• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Palmer United Party

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Si Jacki wants to ban Sharia law as it is not in accordance with the Australian constitution. wecould then follow up on Leviticus (not an Islam text) and
Christian texts about cutting off hand and removing eyes

strangely enough passing such laws would be against the Australian constitution

Churchy was wrong, the five minute conversation with the elected is a good argument against democracy

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Palmer United Party are an embarrassment.

I eagerly look forward to their slide into obscurity like One Nation.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)

It would be nice to think so but as long as the ALP vote no to everything put forward in the senate then the PUP's and Greens have power.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)

It would be nice to think so but as long as the ALP vote no to everything put forward in the senate then the PUP's and Greens have power.

Who was obstructionist recently?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)

And that's different to the previous Labor government which relied on Green cross bench support how? Long before the PUP party held a seat.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The reason the parties like PUP, Aust Democrats, Greens et al exist is because there is a sizeable portion of the electorate who feel disenfranchised by Labour and Liberal. Some vote for the major party which they dislike least, while others vote for minor parties or independents.

It's a crisis throughout the western world that major political parties have become dominated by a professional political class, most of whom have never had a real job outside of politics.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Lambie's political brinkmanship truly showcases the best and worst parts of democracy. It positively demonstrates the power of the people on one hand and then on the other shows the ugliness of when an individual chooses to use that power to further their own pet interests.

If Lambie fell under a bus, I wouldn't shed a tear.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Lambie isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. I disagree with most of what she has to say but I think I do respect that she isn't drawn into this political popularity contest that most politicians do. I have my own views over the 1.5% offer to defense members but if she stays the course in regards to her views on the issues, I respect that.

I also wonder over time if public life broadens her outlook on the social spectrum as she becomes more experienced in her position.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
This will end up as more PUP crap.

She will never get re elected without the resources of PUP.

If she blocks ALL legislation till Abbott changes this is not people power etc it is blackmail. What if the legislation was to benefit Tasmania

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
That would be a great way to test her resolve.
However this is something she truly believes in. What would you do in a similar situation?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
There is a conviction based Senator who is not bound by any party crap. He does just fine in the electorate and has no issues with re-election to the extent he nearly picked up a second quota.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I actually like the stand Lambie is taking. I guarantee the Politicians are already lined up for another 10%+ pay rise in this term. I certainly don't think they deserve what they get let alone more, whilst IMO it is an insult to demand more and more of the ADF and offer a pay rise that doesn't even meet inflation. If the budget doesn't allow a net increase maintain the wage levels with a CPI increase.

As for the comment about not being concerned if Lambie fell under a bus, I doubt I stop dinner if parliament ceased to exist tomorrow. Out of the entire Parliament there are only a few they I do not hold in utter contempt and would even offer a glass of water to.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
However this is something she truly believes in. What would you do in a similar situation?
Work with my fellow politicians to reach as best a compromise as I could that was fair to all i.e; participate in the political process.

Holding the country to ransom is childish.

Like they say, a good compromise leaves all parties dissatisfied.

What happens when she realises she has the power and decides she wants gold plated roads in her electorate? Do we acquiesce to her requests because it's something she really believes in?

For the last 5 years I managed a team of 30 electricians and I can tell you they haven't had a pay rise in 5 years. 1.5% would probably look pretty good to them.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)

I would not lock my position in and be a lot smarter.

It is the bulk of the public service that needs to be worries about as they will be up for the same amount and that is heaps of money.

Sure they can be paid more but then I would cut more of them. Tell them that for each 0.5% extra 2500 others will loose their jobs

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Employment is dependent on the unemployment of others - the world according to Runner.

The "I'm alright, Jack" attitude is strong in this one.

T

Train Without a Station

whilst IMO it is an insult to demand more and more of the ADF and offer a pay rise that doesn't even meet inflation.

But how would that differ from the rest of the world?

I'm pretty left leaning but we need to get out of this culture of entitlement.

I have been exceeding CPI my last two pay reviews based on performance. The two companies I worked for previously though have offered closer to 1% to most employees the last two reviews though.

In order to entice the best work force the remuneration needs to be adequate, however we can't just expect annual rises above inflation out of right.

Status
Not open for further replies.