• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ODI World Cup 2019

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
We had the worst international win record in ODIs last year of any nation but the current series against India is now 2-2 as we chased down 359 last night—our highest ever successful chase. Could we be peaking just at the right time for the WC?

Expect the squad to be fairly similar to the one currently in India and add Starc and Hazlewood as well as Warner—Smith is touch and go with his elbow injury. Playing classy stroke players as opposed to t20 baseballers like Lynn seems to be making a world of difference with Khawaja and Handscomb playing crucial knocks this series.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The curve is certainly upwards. I thought we'd be no chance at the beginning of this summer, but I'm coming round to the idea that this group (with some minor adjustments) might just go deep in the tournament. Something has to be done about Finch though. He's horribly out of form and has a massive technical weakness to the ball swinging in. He can't be selected, let alone be captain, in his current situation.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So what might our 15 man squad look like?

Finch (c)
Khawaja
Handscomb
Smith
S Marsh
Maxwell
Carey
Warner
Stoinis
Cummins
Zampa
Lyon
Starc
Hazlewood
Richardson

That leaves out Turner who I think just about has to be included after that innings he played a couple of days ago. One of the best ODI innings ever. Australia has to give themselves some T20 ability in the middle order to be able to chase down big totals. 180 off 20 overs with 8 wickets in hand is far more doable now than it ever has been. You just have to have the right players to do it.

Handscomb has to have a crack keeping in the 5th ODI. I don't think Carey is playing well enough and I'm not convinced he's that much better a keeper that we have to pick him in our best XI.

Finch is clearly a problem but who else can lead the side? It would really have to be Smith returning straight into the side as captain. I don't know we can do that.

Starc could easily not recover and miss through injury. If he's fit he'll make the squad though.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Smith has a further 1 year captaincy ban in all formats so can’t be captain if Finch is dropped. That leaves Maxwell as the next best captaincy alternative, I wouldn’t mind him as captain but not sure if Langer and the selectors would pick him. If Handscomb keeps then we can include Turner and drop Carey.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Huge series win in India. Khawaja with another 100 making him a must pick and Zampa doing the damage again with 3 wickets in 14 balls.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
That was a fantastic come from behind win and really sets up some momentum for the World Cup. Now to do the same against Pakistan.

I still think England are favourites in their back yard though.
Definitely favourites as the dominant team since the last WC. Although the WI just had a tied series with them and they’ve never won a WC. Now that teams are starting to attack right from ball one in ODIs a lot of games have an element of unpredictability and the knockout games could include a few upsets. I’d say our WC record and underdog status could give us a mental edge should we come up against more favoured sides. I’m also tipping Afghanistan to knock out a favourite.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Our ODI form continues beating Pakistan by 8 wickets chasing 280. Importantly, Finch tonned up while Marsh made 91no. So the guys that were a little off in the Indian series are now making runs.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
And again Pakistan make a similar score of 284 and we chase it down easily. Finch makes another century and Khawaja 88 for a 209 run opening stand. Warner also made 85 from 53 in the IPL last night. We are peaking at the right time.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Well Finchy has certainly turned things around in the last couple of weeks. Just about the perfect time to be doing it too. With all his form issues in recent times one thing you can say is that he's captained the team well.

He'd have his ticket already stamped now you would think.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think he was the only realistic choice for captain so was going to be in our XI regardless.

This is a very welcome return to form.

Indeed it is, because it saves the selectors a massive headache. You can't have your captain heading into a tournament as woefully out of form as he was. Had he not recovered, I would have had Maxi in there as I said upthread.

LetsbeReasonable

Allen Oxlade (6)
Warner
Finch (c)
Khawaja
Smith
Marsh
Maxwell (vc)
Handscomb (wk)
Cummins
J Richardson
Starc
Zampa

Lyon
Stoinis
Wade/Carey
Hazlewood

Could put wade in as wk but would have to drop a batsman. Based on form I don’t know if I’d keep Carey in the starting side.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
5-0 shellacking of Pakistan completed last night. Terrific batting performance set up by Khawaja and Finch at the top and finished off by Maxwell who made 70 odd off 30. Usman’s 98 makes him the highest scoring player in ODIs this year thus far. Meanwhile Warner has made 70, 80, and 100 in his first three IPL matches. So I’d definitely be going with a top 3 of Warner, Finch, Khawaja. Agree with LetsbeReasonable’s choices above except I’d probably only play one of Smith and Marsh and have Stoinis in the side as another all rounder/power hitter.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
to be frank the 'stani bowling was utter gash, however I'll take the wins & great to see so many blokes hitting runs.

Maxwell in form is the most exciting. Gee I hope he gets another punt @ test cricket & can put together some solid performances if given the chance.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The momentum shift has been pretty marked and the selectors have some difficult decisions to make. This is a good thing. With Warner towelling up IPL attacks you'd be a fool not to consider him, but the blokes in the current top six are all playing well too. I still think England are favourites, but this Aussie sides looks to have turned the corner.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The momentum shift has been pretty marked and the selectors have some difficult decisions to make. This is a good thing. With Warner towelling up IPL attacks you'd be a fool not to consider him, but the blokes in the current top six are all playing well too. I still think England are favourites, but this Aussie sides looks to have turned the corner.

it's a tough call isn't it? I mean the team is playing as a team now and it seems they are enjoying each others' company as much as any. Many have tweeted how much they've enjoyed the experience and what a great bunch of guys they are (winning helps).

Do you throw Warner into that type of environment? I mean his run scoring probably demands it, but culturally? Good luck JL.