• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Super 15 Teams 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
I know its a bit early but the Highlanders could be a powerhouse this year. Top players: Andrew Hore, Tony Woodcock, Aaron Smith, Hosea Gear, Adam Thomson Brad Thorn and now Ma'a Nonu. http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/7822741/Ma-a-Nonu-signs-with-Highlanders
Wonder what's luring some of these guys.

Moana Pool Hydro Slides?

an-exterior-view-of-the-hydro-slide-and-main-building-at-moana-pool.ashx

Some recruitment drive indeed, they are all on the wrong side of 30 but all class nonetheless. Interesting year ahead for the Highlanders. A shame for Shaun Treeby perhaps, he deserves a starting 12 spot in a super rugby side.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
It's got to be Jamie Joseph. Watching him and Dave Rennie vie for higher honours in years to come will be interesting.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Highlanders definitely looking like a powerhouse unit for 2013.
Big question for me is why Kirwan is not retaining players. After welcoming Kirwan as the Blue's savior, are we going to see another season of mediocrity?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think when there is a change at the top in the coaching ranks you will also have player fall out. Kirwan will be wanting to change the culture at the Blues and some of the older heads in the squad may not be up for the challenge or may feel that they would get in the way of change. Look at the Canes this year. They cleaned out a lot of old heads, with AB caps, and invested in youth. As a result they had a really good year and will look at pushing further in 2013.
As for the Highlanders, Jamie Joseph seems to be doing a great job. He has backed his squad and brought in some experienced campaigners who probably enjoy the fresh challenge and seem to push the team further. If they can maintain the rage for the entire season in 2013 it would be great as they seem to stutter towards the back end of the year. I for one really enjoy watching them play and would have them as my favourite Kiwi team.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
I think also that the All Blacks have had 8 years of Graham Henry. Now that he is with the Blues some may want a change. That is also a reason that has been given some air time here.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
I am hoping to see Nonu putting speedsters like Ben Smith. I am also hoping Ben will be able to drag Nonu along to our rugby practises next season.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What is the relationship between Highlanders Franchise and Otago RFU?

IIRC Otago were in deep financial doodoo.

Will the "names" moving south to play for Highlanders play ITM next year for Otago/Southland when/if they are not required for duties with The Darkness?

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Weren't we all (myself included) saying similar things about the Blues around this time last year? With the signing's of Nonu and Weepu etc. to add to the team that had just been a semi finalist?

Thorn, Nonu and Woodcock are 3 very good signings though. Perhaps the added depth will reverse the trend of the last two years of starting off on fire, but then fading in the 2nd half of the season.

Has Ben Franks already signed for them too or is that still speculation? Or is he going to the Hurricanes?

Edit - quick Google search tells me Franks is going to the Hurricanes.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I still don't see any depth there tbh. No high quality 7 and backup. In fact not much backrow depth at all.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
What is the relationship between Highlanders Franchise and Otago RFU?

IIRC Otago were in deep financial doodoo.

Will the "names" moving south to play for Highlanders play ITM next year for Otago/Southland when/if they are not required for duties with The Darkness?

Seperate entities.

Playing for the Highlanders does not necessarily mean they will play for Otago. Nasi Manu plays #8 for the Clan and Canterbury.
Would be nice though. But I am pretty sure an AB would only play ITM if they were spending a lot of time on the bench or coming back from injury.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Emery and Coltman Sign With Highlanders for three years
The Highlanders have signed two ‘young guns’ from the domestic rugby competition. Manawatu centre Jason Emery, and Otago front-rower Liam Coltman, have both signed three-year contracts with the southern franchise.

http://www.superrugby.co.nz/s14news/20771/Emery-and-Coltman-Sign-With-Highlanders-for-three-years

Two good signings, Liam Coltman is a solid hooker. 23 years old, good backup for the oldies Hore and Rutledge, will probably push cabbage off the bench.

Jason Emery 'apparently' has a bright future. 19 years old, he's a small lad but subsequently agile and 'nippy'. I watched a bit off him in the u20's this year and he undoubtedly has talent but suffers from some some poor decision making at times. Plenty of time to work on that though. Hard to see whether he'll get a run ahead of Nonu, Ellison, Treeby or Lynn.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I still don't see any depth there tbh. No high quality 7 and backup. In fact not much backrow depth at all.

I think aside from the back-row they have a great deal of depth, and even there I thought all the various 7s they used last year were pretty reasonable. And remember hoeata can play 6.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Some recruitment drive indeed, they are all on the wrong side of 30 but all class nonetheless. Interesting year ahead for the Highlanders. A shame for Shaun Treeby perhaps, he deserves a starting 12 spot in a super rugby side.

Nonu can play 13, Eliston (possible misspelling) can play 15, and Smith can play anywhere.

There will be plenty of options to give Treeby a run, sadly for him I doubt it'll be in the first choice starting 15 but hey, us Aussies are always on the lookout for Kiwis who are surplus to requirement.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And now it been confirmed Thorn back for Highlanders, they starting to look pretty reasonable, I like the boy Harding as a 7, I think it was hiom that was injured last year and missed most of season, and with Adam Thomson, I think they maybe alright. Young Emery has been playing bloody well for Manawatu in ITM cup, and will be ok in a year or two I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.