1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Obituaries

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Sully, Aug 14, 2016.

1. cyclopath Phil Waugh (73)

My late grandfather reckons he was one of the best he saw. He stopped watching Aus v NZ tests for 30-odd years after Ken's career ending injury, he was that incensed. I know Kiwis have a different view of it, but there you go. Sadly ironic that he and Pinetree pass in the same year.
    boyo, Inside Shoulder and RugbyReg like this.
  2. Lost Chris McKivat (8)

That Meads continued to be so warmly regarded by World Rugby was a standing condemnation of the sport . Better that his career should have been curtailed at that time. The act of a thug and a bully,traits shared by many of his current day successors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    boyo likes this.
  3. cyclopath Phil Waugh (73)

Well, I don't know. Plenty of players do things in the heat of the moment they may well regret. Meads certainly was a huge figure in the game for many of the right reasons. I think Catchpole moved on from it. My grandfather was generally a conciliatory guy, so his stance on it always struck me, which was the main reason I mentioned it.
  4. Samson Herbert Moran (7)

I spent my teens watching Catchy. To my mind he was the finest player I have seen. I do not know anyone who watched him play regularly that does not have recollections of something approaching the miraculous. The AB's feared him, not many have that said about them. Thanks for the memories.
    cyclopath likes this.
  5. waiopehu oldboy John Eales (66)

6. The Honey Badger Peter Fenwicke (45)

7. waiopehu oldboy John Eales (66)

We're currently up to 1170 (Dillon Hunt): #1-19 are from an 1884 tour of NSW i.e. eight years before NZRU was even founded & the next lot are from another tour in the 1890's, in all ~50 predate the first AB Test in 1903. Also I think over the years the AB probably toured UK & SA more often than Wobs & with larger tour parties. I guess it's kinda cricket in reverse where heaps more baggy greens have been awarded than black caps.
    The Honey Badger likes this.
  8. The Honey Badger Peter Fenwicke (45)

So what your saying is the first 50 should actually be Wallaby caps, as NZ was still part of NSW back then.

That should improve the win loss ratio

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk
  9. waiopehu oldboy John Eales (66)

^^^^^^^nice try but no extra Wobs wins I'm afraid:

"16 November 1840. New Zealand officially became a separate colony of the United Kingdom, severing its link to New South Wales. North, South and Stewart islands were to be known respectively as the provinces of New Ulster, New Munster and New Leinster."

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/letters-p...ealand-a-colony-separate-from-new-south-wales

Like probably most kiwis I'd have said 6/02/1840 when the Treaty of Waitangi was signed but I guess it took a while for London to find out it had been signed & isdue the appropriate declaration.
  10. RugbyReg Stirling Mortlock (74)

11. waiopehu oldboy John Eales (66)

12. Dismal Pillock John Thornett (49)

OH SHIT. hope my latest fake news entry doesnt come across as in poor taste.

next entry was goign to be Steve-o joinign the cast of "Jackass" to replace the original Steve-o. not happening now. Poor bugger.
  13. waiopehu oldboy John Eales (66)

^^^^^^ I reckon SH would've been up for some Jackass-style japes, always struck me as a non-conformist Bogan mind trapped inside that damaged body.
    mst and Dismal Pillock like this.
  14. Dismal Pillock John Thornett (49)

[IMG]
    "Black jeans, black Kingswood and black holes, bitches."
  15. waiopehu oldboy John Eales (66)

16. boyo Paul McLean (56)

Steve Bochco

Creator of "Hill Street Blues", etc.
  17. waiopehu oldboy John Eales (66)

Fergie McCormick, 78, of throat cancer.

All Black #653, scapegoated for the First Test loss to the 1971 Lions but remained one of the top two or three fullbacks in the country until forced to retire. One of my favourite players as a kid, mostly because like me he was usually the second-smallest in the team but just got stuck in & if you wanted to beat him you were gunna have to fuckin work for it.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/a...erbury-fullback-fergie-mccormick-dies-aged-78
  18. waiopehu oldboy John Eales (66)

19. Tex Chilla Wilson (44)

Not an obit, per se, but a wonderful tribute from one late great satirist to a comic genius.

John Clarke on Spike Milligan. Yesterday was the 100th anniversary of Spike's birth.

https://meanjin.com.au/memoir/commonplace-4/
  20. waiopehu oldboy John Eales (66)