• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

One-Dayers v England

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
How was that for a run chase? Watson was magnificent. Orthodox power, which is just brutal at times. Compare to the agricultural approach from some others - Smith, White and it is very pretty to watch.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jeez it was good from Watson. I remember when he was on about 110 and obviously cramping up, and I said to my mate that you would forgive him for getting out blindly going the tonk. But to his credit he persisted through the pain, and we needed him there at the end. He is a beautiful batsman to watch when in form.

Good supporting cameos from Clarke, Hussey and White. Each worked out what was needed in the game at the time they came in, and provided it perfectly.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Only caught the last 10 overs but the boys did a very good job chasing that down today. Watson is really developing into a fine batsman now. Well he has for a couple of years in the limited overs forms of the game.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'm really not sure what Smith is offering at this stage. He has a lot of technique issues that can't be fixed by just having international experience.

And as a 'pinch hitter' White is surely the man to go to.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Agree with you there Scotty. When Steve Smith came in, I was actually calling for White to join Watson at that precise moment. Cameron White is devastating in the later overs and has done it time and time again. Smith isn't just a little unorthodox with the bat, I think his technique has some serious problems. Good bowlers will find him out. My suggestion would be to play a bit more shield cricket and try to get a county contract in England to develop his technique on a variety of wickets against a variety of bowlers.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Agree with both of you. How do players like Smith and Hughes get to this level with such flawed techniques? Watch Haddin, Watson and Johnson when they "hit" the ball - it is normal stroke technique with some more oomph, bottom hand, clearing the front leg etc, but is remains a "normal" shot, not some half-arsed baseball / beach-fishing cast mongrel of a shot. And it seems to work. White is a bit ugly too, but I fancy his chances to pinch hit more than Smith. I did get a bit frsutrated last night a few times when White seemed to forget that a few singles might do as well as the big hoik.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I won't quote myself, but again, WTF is Smith about? What a rank, awful shot to play, and get out to. Watson can be forgiven, trying to glide it, Haddin was poor, Smith looked like someone plucked from Shires cricket for a go. And I wonder if Andrew Hilditch would care to comment further on his selection genius after watching Marsh score 110 playing, well, very good cricket shots, without looking like an unhinged albatross like some others. I mean, he has actually played like this all summer. Clarke out yet again to a ball which should never get a wicket.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Marsh has been batting out of his skin this year and has a proper classical technique. I can't believe the selectors left him out of the CWC squad, not just on ability, but form as well.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Marsh has been batting out of his skin this year and has a proper classical technique. I can't believe the selectors left him out of the CWC squad, not just on ability, but form as well.

I wonder how useless Hilditch feels he has to be, to qualify as doing "an average job"?
David Hussey, Smith and obviously Clarke and Ponting seem to be subject to a different set of criteria with regards to form and ability.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Shane Watson is surely the best ODI player in the world right now?

Best all-rounder too in all forms as well?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I wonder how useless Hilditch feels he has to be, to qualify as doing "an average job"?
David Hussey, Smith and obviously Clarke and Ponting seem to be subject to a different set of criteria with regards to form and ability.

I think the honourable thing would be for Andrew to resign, before he embarrasses himself or Australian cricket any more.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
His tenure runs out after the CWC and he has effectively presided over the selection of his final squad, unless the ACB decide to extend his contract. They wouldn't, couldn't surely?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

Hussey and, to a lesser extent, Smith got us over the line last night, Hussey in particular looked to be the perfect man for the job.

Great atmosphere at the ground last night; it's been a while since I went to the cricket and I was pleased to see it's still as enjoyable as I remember.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That's pretty much the first time we've seen that from Hussey the Younger, however. It was good to see him step up when the need arose though. Smith played OK, but got out to an awful shot. He needs to get that out of his game if he's to become any kind of decent player.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Hussey and, to a lesser extent, Smith got us over the line last night, Hussey in particular looked to be the perfect man for the job.

Great atmosphere at the ground last night; it's been a while since I went to the cricket and I was pleased to see it's still as enjoyable as I remember.

Yep, good effort from Hussey. We need to see more of it consistently, as we have from Hussey The Elder. Smith, however, still looks like a park cricketer to me.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
We won't see the consistency from the younger Hussey. He doesn't have a good enough technique. Shaun Marsh on the other hand...

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
The Pommy commentary team can barely talk in between shitting themselves laughing about Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.