• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Perth Spirit News

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
C'mon WA types. Get some news in.

Otherwise we will rename the team the WA Anchors.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd be interested in any team news.

The Spirit had a decent side back in the ARC days.

Hopefully Robbie Abel will get some good game time.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
No news at this point. But here is a speculator at who will be in the team's squad. Those in bold will be Super Rugby players from the Force. I'm assuming EPS players (most of whom haven't taken the field for the Force) won't be included in the 15 player limit. Some players will be managed due to the number of games they've played this year. I have pegged mostly younger players to supplement the Super Rugby players because they are probably more likely to eventually make the Force than older club players.

Props: Ollie Hoskins, Tetera Faulkner, Chris Heiberg, Francois van Wyk

Hookers: Heath Tessman, Robbie Abel, Harry Scoble (Aus U20s)

Locks: Adam Coleman, Rory Walton, Ross Haylett-Petty (Aus U20s), Oscar Backhouse (WA U20s)

Backrows: Brynard Stander, Angus Cottrell, Richard Hardwick, Kane Koteka, Corey Thomas (latter three all WA U20s)

Scrum-halves: Justin Turner, Angus Taylor or Pat McCarthy (both WA U20s)

Fly-halves: Sias Ebersohn, Zack Holmes

Centres: Marcel Brache, Chris Tuatara-Morrison, Luke Burton

Wings: Junior Rasolea, Brad Lacey (Aus U20s), Dylan Sage

Fullbacks: Dane Haylett-Petty, Dillyn Leyds

A couple of players like Kyle Godwin, Matt Hodgson, Sam Wykes, Nathan Charles, Pek Cowan and Kieran Longbottom will probably play the full Super Rugby season. I reckon some of those guys will be rested. A couple might make the Wallabies (Godwin, Hodgson, Cowan and Charles) depending on injuries. Since this is a development competition, I don't really see the point in playing these established guys and would prefer not to see them over played. I don't mind if the non-WA guys go off to other states teams if they want to, but I'd definitely prefer it if they were used off the bench.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The only two reasons for Australian Super Rugby players not playing in the NRC is if they're in the Wallabies or injured..........

They won't be rested.........

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Perhaps "rested" is the wrong words. They will have non-specific injuries that they will need to recover from.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't see how non-participation by fringe players would be beneficial to their careers............

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't see how non-participation by fringe players would be beneficial to their careers....

Matt Hodgson is in his 30s. If he doesn't make the Wallabies this year with the form he has, he won't make the Wallabies ever. So non-participation has no significant effect on him in that regard. Given the way that he plays and his advancing age, there is a genuine risk that he will suffer long term injury. I don't think Longbottom and Cowan will get another look in with the Wallabies either. I think the priority should be getting our junior props up to speed.

I also wonder if players who have families (e.g. Cowan, Hodgson) would opt to spend some more time with them as opposed to spending another 2-3 months coming and going from home.

NationalRugbyChamps

Stan Wickham (3)
Hi Waussies,
Any news from WA? Pek made the Wallabies as did NC for the front row. As for the NRC side, with Longbottom off O/S the Spirit will have to blood some local talent possibly. Who's the best from the Pindan League?

The rest of the side should be Ok. I don't think the guys have a choice whether to play or not if contracted, at least the Australians will have to, I don't know about the imports. Will be interesting to see how it pans out. Will Foley et al be the coaching team too?

Cheers Guys

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
So no news, but a bit of speculation to keep this thread going. The Force currently have signed:

Chris Heiberg 2016
Tetera Faulkner 2015
Ollie Hoskins 2016
Heath Tessman 2015
Wilhelm Steenkamp 2016

Sam Wykes 2015
Adam Coleman 2016
Matt Hodgson 2015
Ben McCalman 2015
Brynard Stander 2016
Angus Cottrell 2016

Ian Prior 2015
Alby Mathewson 2016
Zack Holmes 2015
Kyle Godwin 2016

Marcel Brache 2015
Luke Morahan 2015

That's 17 players. Based on the previous Wallabies squad we'd lose McCalman and Hodgson for the NRC. We also would likely lose Steenkamp and Mathewson to the ITM/Currie Cups. Cottrell is out for the season :(. That leaves 12 players. Kyle Godwin also might be with the Wallabies. More players might re-sign.

So we would need about:

2 props, 2 hookers, 2 locks, 4 backrowers, 2 scrum-halves, 1 fly-half, 2 entres and 3 outside backs.

2 Props: Francois van Wyk and ?
2 Hookers: Harry Scoble (Aus U20s) and ?
2 Locks: Oscar Backhouse and ?
4 Backrowers: Ross Haylett-Petty (Aus U20), Corey Thomas, Kane Koteka, Richard Hardwick

2 Scrum-halves: Justin Turner and Angus Taylor or Pat McCarthy
1 Fly-half: Dillyn Leyds
2 Centres: Luke Burton (Aus U20), ?
3 Outside backs: Brad Lacey (Aus U20), Dylan Sage, ?

We could field a pretty competitive team while doing a good job of developing future Super Rugby players.

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
How are you guys feeling about coming overt for the first game against UC Canberra Vikings?
Im really looking forward to watching young talent go head to head!

TheHam

Allen Oxlade (6)
Copying from twf, these are the home venues for the Spirit (all look like suburban parks for club footy).....

>R2: Sun 31 Aug (3.30pm) v Brisbane City @ University of WA, Perth.
UWA Sports Park (McGillivray Oval) in Mt Clermont (near WF HQ):
dC8c9W3.jpg

>R3: Sat 6 Sept (2.00pm) v Greater Sydney Rams @ Adelaide Airport Stadium.
"Thebarton Oval" Torrensville, Adelaide ("interstate" home game):
UeMWc3C.jpg

>R6:#Sun 28 Sep (3.30pm) v Sydney Stars @ HBF Arena, Perth (Joondalup).
(Date and time To Be Confirmed)
This is "Arena Joondalup" - (believe it's the oval on the left below):
Jls0MUf.jpg

>R7:#Sat 4 Oct (3.30pm) v Queensland Country @ Rockingham RUC, Perth.
(Date and time To Be Confirmed)
This is "Lark Hill Sporting Complex" Port Kennedy:
E9hBqnR.jpg

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
In good news, Heath Tessman responded to Gaffa on twitter that he will be turning out for the Spirit.

PS. Spirit, what a wet tea towel of a name. The Perth Spirit Fingers. Would have preferred to forget Spirit and go with the Black Swans, or something that is a WA identifier.

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
As if you sandgropers weren't going to be shitty enough with the Spirit playing a home game in Adelaide, then they decide to play it at Adelaide Airport Stadium. Looks like something Matt Dunning shat out.

Coopers stadium (Hindmarsh) not available? Perfect venue, rectangular, great seats, and Coopers sponsors the local premier comp.

Whatever they are trying to do in Adelaide won't be very successful when you make a national comp play at a ground like that.......

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Guys and Gals, if anyone is interested in covering these games for Green and Gold Rugby (match reviews and/or photos) please let us know. We obviously want to cover the comp pretty extensively but will need more hands on deck. We can provide a template for match reviews if needed. If you are interested leave a comment here or send a personal message. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.