• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Obituaries

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I remember being stunned to learn he was kiwi-born, I'd always assumed he was American & Black. Had he been I think a lot more people would be familiar with his work.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Dean Jones only 59. Sad stuff, in India for IPL commentary and suffered a heart attack after his morning run. Brett Lee tried to revive him.

3000+ test runs and over 6000 ODI runs. His 210 in India in the second tied test was one of the great feats of endurance on the cricket field and went close to costing him his life then.

A great supporter of cricket in the south east after his retirement and a character in the commentary box. Will miss him on Australia’s tours of Asia.

Should always be remembered for that fabulous double-ton v India but over here he'll mostly be remembered for promising the people of Melbourne an MCG hundred v NZ then being made to look rather inept by one RJHadlee & being caught on the WACA (?) boundary by Dipak Patel in an ODI. I think that's a reflection on how badly we wanted him out every time he faced up against us, such a destructive batsman once he got going. A bit cocky for the liking of most kiwis but I think deep down we admired the bloke albeit a little grudgingly.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Eddie van Halen, 65, of throat cancer:
oh ffs. Still, I imagine he had a hell of a life. Weirdest story I read about him is he didnt actually buy any music to listen to in over 30 years. He just didnt listen to other peoples music. So the story goes the last album he bought was Peter Gabriels "So" back in the 80's. Although who needs to buy recordings of other peoples music when you can just pick up a guitar and be Eddie Van Halen.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Gutted about EVH, just like I was about Neil Peart at the beginning of the year. Talk about two blokes who loom large over my love of rock music since I was a teenager.

It's hard to overstate what a giant he was of his chosen instrument. He changed the way it was played and you can't say that about too many people.

RIP Eddie

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
oh ffs. Still, I imagine he had a hell of a life. Weirdest story I read about him is he didnt actually buy any music to listen to in over 30 years. He just didnt listen to other peoples music. So the story goes the last album he bought was Peter Gabriels "So" back in the 80's. Although who needs to buy recordings of other peoples music when you can just pick up a guitar and be Eddie Van Halen.

The best EVH story, however.........

The next day, according to Bennett, after being unable to get in contact with Durst for 24 hours to retrieve his gear, Van Halen decided to take matters into his own hands, driving to Durst’s house in an assault vehicle he had bought at a military auction.

“He got out wearing no shirt, his hair in a Samurai bun on top of his head, his jeans held up with a strand of rope and combat boots held together by duct tape. And he had a gun in his hand,” Bennett writes.

“That asshole answered the door,” Bennett quotes Van Halen in the book. “I put my gun to that stupid f**king red hat of his, and I said, ‘Where’s my shit, motherfucker?’ That f**king guy just turned to one of his employees and starts yelling at him to grab my shit.

“Eddie Van Halen stood on the front lawn of a residential home in Beverly Hills in broad daylight, smoking a cigarette while holding a gun on Fred Durst as he went back and forth from the house to the assault vehicle, lugging amps and guitars.”

https://www.nme.com/en_au/news/musi...SXVVucCf38eDUDqhRij_ZBA04S7Y31JFzjhZ4Wc0sNVAQ

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Dear Greg, I'm sorry I once called you a "gossiping little bitch" on twitter, forcing you to block me from reading your gossipy tweets.

Jokes aside, he was always a good rugby voice and I enjoyed his rumour and gossip column. Vale.