• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pacific Nations Cup 2015

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Mudbath in Apia. Someone might be winning but it's hard to tell. Incredibly handling skills considering it's halfway to 1975 Eden Park Scotland v AB test.

Looks like great fun but you couldnt try for a soup franchise if thats your home ground. Instead of sand-based turf it's mud-based mud.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Japan's pro structures wayyy too much for island time Fiji here. Could log 60.

Japan do not do locks though. Still relying on 58 year old Luke Thompson.

Fuck Japan though. There's about 5 Japanese guys in the team. What are the rest on, fucken tourist visas?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Thanks WCR for heads up of watching PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) on world rugby you tube as got to watch Tonga vs Samoa mud wrestling match and then watch the Japan vs Fiji match later.

Japan showed some good attacking flair while Fiji showed very little attacking flair and just lots of mistakes and turnovers. Always enjoy watching Japan matches played in their home country as their fans vocal support make for good match atmosphere, plus Japan try to always play up tempo fast rugby with some attacking flair.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Japan's pro structures wayyy too much for island time Fiji here. Could log 60.

Japan do not do locks though. Still relying on 58 year old Luke Thompson.

Fuck Japan though. There's about 5 Japanese guys in the team. What are the rest on, fucken tourist visas?

I don't get the problem with only 5 Japanese born players in national side...big attractive commercial market and fan base for Japanese rugby to tap into and if to do better to grow the game they have to recruit lots of PI and NZ based players to help build a quality side ok for me.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Canada may not be quite what they were a few years ago but fuck me Fiji have improved beyond recognition in the forwards in recent times. A Fijian scrum used to be about as tight as a Loig scrum but now it's an actual weapon for them as is their counter-maul. Wouldn't want to be the sevond-seeded team in their RWC Pool.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Japan fielding a whole 5 Japanese players in this one. Cantering to an easy win vs Tonga.

Tonga have no way to win the match. They don't align with a backline. Just a hit-up pod then 2 poor bastards stationed way out wide as spectators. Whatever happened to the Pacific island flair? They look like a shittily drilled european team

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don't get the problem with only 5 Japanese born players in national side
Yeah but the "development" angle doesnt wash when they've been doing it for 30 years and here we are in 2019 and the actual Japanese blokes are all still mired to the subs bench.

98.5% of Japan's population are Japanese people. So when Japanese people turn on the telly and see their national rugby team their first thought is "wft is going on here? this is not Japan." Japan = xenophobia a go-go. Probably relatable to the no-fucks-given about the Sunwolves due to the entire team being gaijin.​

Latts1992

Herbert Moran (7)
First of all. I can count around 13 Japanese-born (either in Japan or to at least one Japanese parent) players in the matchday 23. If we look at most Test teams that's pretty standard.

Also the Sunwolves, despite regularly losing, drew some of the highest crowds in Super Rugby. Hardly a no-fucks-given team.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah but the "development" angle doesnt wash when they've been doing it for 30 years and here we are in 2019 and the actual Japanese blokes are all still mired to the subs bench.

98.5% of Japan's population are Japanese people. So when Japanese people turn on the telly and see their national rugby team their first thought is "wft is going on here? this is not Japan." Japan = xenophobia a go-go. Probably relatable to the no-fucks-given about the Sunwolves due to the entire team being gaijin.​
The no-fucks-given biggest average home Super Rugby crowd?

I hardly think Kiwi's or Aussies (or the rest of the world, frankly) have a leg to stand on given we've been running the Pacific Islands Invitational for the past 30 years with no complaints offered.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
JPN 20-13 HT

Both teams with a zillion knock-ons on a bright dry sunny day in the islands in front of 38 paying spectators. Possibly the most low key tournament final in rugby history. About the same atmosphere as an Auckland schools 3rd XV match-up

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Pearl Harbour Invitational XV: 37
Enola Gay Dispatch Unit: 20

god knows how the sepps got 20 points. they seemed to be making zero inroads for the entire match

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ HT in Mooloos v Cantabs & women's Test is one-way traffic so thought I'd check this out. 3-3 after 44 & almost switched back but nek minit some gen-u-wine Melanesian b-ball & it's Fiji 10-3 Samoa. Followed by more fumbling & bumbling, sadly.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
after RWC pool games, seems weird to look back at this. was just a couple of short months ago but the US have pretty much piddled down their own leg while Japan are basically Tier 1 now.​