• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Paris-Roubaix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Amazing race last night.

Go Spartacus! What a ride.

Great effort by the GreenEDGE rider, Sebastian Langeveld to finish 7th.

Aussies Matt Hayman and Stuey O'Grady spent plenty of time at or near the front but ran out of gas.

After Le Tour, this is surely the best race of the year.

Reactions: Ash

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Was knackered and made the mistake of turning it on with 70km to go - couldn't turn it off!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Incredible that a 254km race finished with the two contenders just about doing a track stand in the velodrome.

Unbelievable stuff.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Paris Roubaix would have to be the best one day cycling race to watch, hands down.

I managed to wrest the TV from the wife with about 70km to go as well, then managed to hang around to the end, including watching the last 10km on my laptop from the SBS stream in bed. Bit disappointed I missed the Arenberg Forrest this year, but glad I got what I did of the race.

It was clear that Cancellara wasn't up to his usual standard. Normally when he puts the hammer down on the cobbles, that's it and only the really top tier guys like Boonen can hang with him. This time Stybar got on his wheel easily, and van Avermaet would've been there too if he hadn't been stuck behind Gaurdin at the time. The second time, Cancellara couldn't even drop van Marcke. None of those other guys are what you would normally put in the "top tier" of cobbled classics riders.

To be honest, I thought Cancellara was actually really cooked when he was in the third group of the day, before he put the hammer down on the road (not the cobbles!) and bridged to the second group, who then quickly caught the couple of leaders. When van Marcke and the OPQ guy whose name I've just forgotten I immediately thought that they were assured a podium position with Cancellara. I got one right!

Cancellara's weakness sure made for an exciting finish though.

And how unfortunate was it for Stybar and the other OPQ rider to hit the spectators? Really bad luck. Terpstra sorta saved OPQ's day by out sprinting van Avermaet for third. Which is ironic, as van Avermaet saved BMC's day when Hushovd and Phinney both fell off the pace way earlier.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ash - you should consider that Cancellara had two reasonably bad falls in the last week. Wednesday in the Scheldeprijs race in Belgium and Thursday in a training ride on the Paris-Roubaix course.

Whilst he obviously didn't break anything, no fall off a bike is without injury. He must have been pretty sore still.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Probably lucky he didn't do his collar bone. He just went straight over. Weird, normally Cancellara is one of the best bike handlers in the peloton.

Cancellara sorta did the same thing when he overcooked a turn in the Olympic Road Race (I think it was). Out of character for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.