• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Perth Spirit News

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnionThug

Frank Row (1)
5 32 15 7 18 21 28

Though if I could do that I don't know if I would be sitting here in my office writing lectures for ungrateful undergrads!

Well seeing as you gave me 7 numbers you must have meant Oz lotto! If it wins I'll shout you a beer lol

T

TOCC

I wonder if Perth Spirit will change the way they approached games in 2016 and send full strength teams to the eastern states

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
They said they wouldn't play like an 'A' team and and 'B' team like they did last year. It would be a crying shame to see a first choice team played every week when we could be giving some development time to younger players.

I'd love to see some of our recent U20 guys (Nili Fielea, Ross Haylett-Petty, Angus Taylor, Harry Scoble, Brad Lacey, Luke Burton, Kane Koteka, Corey Thomas, Haydn Anderson, Riley Winter, Auega Seumantafa, Oscar Backhouse) get at least a couple of games starting or off the bench each.

Maybe rotating some of the younger players through on a 1 on, 2 off basis would be a good balance.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The players mentioned in these two articles that I have stumbled upon could very well feature for the Spirit.

PINDAN PREMIER GRADE TOSSES UP PERTH SPIRIT CANDIDATES
By rugbywa on Thu 2nd July 15

In 2014, 42 players pulled on the black and gold jersey for the Spirit with 19 of those being players exclusively from the Pindan Premier Grade competition. With the 2015 Buildcorp National Rugby Championship nearing we had a look at five stars of the local competition have made a strong case for selection in the Spirit squad of the 2015 NRC season.

Joe Savage (Palmyra)
Palmyra captain Joe Savage has been at his best for Palmyra so far this season. The skilled front-rower brings great experience to his Palmyra side and the Perth Spirit alike, after stints with North Harbour and Bay of Plenty in the ITM Cup as well as a Super Rugby career with the Chiefs, including the 2009 Super Rugby Final. Savage played 10 matches for the Spirit in 2014 and captained the side against the North Harbour Rays.

Faamanatu Apineru (Kalamunda)
Kalamunda winger Faamanatu Apineru has had a breakout season in the Pindan Premier Grade in 2015. Apineru is one of the most dangerous player in the competition and a key factor to the Bulls resurgence this season. With blistering pace and a knack for try scoring the young winger takes advantage of any space offered to him and is incredibly hard to bring down in open play. Apineru is the leading try scorer in 2015 with 15 tries to his name.

Michael Ruru (Nedlands)
Experienced scrum half Michael Ruru has been in spectacular form this season and has been hugely influential in Nedlands’ brilliant season so far. The dynamic scrumhalf is a constant threat to his opposition, clearing the breakdown quickly to provide good ball to his stellar backline as well as threatening the line himself by darting through gaps as the edge of the ruck. Ruru is the second highest try scorer in the competition, crossing the line 12 times and played three matches for the Spirit in 2014.

Maalonga Konelio (Joondalup)
Maalonga Konelio made the move from Perth Bayswater to Joondalup Brothers for the club’s maiden season in the Pindan Premier grade and has made in immediate impact. Konelio has been the Brothers’ most consistent back so far this season and is a huge reason behind Joondalup’s success in the season to date. Maalomga is the brother of Perth Bayswater centre, Kolia Konelio, and the talent runs in the family with Maalomga scoring three tries so far this season and assisted on countless more.

Brent Murphy (UWA)
A stalwart of West Australian rugby, Brent Murphy has been at it again in the Pindan Premier Grade this time for his new club, UWA. The likeable lock has been a valuable contributor for UWA and quickly become a leader in the pack in his new surrounds. Murphy was one of the Perth Spirit’s most consistent performers (and cult heroes!) and played nine matches for the side in 2015.

See more at: http://www.rugbywa.com.au/article/p...-perth-spirit-candidates#sthash.nrNZU3Ug.dpuf

GENERATION NEXT FOR THE PERTH SPIRIT
By David Berrie on Tue 14 July 15

The 2015 Pindan Premier Grade season has seen some the local competition’s most promising young talents come into their own. With the 2015 Buildcorp National Rugby Championship (NRC) just around the corner, we thought we would have a look at some of the fresh faces putting their hands up for selection in the Perth Spirit squad for 2015.

Riley Winter (Wests Scarborough)
Riley Winter is a hard hitting lock who has been consistent performer for Wests Scarborough in the second row alongside the Western Force’s Rory Walton. Winter’s performance for his club and state representative sides earned him selection in the Australian team for the World Rugby Under 20 Championship that were held in Italy last month, where the side finished fifth.

