• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Domestic Rugby 2021

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Super Rugby Aotearoa pre-season starts on Friday & there's a couple of new World Rugby-approved Law Variations:

Goal line drop-out

Scenarios

1. When an attacking player carrying the ball is held up in the in-goal or knocks the ball on in the in-goal, play restarts with a goal line drop-out.
2. When a kick (excluding a penalty kick, drop kick attempt, kick-off or play restart kick) goes into the in-goal area and is grounded, or otherwise made dead by the defending team, play restarts with a goal line drop-out.
Notes:
* The drop-out is taken on or behind the defending team’s goal line.

* The drop-out must be taken without delay. The ball must cross the 5m line.

* If the drop-out is not executed correctly the receiving team has the option of asking for the kick to be retaken or being awarded a 5m scrum.

* If the kick is taken on the full by a defender in their in-goal area, the defender may claim a mark and play restarts with a free kick on the 5m line in line with the place of the mark.

* If a player from the attacking team causes the ball to go into touch-in-goal or over the dead-ball line, then the defending team will have the option of taking a 22m drop out or a scrum at the place that the ball was kicked.

* If the ball crosses the 5m line but then bounces, is blown back by the wind or deflected back, play continues.

* If a goal line drop-out goes out on the full, the receiving team has the option of either: asking for a re-kick, a scrum feed on the 5m line in line with where the kick was taken, or throwing to a lineout on the 5m line. 

* The receiving team must be back at least 5m and cannot charge the kick. The sanction for charging the kick is a free kick 10m up field.

* The team receiving the ball from a goal line drop-out, can not score a dropped goal until the ball has gone through one phase of play.

* If the ball hits the kicking team’s posts during a goal line drop-out and the ball goes dead, then the receiving team has the option of a 5m attacking scrum in line with where the kick was taken or can ask for a re-kick.

Captain’s referral

There are three scenarios under which a captain’s referral can be made:
1. For an infringement before a try is scored, at any time from the last restart in play. (Previously, the TMO could only go back two phases).
2. Foul Play: A captain can refer a referee to an act of foul play he thinks has been missed by the match officials.
3. After the 75-minute mark, including any period of extra time, the captain can use his referral to challenge any referee’s decision, not just those leading to a try.

How it will work
* Captains get one referral per match.

* When he wants to use his referral, the captain will tell the referee what they want checked and confirm they are using their captain’s referral. For example: “Ref, we think there was a knock on at the last ruck before this try. Can you check please.”

* The referee will ask the TMO to look at the footage and advise whether the referral was correct, or not.

* Once a ruling has been made on the referral, play will resume.

* If the captain’s referral is correct, then they get to keep that referral to use again.

* If they are incorrect and their referral is over-ruled, they lose it.

* The captain must make a referral within 10 seconds of a try being scored, a referee’s decision, or a stoppage in play.

* The captain must be specific about what they are referring.

* Anything referred must be ‘clear and obvious’ in the TMO’s review.

* The captain cannot use his referral to stop play following a quick tap penalty or quick throw-in. 

* Scrum and lineout are not part of the referral process.

The Golden Point & Red Card Replacement Variations introduced last season will remain in effect.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...nges-for-super-rugby-aotearoa-copied-from-nrl

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
SRA draw:

IMG_1064.JPG

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
2021 pre-season schedule:

Crusaders v Highlanders, Friday 12 February, 5.30pm, Temuka (Sky Sport 1)
Hurricanes v Blues v Chiefs, Saturday 13 February, 12pm, Upper Hutt (Broadcast TBC)
Highlanders v Hurricanes, Friday 19 February, 6pm, Alexandra (Sky Sport 1)
Blues v Crusaders, Saturday 20 February, 3.35pm, Eden Park (Sky Sport 1)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Crusaders v Highlanders

When: Friday, 5.30pm

Where: Temuka Rugby Club

Crusaders (first half): Josh McKay, Chay Fihaki, Rene Ranger, Isaiah Punivai, Leicester Fainga’anuku, Fergus Burke, Mitchell Drummond, Whetukamokamo Douglas (c), Tom Christie, Ethan Blackadder, Quinten Strange, Will Tucker, Michael Ala'alatoa, Brodie McAlister, Isileli Tu’ungafasi.

Crusaders (second half): Chay Fihaki, Timoci Tavatavanawai, Leicester Fainga’anuku, Tim O’Malley, Tomas Aoake, Brett Cameron, Ere Enari, Brendon O’Connor, Sione Havili, Anton Segner, Zach Gallagher, Luke Romano (c), Oliver Jager, Nathan Vella, Tamaiti Williams.

Reserves: Siua Maile, Fletcher Newell, Mahonri Ngakuru, Te Ahiwaru Cirikidaveta

Highlanders (first half): Connor Garden-Bachop, Ngane Punivai, Fetuli Paea, Jona Nareki, Mitch Hunt, Folau Fakatava, Teariki Ben-Nicholas, Billy Harmon, Hugh Renton, Jack Regan, Josh Dickson, Siate Tokolahi, Liam Coltman, Daniel Lienert-Brown.

