• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Provincial Rugby - ITM Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There has been discussion about the costs of producing Rugby on TV here.

This year I can watch nearly all NZ provincial rugby games on Fox.

They are supposed to be in a recession. How can they do it and our people cry poor?

Notwithstanding in the Jarse household too much rugby is not enough. We would just prefer to see more of our own homegrown footy.

The questions I have as I watch Hawkes Bay Magpies take on the Waikato Mooloos are, and some of the NZ readers may be able to provide the answers,

a. Do all the other teams have americanised or nonamericanised nicknames, and what are they?

b. Do you get to see these games on Free to Air or just on Sky (isn't that what you call Foxtel over there)? If on free to air. are these games delayed or live?

I have been to Hawkes Bay before and enjoyed their wine and food. I would like to adopt them as my kiwi team, but why are the colours black and white, and why Magpies (although this is quite obvious given their colours)? Are there many magpie birds in Hawkes Bay?

I really dislike the great Australian Rules franchise of Collingwood, which plays in Black and white and is refered to as the magpies! I am struggling to find that I can support firstly a NZ team, but secondly one that plays in black and white jumpers and calls themselves the Magpies. Anyone from Hawkes Bay give me a reason to support your mob, because I am struggling at the moment.

Final questions, how many of your drinking tokens do you have to give up each month for a subscription to Sky channel rugby, and do you get Currie Cup and or European rugby (froggy top 14, Heineken Cup etc) in that package.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I like this Hawkes Bay mob having seen them just do a Gilbert Beale to draw their game. It took them 3 minutes into extra time and about 15 phases to go from deep inside their in-goal to the 1/2 way mark where after about the 4th advantage Sir finally awarded the penalty 50 metres out. The Hawkes Bay (can't make myself call them Magpies just yet) mob controlled the ball for about the last 4 minutes of continuous play.

Edge of the seat stuff bringing back memories of last week in Bloomers.

To answer one of my previous questions in part, the Northland team are called the Taniwha's (Tunnyfuzz). A most unamericanised name that one.

Have not heard the Canterbury nickname, but keen to watch SBW who is in the run on Canterbury team.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
1/2 time. SBW penalised once for not coming thru the gate. One tackle quite high but not penalised. Three attacking runs with offloads resulted in three meat pies for Canterbury. One other run to tackle to set up maul. Seems to be going OK.

To steal the commentator words " When SBW has the ball, just run up in support and you will get an offload"

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
He's a freak of an athlete and barring injury you'd have to have him in the AB squad...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
SBW Looked impressive at the NZ provincial level, if a little lost at times with some of the more technical aspects. With a ball in hand he was awesome. Be interesting to see if he can step up to the next level.

Randwick playing Manly in TNSS on ABC so leaving Fox and 2nd half of Canty vs Northland Tunnyfuzz.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
I lived over there once for a while - in Hawkes Bay for some of it. They've been known as the Magpies forever, and that's the B & W hoops of course. Before Super 10, 12 & 14 Hawkes Bay (capital Napier) were generally in the top division. They had a very strong period in the late 60's where they were the premier side in NZ. They held the Ranfurly Shield for 3 years and produced a load of All Blacks. Their local rugby is based around clubs in Napier and Hastings, and a few rural ones as well. Their mascot is 'Hawkeye' the magpie.

Northland's 'Taniwha' is a mythical beast - something along the lines of our Bunyip. Some nicknames I can think of are Wellington Lions, Tasman Makos, Southland Stags, Manawatu Turbos, Bay of Plenty Steamers. I'm not sure all of them have nicknames?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Every time I hear BOP called the steamers, all I can picture is a steaming turd.:)

SBW was impressive, I only saw the last twenty, but from the highlights he seemed to slip the first tackle, fend the second and let the third tackle grab him as he set himself up for the offload. Watching the game I thought what the hell was Israel Folau thinking switching to AFL, after the little experiment is over and the AFL has used him up purely as a marketing tool, watching the way SBW has made the switch you would have to think Folau could have done the same thing.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
SBW's real test will come Super 14 time.

Unless of course they take a flier and send him on the EOYT.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Flicking between the ITM cup and the French top 14, give me the ITM cup any day of the week. It has been bloody great to watch.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think I have posed this question elsewhere but do you think the top Shute Shield teams, and Brisbane Comp, teams could compete with the ITM teams?

I reckon we have the cattle as Eastwood, Uni, Manly, Randwick, Easts, Southern Districts are choc full of S15 level players.
Probably the same for the the BrisVegas comp.

On a good day when all their players are available, Sydney Uni would have a better roster on paper than some of the poorer performing S15 franchises.

M

Muttonbird

a. Do all the other teams have americanised or nonamericanised nicknames, and what are they?

See Lance Free's list plus Counties-Manukau Steelers (New Zealand's steel is made in that area at Glenbrook) plus the Mooloo's or Mooloo Men as you have said.

b. Do you get to see these games on Free to Air or just on Sky (isn't that what you call Foxtel over there)? If on free to air. are these games delayed or live?

All games are live on Sky and there is a highlights package for a couple of hours on Sunday afternoons on free-to-air but no full replays free-to-air.