Jermaine Ainsley (Nedlands)
Nedlands, tight-head prop Jermaine Ainsley has proven himself as one the most promising up-and-coming front-rowers in the state has been influential in Nedlands’ brilliant Pindan Premier Grade season to date and has scored one try so far this season. Ainsley’s ability was also been recognised with selection in the Western Australian Under 20 side and he came off the bench for the Force ‘A’ against Singapore back in April.

Auega Seumantafa (Kalamunda)
Auega Seumantafa has been a key figure in the ‘Kala’ line-up this season and his work all over the park been hugely influential in the Bulls rise up the table. Seumantafa has made a name for himself powerful, hard tackling flanker and has scored three tries so far this season. Seumantafa was part of the victorious Western Australia U20 Southern States Championship side earlier this year and was named player of the tournament.

Richard Hardwick (UWA)
Richard ‘Dickie’ Hardwick has had a strong season so far for UWA in the Pindan Premier Grade. The versatile backrower has been at his best for the students this season alongside fellow Spirit teammate Brent Murphy. Hardwick is a member of the Future Force Academy and played 10 matches for the Spirit in the 2014 NRC season.

Onehunga Kaufisi (Palmyra)
Onehunga Kaufisi has been a cause for constant excitement for Palmyra in the Pindan Premier Grade this season. The versatile No.8 boasts tremendous power and speed with ball in hand as well as a knack for crunching tackles. Kaufisi has also spent some time on the wing this season scoring two tries.

- See more at: http://www.rugbywa.com.au/article/generation-next-perth-spirit#sthash.OXbDbYvZ.dpuf

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hi all,

last year GAGR covered the NRC better than any other media unit out there. We had the support of a great bunch of supporters who stuck their hand up and either wrote reviews or previews or took photos.

If you are keen to stick your hand up to help out this year, please send me a direct message and let me know (including team and which discipline).

We make it easy with you in terms of templates for match reviews and previews.

Media accreditation through the ARU will also be available.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
2015 Buildcorp National Rugby Championship – Marquee Player Alignment:

Perth Spirit
Tetera Faulkner
Kyle Godwin

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Perth Spirit Squad

Loose Head Prop
Chris Heiberg - Western Force (WF)
Francois van Wyk - (WF)

Hooker
Heath Tessmann - WF
Harry Scoble - UWA

Tight Head Prop
Oliver Hoskins - WF
Tetera Faulkner - WF

Locks
Rory Walton - WF
Riley Winter - Wests Scarborough
Ross Haylett-Petty - WF

Blind Side
Chris Alcock - WF
Hayden Anderson - Wests Scarborough

Open Side
Kane Koteka - WF
Auege Seumanatafa - Kalamunda
Richard Hardwick - UWA

Number 8
Angus Cottrell - WF
Adrian Hall - Cottesloe
Alex Rovira - Associates

Half Back
Ian Prior - WF
Ryan Lauwrens - WF
Michael Ruru - Nedlands

Fly Half
Luke Burton - WF
Nicholas Jooste - Hale School

Inside Center
Kyle Godwin - WF
Junior Rasolea - WF

Outside Center
Ammon Matuauto - Associates
Maalonga Konelio - Joondalup Brothers

Brad Lacy - WF
Byron Hutchinson - Wanneroo

Sevuloni Mocenacagi - Fijian Sevens
Onehunga Havilli - Palmyra

Full Back
Albert Nikoro - WF
Daley Harper - Kalamunda

More details at http://www.rugbywa.com.au/article/perth-spirit-squad-announcement-2015-buildcorp-nrc-season

Positions from the Facebook Post https://www.facebook.com/PerthSpiri...0430378133845/498667130310168/?type=1&theater

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Where did Lance play last year in the NRC? I don't remember him playing at all. Presumably he would have been in a NSW side since he was with the Tahs.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I wonder E&E how Jooste would have looked behind the NSW I pack.

Not as strong a team as last year for Perth Spirit but I think they will have consistency that we didn't have last season. We should be fairly strong across the field but maybe a bit weak in the line-out.

T

TOCC

619559d98aaadee65f2b23c099098262.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting that Jooste did not make Aust Schools or the Barbarians (A Team) but has been picked for NRC.

I really liked the look of Jooste at National Schoolboys Championships this year.

Good to see he has been selected for the Spirit.

Will not be the first time the ASRU selectors may have overlooked a player, or overpromoted a player, and won't be the last.

Status
Not open for further replies.