Highlanders (second half): Connor Garden-Bachop, Freedom Vahaakolo, Michael Collins, Thomas Umaga-Jensen, Scott Gregory, Caleb Makene, Teariki Ben-Nicholas, Sean Withy, Sione Misiloi, Bryn Evans, Manaaki Selby-Rickit, Jermaine Ainsley, Ricky Jackson, Ethan de Groot.

MeanGreen

Frank Row (1)
Thanks for the info - anyone figure how to watch the trials in AUS? Looks like Stan Sport isn't up and running yet

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ first time I've known trials to be covered live in nz & given the venues it'll be pretty basic coverage I'd imagine so can understand why Aus broadcasters might pass on them this week. Next week could be different, tho.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
HT Clan 26 - 0 CruSadists who are, as they say in the classics, lucky to have that many. Four tries to zip, Clan making ground wherever they want whenever they want. Probably totally new XV's in the second half so hopefully CruSadists go better (they couldn't possibly go worse).

For those wondering how Folau Fakatava would go at the next level I can report that he's doing exactly what he did for the Magpies last year. Definite AB this year or next.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
CruSadists with two unanswered converted tries pull it back to 14-26 but the on-screen clock, after disappearing at HT, is showing 00:00 so I've no idea if it's too little too late....

Edit: comm says ten to go so enough time to score twice more for the W.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
CruSadists get no. four, 26-26 with kick to come from pretty much the sideline. Or maybe not, late call for TMO: not sure if from ref or Clan captain. Try stands. Cameron adds the extras like a true AB #10 :)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Clan get a last-seconds penalty, Makene's shot hits the post & bounces back infield, somehow ends up back in-goal & forced by CruSadists, game over. Last play hard to tell what happened as they've only got two cameras, both are on halfway & neither clearly showed what happened post-kick. Interesting that Clan challenged CruSadists' try but CruSadists didn't challenge the ruling for Clan PK. I'm sure that'll change as teams get used to the concept & im not convinced that's a good thing.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep WOB, I saw nothing to suggest the referral adds anything but early days. It was a real preseason hit out, but it was rugby for me to watch and of course I did. You right Fakatavav showed he is going to be ok at this level. One thing I did notice, Connor Garden-Bachop when he ran looked to have a style almost exactly the same as his father, always amuses me how the same running style can be seemingly passed on.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ speaking of early days I couldn't help but notice that ~ 10 min in a nothing in-goal dab by Clan "earned" a line dropout when the CruSadist wing forced it under no pressure when he could easily have made it back into the field of play & set up what I suppose will eventually be described as an old-school exit. I'm all for rewarding positive play but aimlessly putting the ball in-goal 'cos you can't think what else to do ain't positive play imo.

Edit: all of the above being said, like you I'll take some rugby over no rugby all day long every day of the week.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^ speaking of early days I couldn't help but notice that ~ 10 min in a nothing in-goal dab by Clan "earned" a line dropout when the CruSadist wing forced it under no pressure when he could easily have made it back into the field of play & set up what I suppose will eventually be described as an old-school exit. I'm all for rewarding positive play but aimlessly putting the ball in-goal 'cos you can't think what else to do ain't positive play imo.

Edit: all of the above being said, like you I'll take some rugby over no rugby all day long every day of the week.

Yep I was wondering if it added much to game, in a few weeks that winger would just pick it up and either set up ball or when under no pressure like that kick it to touch. Still we may get more lineouts;)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yep WOB, I saw nothing to suggest the referral adds anything but early days. It was a real preseason hit out, but it was rugby for me to watch and of course I did. You right Fakatavav showed he is going to be ok at this level. One thing I did notice, Connor Garden-Bachop when he ran looked to have a style almost exactly the same as his father, always amuses me how the same running style can be seemingly passed on.

Yep, I think Clan got the best G-B, the boy sure can play. Assume he's Samoa-eligible so wouldn't be surprised to see him in their setup at some point.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZHurld reporting that if the Trans-Tasman travel bubble isn't open in time for SRT-T SRAo will be pushed out to a third round.

Playing TT in Aus isn't considered viable as players would have to quarantine for 14 days on return to NZ & those who go on to make AB would have to do another 14 days upon returning from TRC and/ or Bledisloe match(es) later in the year, this is seen as too onerous on the players. A decision will need to be made soon, MIQ places are fully booked until June.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep,perhaps the TT may not quite make it this year, unfortunately the latest outbreak in Melbourne shows how far away we maybe.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Game of three halves didn't go well for Loss Bleus:

Chiefs 19 (Samisoni Taukei’aho, Luke Jacobson, Samipeni Finau tries, Bryn Gatland 2 con) Hurricanes 14 (James O’Reilly, Ruben Love tries, Love 2 con)

Chiefs 12 (Shaun Stevenson, penalty try tries) Blues 5 (Harry Plummer try)

Hurricanes 14 (Jonathan Taumateine, Wes Goosen tries, Jackson Garden-Bachop 2 con) Blues 5 (Zarn Sullivan try)

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...s-and-hurricanes-during-super-rugby-preseason

dbcooper

Frank Nicholson (4)
Blues vs Canes
Sullivan
Kneepkens
Grindlay
T. Tele'a
Lam
Black
Christie
Rush
Choat