• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Obituaries

Tex

John Thornett (49)
It's easy to focus on the larrikinism but let's not forget his reforms in the health, environment, social and economic spheres.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
James Small, the man who kept Jonah quiet in the '95 RWC Final.

https://m.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/anc-pay-tribute-to-patriot-james-small-20190710

IMG_0871.JPG

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I like to think I am the son of Sir Brian Lochore. He was a year behind my mother in high school in the Wairarapa but she knew him quite well..... if you get what I mean by quite well.....

Plus it beats the deadbeat skirtchaser that's actually listed on my birth certificate.

Makes sense. I've talked myself into it. The years match up. Times and dates, people. Explains my preternatural rugby ability, corrosively-handsome good looks and generally understated modesty.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ the funeral will be a who-was of Cantab footy over the past 40 years & I suspect there may even be a few fly-ins from places North.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rugby Australia do a pretty damn good job of their Wallaby Obits. Here's a couple of recent ones:

The Australian Rugby community is in mourning after the passing of one-Test Wallaby, Thomas Baxter who passed away on August 4, aged 84.

A product of the Wallaby nursery, Brisbane Grammar School, Baxter spent three years as a member of their First XV between 1951 to 1953, captaining the side in his final year. The towering centre was renowned for his pace off the mark, penetrating runs and skilful handling.

After graduation from Brisbane Grammar, Baxter’s next success came when he went on to command the University of Queensland at flyhalf, winning three consecutive premierships in the process; 1955, 1956 and 1557, playing alongside the likes of John O’Neill and ‘Chilla’ Wilson throughout all three years.

Baxter was first selected at flyhalf for Queensland against South Africa on 29 May 1956 before earning selection for the Wallabies during their 1958 Tour of New Zealand where he played in the third and final Bledisloe Cup Test in Auckland on 20 September 1958.

Returning from the Wallabies tour, he was awarded a prestigious Rhodes Scholarship to Oxford University. He departed Australian shores to undertake his studies at the university, where he gained two Oxford Blues for Rugby. While Baxter would never feature in another Test match for Australia, he returned home to write an article on ‘back-row play’, which remains in the Brisbane Grammar School library.

In 2012, Baxter received an Order of Australia Medal in the General Division for his services to engineering through executive roles and to the community.

He will forever be Wallaby number 451.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Australian Rugby community is mourning the loss of 10-Test Wallabies back and New South Wales Rugby Union Honorary Life Member, Terry MacBride who passed away last Friday.

MacBride was a youthful three-quarter who shot to prominence as Test Rugby resumed after World War II. A compact but fast and physically strong ball runner, his preferred position was inside centre although eight of his 10 Test caps came on the wing.

Born in Sydney, he attended Scots College and later the University of Sydney where he played for the 1st XV Rugby and Cricket sides and was a Combined GPS representative in Rugby.

Whilst studying medicine, his performances in the 1946 season with University earned him selection for the NSW tour of Queensland. Initially he declined the tour but was urged to play in the NSW selection trial in order to gain representative experience. It was there that the then-19-year-old impressed so much that he was selected for the impending Wallabies tour of New Zealand.

With four tries in the first five tour matches, MacBride was labelled the early find of the tour and was named to debut in the opening Test at Dunedin, where he became Australia’s 331st Test player.

Ironically, the much-feted trip to New Zealand cost the young player a pass mark in first-year medicine so he walked away from the course and the University Rugby club to join Eastern Suburbs.

After playing all three Tests in New Zealand, two caps at home against the All Blacks were followed by selection on the third Wallabies tour to the UK.

On that tour he played on the wing in all five Tests – against Scotland, Ireland, Wales, England and France – but didn’t add to his one Test try, scored against New Zealand in Auckland.

Upon returning home, MacBride looked set to retire after suffering a leg injury, but he recovered to play one final season in Sydney with Easts before formally ending his three-year international career.