• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ODI World Cup 2019

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Kohli has matured a lot since he received the captaincy, although I think he was always a good guy just extremely competitive. I have a lot of respect for what he did for Smith yesterday.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
^ I've always thought he was a bit of a dick. Seems I may need to revise my opinion.

I thought that as well but I bumped into him getting out of lift once in a hotel (literally bumped into him) as he was trying to get in before anyone saw him. He apologised profusely and didn't seem to have a hint of arrogance about him. Changed my attitude a bit.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Kohli is a great pantomime villain but he's a terrific player and overall pretty good for the game I reckon.

I thought what he did yesterday was class.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Someone asked me the other day "why are they playing in a place where it always rains?" Obviously, SA did themselves no favours losing 3 in a row but it's not great having even the slimmest of chances killed by the weather.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
SA haven't fired a shot in this tournament, so the rain won't really affect the outcome. Still sucks though. The English weather can be relied upon to kill games of cricket.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah that's a bit of spanking and a wake up call for our guys. You need to get into that Indian batting order early or they make you pay. I think you need to throw the kitchen sink at them in the first few overs, before they get settled.

Yeah some very ordinary bowling, though it was a road. Cummins again for me the standout. When Starc doesn't fire we need someone to stand up and be counted, unfortunately Stoinis and Zampa were awful.

We got pretty close, just needed one more batsmen to get a score.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Someone asked me the other day "why are they playing in a place where it always rains?" Obviously, SA did themselves no favours losing 3 in a row but it's not great having even the slimmest of chances killed by the weather.

That's two no-results from 15 matches.

EDIT: two days of heavy rain forecast for Nottingham, easing to showers for NZ v India on Thursday.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket...weather-could-assist-black-caps-in-nottingham

Cold & overcast would make things interesting, India don't seem to like those conditions much.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
FFS another washout. Fuck cricket in England sometimes. Schedule the tournament a month later or something. How many days in the domestic season do they lose I wonder?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Sri Lanka now have had 2 wash outs—one against Bangladesh and the other Pakistan. They’ve received 1 point for each washout even though they probably were expected to win both matches. Not much consolation.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
FFS another washout. Fuck cricket in England sometimes. Schedule the tournament a month later or something. How many days in the domestic season do they lose I wonder?

Previous CWC played entirely or mostly in Dear Olde England:

1975 (June) 15 matches, 0 no-results
1979 (June) 15 matches, 1 no-result
1983 (May/ June) 27 matches, 0 no-results
1999 (May/ June) 42 matches, 1 no-result

So this one is a real outlier.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
41 run victory for us overnight against Pakistan. Unfortunately, we only made 307 (bowled out with an over remaining), when we should have put the boot into them and made over 350.

I'm not convinced we really know how to play when we get off to a flier (we were 0-130). We inevitably seem to lose quick wickets and collapse in a heap. Seemed to me like we were trying to go too hard to early, we could easily have noodled it around up until the 40th over and still have maintained a run rate of over 6 per over. I liked the idea of throwing in a pinch hitter but I think Coulter-Nile would have been a better option than Maxwell. Maxwell got out in only the 33rd over trying to go berserk, leaving us with no one recognised hitter to finish the innings. Contrast this with India who sent out Pandya against us and held back the genuine finisher Dhoni.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah our batting performances are a strange one. We consistently seem to lose momentum in those middle overs and invariably lose wickets, leaving it up to the tail to have a slog at the end. India and England on the other hand have these guys who steer the ship in those middle to later overs and even though their methods are very different, they seem to be in control of the game.

I'm not sure if it was the wicket or the something else but we really should have put Pakistan to the sword last night, with the start we had.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
He sure is. Probably our best player at the minute. I didn't think his body would hold up, but he's proven me wrong. Super talent and works as hard as any cricketer you'd care to name.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
334 on the board for us against Sri Lanka. Big innings from Finch, 153, supported by Smith, 73, with Maxwell playing a cameo at the end 46 (25). You'd think that would be enough but still I reckon we left a few out there.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
334 on the board for us against Sri Lanka. Big innings from Finch, 153, supported by Smith, 73, with Maxwell playing a cameo at the end 46 (25). You'd think that would be enough but still I reckon we left a few out there.

Yep a bit worrying. I have no idea why they sent out Marsh over Carey. Uzzy looks cold at the moment let's hope he can turn it around as he's been sublime all year. I think in the absence of Stoinis we should be promoting Carey if we have runs on the board and we're in the mid overs just to give him some time in the middle. He can really take the game away from the oppo. If we're going to win he'll be needed to play a big innings along the way.

Good to see Starc stand up, Pat cannot carry the attack single handed. A good win in the end if a little ropey in stages, but still when we can say we left a few out there and score over 300 it's not too bad a situation to be in (unless you're playing India!).