I have been to Hawkes Bay before and enjoyed their wine and food. I would like to adopt them as my kiwi team, but why are the colours black and white, and why Magpies (although this is quite obvious given their colours)? Are there many magpie birds in Hawkes Bay?

Australian magpies (Gymnorhina tibicen) were introduced in the 1860s to control pasture pests. Now widespread and common. Black-backed mostly in the Hawkes Bay. The magpie is condemned for its aggressiveness and is now, ironically, considered a pest.

Here's another interesting fact about Hawke's Bay: The region has a hill with the longest place name in New Zealand, and the longest in the world according to the 2009 Guinness Book of Records. Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu is an unremarkable hill in southern Hawke's Bay, not far from Waipukurau.

Anyone from Hawkes Bay give me a reason to support your mob, because I am struggling at the moment.

Other Unions nick all the best players...like Israel Dagg.

Final questions, how many of your drinking tokens do you have to give up each month for a subscription to Sky channel rugby?

The Rugby-head's package with four sports channels and the dedicated Rugby Channel costs around NZ$80.00/month so about one weeks beers for you. Rugby Channel has one Currie Cup game delayed each week, live and delayed Heineken Cup, various French 14 and Japan Top League etc.

Hope this helps.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Big round coming up for my MooLoo men vs the Southlanders!

My tips for round 8 (winners bolded) :
Waikato vs Southland, Manawatu vs Aucks, Naki vs Cantabs, Wellington vs HB, Tasman vs Harbour, Otago vs Taniwha, BoP vs Counties

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
From North to South, most teams and some past or present players:

Northland Taniwha - Maori mythical demon-like creature - likes swamps and dense scrub/bush. Peter Jones, Sid Going and his brothers, David Holwell, Ian Jones, Norm Maxwell, Rene Ranger are names from the Kauri Country.

North Harbour - No nickname, split off the Auckland Union because of too many good players in the area. Buck Shelford, Ian Jones, Glen Osbourne, Walter Little, Frank Bunce, Luke McAllister, Nick Evans, Tony Woodcock,

Auckland - They are known as Auckland, the Jaffa's (Just another f-wit from Auckland), Orcs, A's... nothing really sticks. Used to have a mascot elephant named "ARU" - geddit? Players like Steve McDowell, Fitzpatrick, Dowd, R Brooke, A (spit) Haden, G Whetton, A Whetton, Zinzan Valentine Brooke, David Kirk, Grant Fox, Joe Stanley, John Kirwan, Terry Wright, Afoa, Mealamu, Kaino, Toeava, Rokocoko..... In the 80's, 90's hugely strong. Not so much of late. Supporters many but mostly outside of Auckland because no-one from Auckland actually lives there.

Counties-Manukau - Steelers - Jonah Tali Lomu. Nuff said.

Waikato - Mooloo's - Dairy farming area, hence the mascot - a cow. Supporters take cowbells to the ground and all opposition fans love to hear the racket when they are shaken in support of a Waikato attack or when the oppo kicker is trying to kick a goal. Great people, Waikato fans. Richard Loe, Graham Purvis, Warren Gatland, Mark Cooksley, Keith Robinson, John Mitchell, Deon Muir, Brendon Leonard, Rhys Duggan, Ian Foster, Matthew Cooper, Richard Kahui, Sitivini Sivivatu, Mils Muliaina, Todd Miller, Roger Randle,

Bay Of Plenty - Steamers - Large retired population. Struggle to name any players aside from Mike Delany and Tanerau Latimer of note.

Hawkes Bay - Magpies. George Nepia to Zac Guildford, or better Israel Dagg, massive history.

King Country - Rams - Sir Colin Meads is from there. Nuff said.

Taranaki - They have a bull mascot, but it's not part of a nickname. Bull Allen, former Taranaki player and AB started that I think. Jason Eaton, Andrew Hore, struggle to name any more players there too!

Manawatu - Turbo's. Think it's a recent nickname from their marketing dept. Have a bunch of supporters called "Bucketheads" who wear a bucket with eyes cut in on their heads to the games. Carlos Spencer and IIRC Christian Cullen both from there, as is Aaron Cruden.

Wellington - Lions - have a lion in their logo, they've made it more prominent now. Tialata, Rodney So'oialo, Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith, Cory Jane...

Tasman - Mako's - Newish amalgamation of two former rivals - Marlborough and the other one. Nickname is all marketing. Sort of a salary haven for the Saders, Chris Jack now plays there, as does Ben Franks and a few other names that escape me.

Canterbury - Cantab's, Red-n-Blacks - Bit of a magnet for talent, they have the Deans family, Grizz Wylie, Wayne Smith, Graham Henry (!), Steve Hansen, Dan Carter, Richard Hugh McCaw, etc, etc, etc...

Otago - No Nickname, used to have fanatical "Scarfie" supporters. Not so much nowadays. Strong in the shamateur days because they have a University with a good culture. Marc Ellis, Jamie Joseph, Tony Brown... Others.

