• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ODI World Cup 2019

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
NCN brings up his 50 and promptly plonks one over the fence. Gone past 230 now with 7 overs remaining.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
All out for 288. A magnificent fightback from Smith and Coulter-Nile. Of course, the West Indies could come out and knock this total off with 10 overs to spare (they certainly have the firepower to) but all the momentum is with us.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oh dear....

IMG_0858.JPG

WI fans aren't the only ones blowing up about it, either:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12238128

I can understand umps missing the occasional marginal no-ball but that's a shocker.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Great effort by the Aussies. Sets them up nicely for the rest of the tournament. Get that self belief going boys and bring the cup home

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
New Zealand Herald, eh.

The headline is more of a shocker than the no call.

While you were sleeping: West Indies were cheated in Australian controversy

Obviously the opportunity to get "cheated" & "Australian" in the same headline was too good for the sub-ed to pass up :)

I agree the headline is a bit OTT but try looking at it from the POV that it's say Smith instead of Gayle.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Obviously the opportunity to get "cheated" & "Australian" in the same headline was too good for the sub-ed to pass up :)

I agree the headline is a bit OTT but try looking at it from the POV that it's say Smith instead of Gayle.

It's a bit chippy. Jibes aside, it's like complaining about chasers at a kickoff being ahead of the kicker when several phases later he gets a penalty shot and goals it.

Sure, it was a no ball - two minutes ago. And the game moved on. It's not as if the guy was playing a free hit.

Gayle was monstered by Starc. In the one over -
… almost caught (twice)​
… reprieved for a caught-behind after a snick off the stump, FFS … rather than the bat,​
… given LB then reprieved.​
Then he was finally trapped, bat nowhere near it.

But, according to the headline, the (Kiwi) umpire cheated his team out of the game …

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Anyone who saw the first few balls Coulter-Nile faced would hardly believe he almost got the ton. Credit to him he stuck to his game plan & after a few streaky shots started monstering them!

I thought Smith and Carey were absolutely brilliant, Carey has a great future, he didn't seem fazed in the slightest with the pressure.

I'm so impressed with Jason Holder. Thrown an absolute hospital pass at such a young age he's really coming on as a genuine world class all rounder and skipper. I must admit it's great to see the Windies men with a bit of confidence and playing with such enthusiasm again. Some of the fielding despite all those big units was superb but let down with some quite ordinary moments.

It's a pretty exciting world cup so far loads of teams in some decent form & playing some great cricket.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I think the Sheldon Cottrell catch is better than the one by Ben Stokes.

Stokes misjudged his and then it required a phenomenal effort to take the catch. If he'd judged it well initially it wouldn't have been a difficult catch.

Cottrell on the other hand did absolutely everything right to complete this catch. It's phenomenal how easy he made it look.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Trouble against India, need over 350 for the win (would be a record run chase at the Oval if we get it). We failed to get early wickets and they capitalised. Carey dropping Pandya first ball later in the innings didn't help the cause as it might have helped swing some momentum in our favour.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah that's a bit of spanking and a wake up call for our guys. You need to get into that Indian batting order early or they make you pay. I think you need to throw the kitchen sink at them in the first few overs, before they get settled.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nice guy Kane has been at it again:

IMG_0861.JPG

That's Rashid Khan going off for a HIA (which he failed) after being hit on the grille by Lockie Ferguson (probably our quickest bowler).

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...ain-kane-williamson-praised-for-sportsmanship

Not to be outdone, Kohli (somewhat surprisingly to me) came to Steve Smith's defence when some Indian supporters started giving him grief while he was fielding in the deep:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/cricket/news/article.cfm?c_id=29&objectid=12239001