• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ODI World Cup 2019

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Very tough Reg. I know JL from a past professional life outside cricket and know what a stickler for culture he is. This will be weighing on his mind I'm sure. The team have been through the valley of death together and emerged out the other side a stronger unit, which as a fan has been great to see. Warner adds plenty but like you I wonder if he's the right fit for the team now.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
They will 100% pick him. He's too good not to.

As for his impact on the dressing room, it's hard to tell. From doing a bit of reading, it didn't seem like Warner was disliked by the playing group at all. His disruptive influence was more on the field than off it.

And when he got pinged it wasn't like there was a conga-line of past players lining up to put the boot into him, not even as an un-named source.

Will be interesting to watch nonetheless.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Oh I think they'll pick him, the temptation is too great to add his undoubted limited overs prowess to a team that's already humming.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
World Cup Squad:

Australian Men’s World Cup Squad:
Aaron Finch (c) (Victoria)
Usman Khawaja (Queensland)
David Warner (New South Wales)
Steve Smith (New South Wales)
Shaun Marsh (Western Australia)
Glenn Maxwell (Victoria)
Marcus Stoinis (Western Australia)
Alex Carey (vc) (South Australia)
Pat Cummins (vc) (New South Wales)
Mitchell Starc (New South Wales)
Jhye Richardson (Western Australia)
Nathan Coulter-Nile (Western Australia)
Jason Behrendorff (Western Australia)
Nathan Lyon (New South Wales)
Adam Zampa (South Australia)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
also:

“The National Selection Panel has announced its fourteen-player squad for the Australia A Tour of England starting on June 20,” Hohns said.
“The tour will see Australia A play five one day matches against County teams while the ICC World Cup is underway. This will provide us with the appropriate coverage to bring players into the Australian World Cup squad if required.
“Australia A will open its tour of England with a one-day match against Northamptonshire at The County Ground, Northamptonshire.”
Australia A Men’s ODI Squad:
Travis Head (c) (South Australia)
Matthew Wade (Tasmania)
Will Pucovski (Victoria)
Peter Handscomb (Victoria)
Ashton Turner (Western Australia)
Mitch Marsh (vc) (Western Australia)
D’Arcy Short (Western Australia)
Kurtis Patterson (New South Wales)
Ashton Agar (Western Australia)
Michael Neser (Queensland)
James Pattinson (Victoria)
Josh Hazlewood (vc) (New South Wales)
Kane Richardson (South Australia)
Sean Abbott (New South Wales)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Bit disappointed Handscomb was dropped and would have rathered he took the gloves in place of Carey. Happy with the rest of it. Like the tour squad initiative as well.

LetsbeReasonable

Allen Oxlade (6)
I would have had handscomb in instead of one of coulter-Nile or behrendorff. What happens if Carey gets injured??
I also would have preferred Carey wasn’t in the side but it was always going to happen.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would have had handscomb in instead of one of coulter-Nile or behrendorff. What happens if Carey gets injured??
I also would have preferred Carey wasn’t in the side but it was always going to happen.

If Carey gets injured he gets replaced.

I would have also given Handscomb a run keeping in the India and Pakistan series to see whether that was an option but once it didn't happen it was off the table. There was no way Australia could select Handscomb as the keeper for the CWC without trialling it first.

LetsbeReasonable

Allen Oxlade (6)
If Carey gets injured he gets replaced.

I would have also given Handscomb a run keeping in the India and Pakistan series to see whether that was an option but once it didn't happen it was off the table. There was no way Australia could select Handscomb as the keeper for the CWC without trialling it first.

I knew it was off the table too. I wish it happened though.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Ok, so we've got Afghanistan on Saturday (10:30pm EST). This should be a victory for us but they're hardly a pushover side (they beat Pakistan in the warmups, although Pakistan have been in pretty torrid form lately). The danger will be losing quick wickets to someone like Rashid Khan who can really open up a side. I'd be tempted to chase so we know the equation and can see off the danger men.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Great catch by Stokes last night. Some are calling it the greatest ever but they've obviously misread the memo which clearly states that while the English can occasionally be the best in the world, they can never be judged greatest ever.

Still a ripper catch.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Holy hell. This pitch NZ are playing on is so green it's legitimately hard to tell where it ends, and the field begins.

EDIT: Just look at the glorious thing!

D7-CAInUYAEMuHa.jpg:large

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ encouraging that Henry & Ferguson got some wickets & were economical, plus Munro got some much-needed runs.

Good start but hard to argue with BMac's assessment that we'll finish somewhere between fourth & seventh with net run rate & probably the weather by way of Duckworth Lewis determining which of NZ, SA, WI or Pakistan join Ringinland, Straya & India in the SF.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket...llums-grim-but-real-prediction-for-black-caps

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Coupla spectators of Straya v Afghanistan got dressed up for the occasion:

IMG_0856.JPG

Imagine what'll happen when they play Ringinland..........

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That's not a bad sledge from those fans. I heard boos when Warner got his fifty and I don't think it will bother him too much. Let the England crowds boo as much as they like. I'll laugh my head off if we play them in the knockout stage and beat them.

Kiwis looked very good in their game. A real dark horse in this tournament for mine.