Southland - Stags - Resurgent team, currently have the Ranfurley Shield, Simon Culhane is a past name, these days they are synonymous with Jimmy Cowan, the bogun pisshead halfback for the AB's.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
I think I have posed this question elsewhere but do you think the top Shute Shield teams, and Brisbane Comp, teams could compete with the ITM teams?

I reckon we have the cattle as Eastwood, Uni, Manly, Randwick, Easts, Southern Districts are choc full of S15 level players.
Probably the same for the the BrisVegas comp.

On a good day when all their players are available, Sydney Uni would have a better roster on paper than some of the poorer performing S15 franchises.
No way of knowing mate, and long may that continue. NZ's done enough to help out Aussie rugby, even paid for your canary yellow rags once upon a time.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
From North to South, most teams and some past or present players:

Northland Taniwha - Maori mythical demon-like creature - likes swamps and dense scrub/bush. Peter Jones, Sid Going and his brothers, David Holwell, Ian Jones, Norm Maxwell, Rene Ranger are names from the Kauri Country.

North Harbour - No nickname, split off the Auckland Union because of too many good players in the area. Buck Shelford, Ian Jones, Glen Osbourne, Walter Little, Frank Bunce, Luke McAllister, Nick Evans, Tony Woodcock,

Auckland - They are known as Auckland, the Jaffa's (Just another f-wit from Auckland), Orcs, A's... nothing really sticks. Used to have a mascot elephant named "ARU" - geddit? Players like Steve McDowell, Fitzpatrick, Dowd, R Brooke, A (spit) Haden, G Whetton, A Whetton, Zinzan Valentine Brooke, David Kirk, Grant Fox, Joe Stanley, John Kirwan, Terry Wright, Afoa, Mealamu, Kaino, Toeava, Rokocoko..... In the 80's, 90's hugely strong. Not so much of late. Supporters many but mostly outside of Auckland because no-one from Auckland actually lives there.

Counties-Manukau - Steelers - Jonah Tali Lomu. Nuff said.

Waikato - Mooloo's - Dairy farming area, hence the mascot - a cow. Supporters take cowbells to the ground and all opposition fans love to hear the racket when they are shaken in support of a Waikato attack or when the oppo kicker is trying to kick a goal. Great people, Waikato fans. Richard Loe, Graham Purvis, Warren Gatland, Mark Cooksley, Keith Robinson, John Mitchell, Deon Muir, Brendon Leonard, Rhys Duggan, Ian Foster, Matthew Cooper, Richard Kahui, Sitivini Sivivatu, Mils Muliaina, Todd Miller, Roger Randle,

Bay Of Plenty - Steamers - Large retired population. Struggle to name any players aside from Mike Delany and Tanerau Latimer of note.

Hawkes Bay - Magpies. George Nepia to Zac Guildford, or better Israel Dagg, massive history.

King Country - Rams - Sir Colin Meads is from there. Nuff said.

Taranaki - They have a bull mascot, but it's not part of a nickname. Bull Allen, former Taranaki player and AB started that I think. Jason Eaton, Andrew Hore, struggle to name any more players there too!

Manawatu - Turbo's. Think it's a recent nickname from their marketing dept. Have a bunch of supporters called "Bucketheads" who wear a bucket with eyes cut in on their heads to the games. Carlos Spencer and IIRC Christian Cullen both from there, as is Aaron Cruden.

Wellington - Lions - have a lion in their logo, they've made it more prominent now. Tialata, Rodney So'oialo, Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith, Cory Jane...

Tasman - Mako's - Newish amalgamation of two former rivals - Marlborough and the other one. Nickname is all marketing. Sort of a salary haven for the Saders, Chris Jack now plays there, as does Ben Franks and a few other names that escape me.

Canterbury - Cantab's, Red-n-Blacks - Bit of a magnet for talent, they have the Deans family, Grizz Wylie, Wayne Smith, Graham Henry (!), Steve Hansen, Dan Carter, Richard Hugh McCaw, etc, etc, etc...

Otago - No Nickname, used to have fanatical "Scarfie" supporters. Not so much nowadays. Strong in the shamateur days because they have a University with a good culture. Marc Ellis, Jamie Joseph, Tony Brown... Others.

Southland - Stags - Resurgent team, currently have the Ranfurley Shield, Simon Culhane is a past name, these days they are synonymous with Jimmy Cowan, the bogun pisshead halfback for the AB's.

Skitterend! Skorsie, loving it.:lmao::yay Just know for sure the good guys are the MooLoo men from Waikato!

Where are the sheep shaggers allocating? (I do have a idea but not sure anymore?)

The NZ province map
NPCprovinces.jpg

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Sheep shaggers - Canterbury had a bit of shit thrown at them like that, but it's a national pastime, bit like Aussies and stealing PB. ;)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sheep shaggers - Canterbury had a bit of shit thrown at them like that, but it's a national pastime, bit like Aussies and stealing PB. ;)
:thumb and Yarpie Thugs! 8)

Been a bit in exciled now and not lurking that much. Whats the feel around the 7 team cut in the ITM? Look like the CC is also going that route and myself think its a really big joke the way the ITM pans out this year. The most difficult comp to tip in the universe.

At the moment Otago, Harbour and Magpies in danger.

Status
Not open for further replies.