• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Off Contract in 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Matt Hodgson re-signing with the 4s had me looking at who else's contract is due for renewal. So, below is a list (as best I have) of players whose contract is up this year:

Reds:

Ben Daley
Berrick Barnes
Digby Ione
Greg Holmes
Hugh McMeniman
James Horwill
Leroy Houston
Sean Hardman
Daniel Braid

Tahs:

Tatafu Nau
Sekope Kepu
Sam Norton-Knight
Phil Waugh
Matt Dunning
Luke Burgess
Kurtley Beale
Jeremy Tilse
Dean Mumm
Daniel Halangahu
Chris Thomson
Brett Sheehan
Ben Batger
Beau Robinson
David Dennis

Brums:

Afusipa Taumoepeau
Ben Alexander
Clyde Rathbone
Francis Fainifo
George Smith
Huia Edmonds
John Ulugia
Josh Holmes
Mark Chisolm
Mitchell Chapman
Nick Henderson
Patrick Phibbs
Peter Betham
Peter Kimlin
Shaun Mackay
Stephen Moore
Tryone Smith
James Stannard

Force:

Richard Stanford
Drew Mitchell
Gareth Hardy
James O'Connor
Josh Valentine
Junior Pelesasa
Matt Giteau
Nick Cummins
Pat O'Connor
Richard Brown
Tamaiti Horua

So the Reds have 9 and the Force only have 11 players to re-sign (if needed), the Tahs have 15 whilst the Brums have 18! There will be some interesting decisions having to be made about who to keep, who to ditch and who to poach.

For the Reds, the key will be to re-sign Horwill and Barnes ASAP, from there hopefully the likes of Holmes & MMM will follow. Digby was talking of going back west, so who knows. Braid has the option after one year. Both Houston and Daley have all to play for this year to prove they have a future, and it must surely be Hardman's last year?

For the Tahs there will be interest surrounding what happens with Waugh, Sheehan and Dunning (who won't have the benefit of proving himself deserving of a contract on the field this S14 season). I would've thought Beale, TPN, SNK, Kepu, Burgess, Mumm and Robinson (Beau) will all be re-signed with the last 4 deserving of upgrades? Dennis, Batger, Thompson and Tilse are, you would think, under pressure. As for Halangahu, well it depends on what happens on the field I reckon. And at other teams.

So the Brums have more than an entire team off contract. Rathbone, Fainifo, Edmonds, Chapman, Holmes, Henderson and Mackay under pressure? They'll be wanting to get onto Smith (both), Alexander, Moore and Kimlin pretty quickly. And then there's Gits....

...from the Force, who also have another young, quick stepping inside back off contract in JOC (James O'Connor). Plus another Wallaby back in Drew Mitchell. Pelesasa probably needs to pull out a big year, although game time may be difficult. Brown will be due an upgrade, whilst Horua could force the same with a big year.

Let the fun times begin!

F

formeropenside

Funnily enough, I pulled out a match program from a 1997 Reds game, the review of which was interesting. Not so much for the Reds team at the time, as the Brisbane Club rugby sides listed - First, Second and Colts.

Hardman was the Brothers first grade hooker, while Van Humphries was in either 2's or Colts for Souths. A young D. Vickerman was turning out for Uni Colts, with Nathan Sharpe playing first grade for the Students.

Hardman may play for another year or two yet!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
Funnily enough, I pulled out a match program from a 1997 Reds game, the review of which was interesting. Not so much for the Reds team at the time, as the Brisbane Club rugby sides listed - First, Second and Colts.

Hardman was the Brothers first grade hooker, while Van Humphries was in either 2's or Colts for Souths. A young D. Vickerman was turning out for Uni Colts, with Nathan Sharpe playing first grade for the Students.

Hardman may play for another year or two yet!

aha, proof. I tell that to people sometimes (southerners) and they think I'm mad. Vickers never played in QLD! I remember going to a club game around then and a Uni man telling me to watch out for these two young locks - Sharpe and Vickers.

F

formeropenside

I might do a post on that program sometime - found as I was doing a major cleanout - as there a few little interesting bits in it.

T

TOCC

Berrick Barnes
Greg Holmes
Hugh McMeniman
James Horwill

Those are the 5 that QLD need to re-sign, whilst i digby is great, some of the things he has done and said has taught me not to rely on him to much. He has said how he wasnts to go back to the Force and also how he wants to go play in the NRL.

Houston, i hope Houston re-signs, as long as he development keeps up this year. Hopefully he isnt swayed to go back down to NSW.

I think we should keep a keen eye on Chapman and Moore at the Brumbies, as well as Mitchell and JOC (James O'Connor) over west, they are four potentials how might head home.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
TOCC is entitled to make a Lee Grant.

[My name has been used as a verb and now I am claiming noun status - well earned for making the no so odd boo-boo.]

Good work on those contract details Lindy.

T

TOCC

Lindommer said:
TOCC said:
Berrick Barnes
Greg Holmes
Hugh McMeniman
James Horwill

Those are the 5 that QLD need to re-sign...

5? Que?
ah, i initially had Houston on the list as well, but reconsidered and took him off

Status
Not open for further replies.