• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

OPEN INVITE - Posters (people who post) and ideas wanted for G&GR front page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Fellas,

Here's an open invite - if you've got a blog-style post in you (or even an idea for one) we'd love to get it up on the front page for the world to see.

"What's the difference between a blog post and a forum post?"

Good question. Not sure I fully know myself, but I think the rule of thumb is that:
  • a forum post is more of "here's a quote / article / provocative thought. Waddya reckon?". Just a few lines long usually, quick and easy to get discussion going
  • a blog post might have a little more to it. A few ideas strung together, maybe interesting stats, or footage, or interview or quote to back it up, and can go for up to a page (but can be less). Should still draw comments
None of this is hard and fast and I reckon there are a heap of thread starters and posts in the old TYS that could easily be blog posts already. We don't want to flood it and re-create the forum, but what the front page can do is highlight some of the quality stuff that goes on in here already and help set the tone for the whole site.

So if you've got an idea or wish to get involved, drop me a PM. Don't hold back (as if).

Oh yeah, and make sure you drop by the front page from time to time to spray a few thoughts. It's only a click away and there are only a couple of posts a day so it's dead easy. Great to see a lot of the guys from the old G&GR are starting to register through in the forum here as well.

Gagger (Matt)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Gagger said:

The most important difference is anyone can take part in a blog post while only those registered with TYS/G&GR can contribute to forum posts. I often have a squiz at the ABC's Unleashed (http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/) blog site which is broadranging and esoteric in its subjects and opinions. But the beauty of it is anyone can contribute. There are those who're happy to blog on the front page without feeling obliged to join TYS/G&GR.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Lindommer said:
Gagger said:

The most important difference is anyone can take part in a blog post while only those registered with TYS/G&GR can contribute to forum posts. I often have a squiz at the ABC's Unleashed (http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/) blog site which is broadranging and esoteric in its subjects and opinions. But the beauty of it is anyone can contribute. There are those who're happy to blog on the front page without feeling obliged to join TYS/G&GR.

Well put Lindommer. Must have been your educashun. Gonna contribute?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
With Lee Grant MIA, a line of contenders has emerged to contend for digressor in chief.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Alright, got an Idea, is this the right part of the forum?

anyway, we can build G&GR to basically be an absolute rugby hub for any australian fan.

you have the forum for rants and raves

you have the blog for analysis and commentary

now I'm thinking a news hub, basically an RSS feed that can be accessed through this site, from a newshub section, more organised and filtered than those twitter idents such as rugbyphd and gothewallabies. if you were to filter it, add to it and mediate it, it would basically mean the site could become the starter page for any rugby fan in australia. Of course it would just redirect you to a number of places with the news, but make the search for news a lot easier for any rugby fan.

Just an option and idea

cheers

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
There are other rugby sites?

Seriously though, I feel our point of difference is we don't carry the AAP feeds so you know coming here you'll get unique content.

Sending traffic away doesn't help much either, i'd rather focus on providing relevant internal links than relevant external ones.

But I do like the idea of being a one stop shop, what is it specifically that people can't get here and need to be unfaithful?

For me it's overnight match scores.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
We used to have that in the early days of TYS. It was great, but no-one used it that much.

Agree with Moses in that match scores would be good, but anything else could overcomplicate things a bit.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
I have two suggestions,

1. To have a rugby fixture/ tv listings page

to allow people to easily find out coverage details of each match.

2. A suggestion box for analysis, videos, highlights and tributes.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
The difference between us and the rest is that we are not an 'all things to all people' site, like the Roar for example where they rebadge AAP and other news items (written by journos) under their own name.

There's a place for what they do but just regurgitating news from other organisations is not what makes us G&GR.

It's the discussion/comment/ideas/camaraderie in the Forum and the analysis/video/humour/ideas/unique match reports etc in the Blog.

I wouldn't want us to become a copy of the rest.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I've got a plan for results, we're going to create a new shared twitter account @ozrugbyscores and will posting scores to twitter. We can then embed this on our front page, and have several people able to update it through the night...

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Good ideas chaps - don't turn yourself into yet another rugby feed. Keep it unique, and with the personal feeling/flavour like it has now.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
This is a kind of random idea - I don't even know if this is the right thread to be honest, I just searched 'front page'.

Michael Pascoe (one of the Fairfax economics guys) is apparently a huge rugby fan. Reckon it would be worth asking him to write up a bit of a spiel about where he sees the financial future of the game heading? I'd be happy to reach out to him, but obviously don't have the authority to just offer a blog spot.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He's also a Queenslander. Maybe we should ask him what he thinks the impact of Richard Graham's reappointment might be on the financial position of the Reds.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
During the GAGR addicts detox period (AKA:eek:FF (Folau Fainga'a) and pre-season), what about some (blogs) (features / stories / updates) on what the Super Rugby clubs are doing? EG: Who is the new bloke and a profile (players, coaches, officials). For the relocated (changed teams) how he they fit / change dynamics for their new team and who they replace.

Also things like training updates: what the teams are up to (see who is doing what to get fit and skill up), speculation and gossip about what we think each teams new game plans will be (we may have to do a lot of making stuff up for the Reds here!), status of the rehab wards etc etc...

From there you could potentially branch out from the blogs to (pre-season) forums for each team covering social media and promotional events, memberships, pre-season games, new "themes" and merchandise (EG: the new "red / white / black" Brumbies jersey), meet the players events etc. (For the Tah's we may need a quick blog on meet the new management (including CEO Pfitzy) and how it works operates exists - please restrict it to a 50 parts if possible to explain it)

We could even get some educashuned people who know stuff about the game to do an analysis of last year to this - what need to stay, be improved, etc (dear Brumbies - all the people who can kick have gone. Please do not fix this issue!) Even an "what we think will be the new thing this year".

Another words the journey from post WC to the first season game in 2016. Also a good lead in for a tipping comp and comp form / other team blogs.

I think we already have most parts of this covered, but of its a bit more structured, tailored built on it could be a really good thing IMHO..

ArmchairGeneral

Ward Prentice (10)
I'm going to the pool games and QFs (our pool winners & runners up) with my mum who's a rugby nut. I can do a match day blog series from London if you like

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
One article that might be interesting is a recap of various times recently where the tv crew providing footage to the refs have influenced the game in favour of the home team. Incriminating angles not provided until after the decision has been made, foul/possibly foul play replayed umpteen times until the ref notices, foul play NOT replayed at all, angles provided when deciding try/no try etc. Also what, if any, measures are in place to regulate this kind of thing. Or what measures could be taken.

We all know it happens and could have an impact on this world cup. Given that we're playing England in the pools it could have a particular impact on our world cup campaign. Seems like a conversation which hasn't really been had yet.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Guys, I think the intent for this page is for people to run by us ideas they have for THEM to turn into blog posts.

Not so much for others to write about. If any of you want to write the stories you've suggested then I 100% support it. Just let me, or one of the other guys know, and we can help you get it on the front page.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Ah, gotcha. Well good luck then. I don't intend to write the article I suggested, just so it's clear.

Feel free to delete my 'contributions'.

Status
Not open for further replies.