• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Perth Spirit News

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Piggies.JPG

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Quality lineup. Hopefully not their final season.

Spirit squad charged with defending title
by Sam Phillips​
Spirit coach Kevin Foote has named the 33 men charged with defending their NRC title.​
Foote's squad features 15 players who helped lift the trophy last season, along with 11 players from Pindan Premier Grade.​
“I think it is probably the strongest squad we have named,” Foote said.​
… “I love the NRC, I love seeing everyone the kids and the families come down to ‘Fill the Hill’ and watch the Spirit.​
"We love playing at McGillivray Oval and running out in the black and gold jersey, everyone takes a lot of pride in wearing the state colours.”​
Adam Coleman, Dane Haylett-Petty, Richard Hardwick and Tatafu Polota-Nau are the Wallabies listed among the squad, though they may only get service out of Hardwick, given the other three are fixtures in the Wallabies 23.​

By (guesstimate) positions:

Prop
Jermaine Ainsley
Pekahou Cowan
Mees Erasmus
Tetera Faulkner
Beau King
Baxter King
Shambeckler Vui

Hooker
Logan Ede
Sama Malolo
Tatafu Polota-Nau - Wallabies
Anaru Rangi

Lock
Richie Arnold
Adam Coleman - Wallabies
Ben Grant
Matt Philip

Backrow
Angus Cottrell
Richard Hardwick - Wallabies
Onehunga Havili
Kane Koteka
Ben McCalman
Isi Naisarani

Scrumhalf
Michael McDonald
Ian Prior
Michael Ruru

Flyhalf
Peter Grant
Nick Jooste
Jono Lance

Centre
Marcel Brache
Bill Meakes
Chance Peni
Sheldon Tawara

Winger
Brendan Owen
Curtis Rona - Wallabies now as well
James Verity-Amm

Fullback
Dane Haylett-Petty - Wallabies
Clay Uyen

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Big rally and show of support for Force at WA Rugby HQ yesterday. So here is the thing given NRC a fledgling competition, if say 5000+ Force fans turned up to watch Perth Spirit home games plus Force go onto win the NRC again (which given put out squad full of Western Force players likely), you don't think that would send a powerful message and also get TF continuing to support you guys?

Hope Force Fans turn out for spirit in numbers as message of support getting louder, but got to keep it up imo.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
One unfortunate thing about the rally, there was no mention of the Spirit at all. I thought it was a missed opportunity not mentioning the upcoming home games considering the turnout.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
this will also be the last year for the Spirit if the Force lose the appeal

Perth Spirit putting out effectively starting Super Rugby players will smash this competition.....I get why they have done this.......and can't blame them...but I seriously hope all the Force support translates into crowd support for home games as having lowest crowds like previous seasons for NCR home games would be like adding extra nail to the coffin....I don't get the picture that Force fans have gotten behind Perth Spirit in seasons past..so be interesting to see what happens here...

B

BLR

I don't get the picture that Force fans have gotten behind Perth Spirit in seasons past..so be interesting to see what happens here.

Crowd numbers have been amongst if not the best in the NRC from what I could see.

G_Beard

Stan Wickham (3)
Perth Spirit putting out effectively starting Super Rugby players will smash this competition...I get why they have done this...and can't blame them.but I seriously hope all the Force support translates into crowd support for home games as having lowest crowds like previous seasons for NCR home games would be like adding extra nail to the coffin..I don't get the picture that Force fans have gotten behind Perth Spirit in seasons past..so be interesting to see what happens here.

Crowd was pretty good on Sunday. The rugby community has gotten behind the Spirit in a big way this year. Seeing heaps of the junior coaches at the match with a bunch of their respective teams is a very good thing.

T

TOCC

Typically stadiums are opposed to curtain raisers on first class fields like Allianz, Suncorp, ANZ etc due to the damage to the pitch and the workload the fields have through the year. NIB has a lesser number of teams, so can't see that so much an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.