the way this is moving I wouldn't be surprised if it gets announced Friday with immediate effect.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Blues have kindly confirmed Carter won't be playing the first round v Hurricanes. You're welcome.

I am sure on behalf of all Canes' men we can say our gratitude know no bounds. Bastards!!!!

I am looking forward to a good couple of rounds of Kiwi spite with each other! All Kiwis posting on this forum had better declare their allegiances and I expect after a disrupted season we are entitled to a bit of banter, as there can be no upsetting Aussie posters, and get told to piss off from Aussie forum!
Ok We Got KiwiM, and our Pitcairn Island nomad Dismal with those poaching bastards the Blues!!!! F***en Jafa bastards!
WOB obviously Crusaders who will be relieved that the Blues maybe getting called Poaching bastards for a change !!
Myself being maybe the only really good guy, and obviously above reproach because I am a Cane's man!!
Who we got for the Clan and Chiefs?
And what Aussie posters are prepared to name a team and be prepared to put up with any shit?? I will take applications to join Cane men as we do like to keep a reasonable standard with our lot!!
Time to start having some fun and kick this Virus shit to touch!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Bring on the niggle between Akira and Dane Coles!

PFFFT Akira?? Akira??? Only a Jafa would think he even think he got the right to clean Coles boots let alone indulge in any niggle with him. Of course now you got a coach that not impressed with players who keep their fan club at KFC, he probably won't even get on field!!
And to top it off Coles is a NUA boy, so he probably would just ignore a lesser person!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
An historic day for NZ rugby:

View attachment 11473

Nelson College (in the hoops they wear to this day) v Nelson Football Club, believed to be the first game of Rugby Union Football played in NZ, on 14 May 1870. NFC won 2-0, the only methods of scoring being goals kicked from a free kick, mark, or conversion of a "touchdown", all three being worth one point.

"Charles Monro, son of the then Speaker of the New Zealand Parliament, Sir David Monro, has been termed the “father of New Zealand rugby”.He played rugby as a student at Christ College, Finchley, England, and introduced the rules to the Nelson Football Club in January 1870. He suggested a match be played against Nelson College, whose headmaster, Rev. F.C. Simmons, was himself a former student of Rugby School, as were his two predecessor principals. This led to the historic match four months later.

"Each team had 18 players, a number agreed by the captains before the match, made up of 10 forwards, three half-backs, three three-quarters and two fullbacks. The college team was decked out in tight-fitting shirts and blue caps, while the “town” team sported street clothes, having no particular uniform."

http://www.theprow.org.nz/events/new-zealand-first-game-of-rugby/#.XrxIwvl5ahA

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/121496793/nelson-museum-celebrates-150-years-of-rugby-in-new-zealand

The rules were refreshingly brief:

http://www.theprow.org.nz/assets/files/Rugby-laws.pdf

There is no record of 7 Black being orrrfsiide all fuckin' day but as NFC were in street clothes it's entirely possible that he was :)

It now appears that this may in fact have been the first match in NZ, almost a year prior to the one in Nelson:

IMG_0994.JPG

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/121734901/the-great-150yearold-myth-of-new-zealand-rugby-exposed

Palenski is an old-school journo & thoroughly researches before writing so I'd put good money on him being right about this. I may even go out & buy his book (which is, of course, the reason for the article in the first place :)).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So it was Whanganui that played the first game maybe? Bloody Southern types claiming it huh??
I actually find it quite interesting with these historical links, some of my family did a family history thing and and found obituaries in papers from early 1900s that indicated my great grandfather more or less started the South Auckland rugby union (now Counties) and my grandfathers also said that the 2 always travelled to Auckland (the lived in Waiuku) for any important game and never missed an international. Makes you wonder how these lot all did it as most was by horse and cart in the arly parts. Anyway it gave me a way to shut up Missus Dan54 when she moans about my time spent in rugby, I simply point to book and say it's hereditary and there nothing I can or want to do about it!!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep well ancestors arrived in NZ 1840 so ..............................................

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
With NZ almost certainly moving to Level 1 from Thursday meaning SRA won't have to be played in empty stadia, I wonder if they might take a look at the kickoff times: 3:05 Sunday is great & I hope they keep it but maybe the Saturday games should be at 7:05 rather than 5:05?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Government has dished out another $4.6Mn to help professional sport survive Covid:

Netball $2.2Mn to be split between their six ANZ Prem Netball teams
Rugby $1.25Mn to be split between the five Super Rugby franchises
Phoenix FC $950K
Warriors RLC $200K
Basketball $0 & they're not happy:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/baske...ter-slams-funding-snub-its-a-kick-in-the-guts

This is part of the $265 for sport announced last month & on top of the roughly $5Mn pro sports have already received, mostly by way of the government's salary subsidy scheme:

Rugby $3.7Mn
Warriors $540K
Phoenix $282K
Netball $273K

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/sport/418246/professional-sports-get-more-funding-top-up

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
With NZ almost certainly moving to Level 1 from Thursday meaning SRA won't have to be played in empty stadia, I wonder if they might take a look at the kickoff times: 3:05 Sunday is great & I hope they keep it but maybe the Saturday games should be at 7:05 rather than 5:05?

I have a funny feeling that 5.05pm kick off is si kids would be able to watch it happily on TV, so imagine it be the same for live crowds?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ moving to Level 1 effective midnight tonight & Loss Bleus have already announced that adult tix for 'canes match will be priced from $20, kids free with a paying adult. Clan yet to announce what they'll do for Tribe match but you'd think it'll be the same or similar.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
NZ moving to Level 1 effective midnight tonight & Loss Bleus have already announced that adult tix for 'canes match will be priced from $20, kids free with a paying adult. Clan yet to announce what they'll do for Tribe match but you'd think it'll be the same or similar.

Sounds great to me.