• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

PDivvy blasts "Pointless Tri-Nations"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Really? Perhaps only pointless if you decide to field a second-rate team for half the comp you prat! I wonder what JON thinks about these comments?

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/TriNations/Div-blasts-pointless-T3N-20110715

Johannesburg - South Africa coach Peter de Villiers does not believe the Tri-Nations should be held in a World Cup year but he still has high expectations of his second-string squad for the opening two matches of the tournament.

"If we have an extended Super 15 competition, then it would be sensible to not also have the Tri-Nations in a World Cup year. But it's there on our schedule and we will use the opportunity," De Villiers told reporters on Friday.

"The excitement for the tour has really taken off this week and our expectations are very high because we are still representing our country. We want to win all our games and we are really confident. (captain) John Smit fired up the boys like only he can and we now have one week to fine-tune."

The Springboks fly out on Friday for games against Australia in Sydney on July 23 and New Zealand in Wellington on July 30, with 21 leading players out of action due to minor injuries after an expanded Super Rugby competition.

Smit, one of only a handful of players going on tour who will be confident of playing in the September and October World Cup, said he would still be leading a fine squad into battle.

"If this is a 'B' team, then the 'B' stands for Boks. We're going there to play rugby, not to make up the numbers and that's what we did the last time we took a so-called 'second-string' team over there," Smit said.

The Springboks were criticised in 2007 for touring Australia and New Zealand without most of their frontline players, including Smit, and although they lost two tight games the move paid dividends as they won the World Cup three months later.

De Villiers confirmed that flanker Heinrich Brussow, prop CJ Van der Linde and lock Johann Muller had been passed fit and would be flying out with the squad.

Squad - Gio Aplon (Stormers), Lwazi Mvovo (Sharks), Juan de Jongh (Stormers), Wynand Olivier (Bulls), Bjorn Basson (Bulls), Morne Steyn (Bulls), Ruan Pienaar (Ulster), Ashley Johnson (Cheetahs), Danie Rossouw (Bulls), Heinrich Brussow (Cheetahs), Alistair Hargreaves (Sharks), Johann Muller (Ulster), Werner Kruger (Bulls), John Smit (Sharks), Coenie Oosthuizen (Cheetahs), Chiliboy Ralepelle (Bulls), Dean Greyling (Bulls), Flip van der Merwe (Bulls), Ryan Kankowski (Sharks), Charl McLeod (Sharks), Adrian Jacobs (Sharks), Patrick Lambie (Sharks), Jean Deysel (Sharks), Odwa Ndungane (Sharks), Deon Stegmann (Bulls), Adriaan Strauss (Cheetahs), Elton Jantjies (Lions), CJ van der Linde (Stormers)

T

TOCC

Either he needs a lesson in fundamental economics or he is just trying to dismiss a competition which he has already conceded his team will lose in 2011..

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
I missed the part where he 'blasts'? I also can't find the word pointless in any of his quotes. Do you guys really fall for this journalistic crap?

I do agree though, there should be no 3N in a RWC year.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yea, South African news headlines are usually pretty dodgy. He didn't exactly slam anything.

Not sure about this one. I suppose they need the money (from the 3N) more than anything.

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
I missed the part where he 'blasts'? I also can't find the word pointless in any of his quotes. Do you guys really fall for this journalistic crap?

I do agree though, there should be no 3N in a RWC year.

I agree, time and time again Journalists take their hyperbole to new extremes. I, for one like having the tri nations to watch, even/especially as a build up to the world cup, and I guess it is money in the coffers for the union, but I can completely understand his sentiments. Just look how many injuries Australia suffered in the Super season. If I was a coach or player I'd be saying the same thime.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The 3Ns is someone devalued in a WC year but that doesn't mean there aren't economic and performance advantages through playing in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.