• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pacific Nations Cup 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Canada and USA to join Pacific Nations Cup

Canada and the United States will join rugby's Pacific Nations Cup this year, the International Rugby Board said, providing a boost for tier two nations with more competitive matches.

The North American duo will be permanent additions to the IRB-funded annual tournament which features Japan, Tonga, Fiji and Samoa, the IRB said in a statement yesterday.

"This exciting enhancement to the IRB Pacific Nations Cup is good news for Japan, Canada, USA and the Pacific Islands," IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset said.

"We now have in place an annual high-calibre competition that will deliver compelling matches, while also fulfilling the high performance needs of our Unions."

Japan, World Cup hosts in 2019, will stage the final round in June, though holders Samoa will be absent as they take a sabbatical to compete in a four-team series in South Africa against the Springboks, Scotland and Italy having qualified as the best tier two side.

The initiative is the latest move by the IRB to try to improve standards in world rugby, which is dominated by New Zealand and a handful of other nations.

"The IRB has a long-term commitment through our strategic plan to create greater levels of quality test competition for tier two nations in order to boost the competitiveness of the world game and rugby World Cup," IRB Head of Development and Performance Mark Egan said.

"To that end we are investing more than 10 million pounds ($15.87 million) per annum in tournaments and high performance programmes for our targeted group of Strategic Initiative Unions."

'WONDERFUL OPPORTUNITY'

While undoubtedly talented, the Pacific Islanders have suffered from a player drain to bigger nations, with Samoan-born Manu Tuilagi currently playing centre for England and Fijian-born Radike Samo representing Australia in the backrow.

Despite the player losses, Samoa have moved up to seventh in the world rankings after wins away to Wales and Australia in the last 18 months, while Tonga won 21-15 in Scotland in November, their first victory over the Six Nations side.

With the expanded Pacific Nations Cup (PNC (Pacific Nations Cup)), coaches of the tier two teams are hopeful the upsets will continue.

"The new look PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) will provide the Eagles with consistent fixtures against some very competitive teams, this can only be good news for the Eagles as we plan our path to Rugby World Cup 2015 in England," USA Rugby Chief Executive Nigel Melville said.

Japan head coach Eddie Jones, who took Australia to the 2003 World Cup final, agreed with the Englishman.

"The IRB Pacific Nations Cup is a wonderful opportunity for Japan and all participating unions to elevate their performances to a higher level in order that we can be more competitive at future rugby World Cups," Jones said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ons-Cup?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Great news.

T

TOCC

ACT Crusader is talking about the quadrangular tournament(RSA, Italy, Samoa and Scotland) in South Africa for those wondering..

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'd put their inclusion on par with Argentina joining the rugby championship. Should go a long way to improving rugby standards of the national squad while raising rugby's profile domestically. Something that should have happened long ago.

It's also great to see Samoa getting to mix it with SA, Italy and Scotland. It would be nice to see such a tournament happen more often with maybe the winner of the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) being an invited team.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I loved watching Canada v Samoa earlier this year and the USA always looks to be on the verge of a massive win. I hope this gives both teams what they need to grow.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
good move and is actually a step back to where we were before the churchill cup.
we previously played in a version of this back as the Pacific Nations Cup and before that as the Epsom Cup.
The standard is now better though as the islands and japan have all improved. ditto the USA.
a good move overall

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I'd put their inclusion on par with Argentina joining the rugby championship. Should go a long way to improving rugby standards of the national squad while raising rugby's profile domestically. Something that should have happened long ago.

It's also great to see Samoa getting to mix it with SA, Italy and Scotland. It would be nice to see such a tournament happen more often with maybe the winner of the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) being an invited team.
The only reason SA is hosting this tournament is because they need the 3 teams to make the amount of cash they would get from one of the other Lions nations touring. New Zealand has a tour against France. This might happen in 4 years time again but I can not see it being a annual event on the Rugby Calendar.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Fair play to the IRB streaming the games for free, good way to get people to watch these game. Missed the game today, any standout performances?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Didn't get to see it unfortunately but there is a match report here

http://www.irb.com/pacificnationscu...+winning+start+PNC (Pacific Nations Cup)+2013

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
USA versus Canada in 30 minutes: http://www.irb.com/live/video.html

But got to love that in 2013, wind and rain may effect the live feed #UseAStadiumWithCableBroadband:
RugbyCanada@RugbyCanada
22m
Hey @USARugby & @IRBMedia Due to heavy wind/rain in #YEG, we may experience technical difficulties on our live stream. Stay tuned!

You from the USA?

Definitely disappointed we won't be fielding quite a few first choice players this match. I really don't think the USA can get much of anywhere internationally until we can string together a few consecutive wins against Canada.

If you think that issue with the live stream is bad I doubt you tried to watch any of the Men's or Collegiate National Championships before this year :D

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Canada 16 - USA 9
Pretty tight closing minutes. USA camped on the Canadian try line but couldn't finish it off.

Due to poor weather there was only one camera angle which did my head in at times, but better than nothing.

Pretty decent crowd considering the rain

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
You from the USA?

Definitely disappointed we won't be fielding quite a few first choice players this match. I really don't think the USA can get much of anywhere internationally until we can string together a few consecutive wins against Canada.

If you think that issue with the live stream is bad I doubt you tried to watch any of the Men's or Collegiate National Championships before this year :D

Aussie dad, American mom. Born/raised in the USA but living here now.

Both teams are missing some Euro players as this game is before the June test period. USA will be better in 5-8 years now that rugby has started to penetrate youth/high schools much more.

But they will need a pro-competition if they will ever break into the World top 12. Just look at the match today...lack of performance in simple pressure situations: around the ruck, flat passes in the face of defenders, etc is what dooms the USA. Without an abundance of high level matches the USA players will never get used to that pressure.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
The amount of resources being thrown into the 7s arena by USAR has me worried about the future development of the 15s Eagles. That and the complete mismanagement of the top level of the Men's Club and College games haven't exactly instilled me with the sense that USAR is the way forward. Either they need to get their act together or it may be time for the establishment of the new governing body - seems to be the way things are headed right now.

I love that the game is growing at youth level but if USAR or someone doesn't step in and clean up the 15s representative pathways things will take a long time to improve.

Poor decision making (stream quality was really shit so I couldn't see much detail) killed the Eagles from the ~15 mins I watched. I almost turned the stream off when Clever took that kick and returned it completely isolated and into 4 Canadian players. The enterprising bit of play that followed the turnover by Canada was nice though. The gap in skills between USA and Canada's backs seems to have been growing the past 2-3 years.

I was born/raised in the USA and still live here (Philadelphia). Where did you grow up/play?

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I was born/raised in the USA and still live here (Philadelphia). Where did you grow up/play?

Is that you Fresh Prince?

Sorry couldn't resist :D

7's becoming an Olympic sport is probably the worst thing that could happen to USA XV rugby, I could be wrong on this but don't Olympic sports get more government and college funding?

Status
Not open for further replies.