• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Perth v Qld Country — Sat 4 Oct @ Rockingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Perth Spirit v Queensland Country
Saturday 4 October 2014
3.30pm AWST (Perth)
5.30pm AEST (Brisbane)

@ Rockingham Rugby Club

Lark Hill Sporting Complex, Port Kennedy, WA.
5IDKFhF.jpg

Referee: Will Houston
AR1: Rob Kellam
AR2: Pat Davis

duNVizdt.png

Coaches: David Wessels & Kevin Foote
Captain: Sam Wykes

1 Joe Savage, 2 Robbie Abel, 3 Tetera Faulkner, 4 Sam Wykes (c), 5 Brent Murphy, 6 Brynard Stander, 7 Kane Koteka, 8 Alex Rovira;

9 Ian Prior, 10 Zack Holmes, 11 Marcel Brache, 12 Luke Burton, 13 Kyle Godwin, 14 Luke Morahan, 15 Dane Haylett-Petty.

16 Harry Scoble, 17 Chris Heiberg, 18 Oliver Hoskins, 19 Corey Thomas, 20 Richard Hardwick, 21 Justin Turner, 22 Ammon Matuauto, 23 Christian Joubert.

933MRYot.png

Coach: Steve Meehan
Captain: Ben Adams

1. Haydn Hirsimaki, 2. Ryan Freney, 3. Campbell Wakely, 4. Rubin Fuimaono, 5. Blake Enever, 6. Mitch King, 7. Jack de Guingand, 8. Ben Adams;

9. Sam Grasso, 10. Matt Brandon, 11. Giles Beveridge, 12. Sam Johnson, 13. Campbell Magnay, 14. Tom Pincus, 15. Jamie-Jerry Taulagi.

16. Michael Parker, 17. Feao Fotuaika, 18. Andrew Parker, 19. Sam Fattal, 20. James Turner, 21. James Tuttle, 22. Herman Porter, 23. Pierce Fitzgerald.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Ok, I'll ask the obligatory weekly question.....

Is there going to be a live stream? And if so, where can I see it?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Dunno what happened to the stream arrangement that HQ at RugbyWA seemed to have with Local Sports Online. Dropped through last week.

Looks like we're stuck with twitter: #PERvQLD

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
31-13 at Half time, with Morahan scoring for the Spirit just before the break.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Hat-trick for Country's de Guingand after Wykes got 10 in the bin. and a try to Enever @ 60 mins

Spirit 44-29 Country

T

TOCC

i'd like to see a tally of super rugby caps between these two teams

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
But it's only fired up the Spirit.

Tries to Savage and Va'a Mailei (from a Godwin grubber - continuing this from last week)

Spirit 68 - 29 !!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Guys, a bit of a review of the match is below - I'm not a huge fan of writing them but someone's gotta do it.

Gaffa, were you doing something for this game? If not I'll pass this onto the GAGR powers that be.

Anything missing let me know. Thoughts on MOTM?

The Perth Sprit unleashed another bonus point thumping at home to defeat Queensland Country by 68–29 in their Round 7 NRC clash at Rockingham.​
RugbyWA spread the love again for their final home match of the season, taking it 55km south of Perth this time to the Rockingham Rugby Club's ground at Lark Hill in Port Kennedy. The crowd wasn't as big as for the other two games in The West, but they saw in a rousing win for the local side.​
The Match
Perth got straight into their work with debutant Christian Joubert scoring in the corner and openside Kane Koteka getting over from a lineout drive 5m out to put on a 10–0 lead in the first ten minutes.​
Not to be outdone, Country's own openside flanker Jack de Guingand (JdG) managed to strike back a few minutes later with a try on his starting debut, narrowing the gap to 10–8 after flyhalf Matt Brandon added the extras.​
In a style we have become accustomed to in the NRC, the quick-footed JJ Taulagi swerved and stepped around 4 defenders on the left wing for Qld Country before being brought down, and shortly thereafter JdG was over for his second try to give the visitors the lead at 10–13 at the mid point of the first half.​
It was good to see Country taking it up to the Spirit, but the Perth side were getting on top in the contest for the ball and they took back the lead courtesy of a try to Robbie Abel in the 25th minute. Perth then stormed ahead with Koteka bagging his second try and Luke Morahan getting some meat just before the break to push the half-time score out to 31–13 in favour of the home side.​
Unfortunately for Country, the second half was to be like the first with powerful flanker Brynard Stander scoring a try after 2 minutes, followed by hooker Abel claiming his second meat pie for the Spirit to bump the score out to 44–13 with less than 10 minutes elapsed since the half time break.​
Fortunes turned however when the Perth captain Sam Wykes incurred the wrath of referee Will Houston and was sent to the bin with a yellow card in the 52nd minute. Country's openside, the Tasmanian-raised de Guingand promptly bagged his hat-trick which Brandon converted. Then the big lock Blake Enever, in his first NRC game, also got over the line with Brandon converting to close the gap to 44–29 at the mid point of the second half.​
But this only served to fire up the Spirit with openside Koteka, who plays his rugby at Wests Scarborough club, bagging his own hat-trick to match JdG. Zack Holmes converted it to pass the half century in the 65th minute, 52–29.​
Perth went on to finish over the top of Country with a try to prop Joe Savage and another to replacement winger Va'a Mailei, who collected a grubber from Kyle Godwin that bounced up nicely for him. Godwin has proved adept at using the grubber two weeks in a row now. Perhaps Nick Phipps and Matt To'omua should take notes! An emphatic 68-29 win was the final result.​
Country put up a good fight but couldn't stay with the Spirit when they put their foot down. The front row Parker brothers from Townsville, Michael and Andrew, came on for the final 10 minutes which was good to see for Queensland Country rugby.​

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
@kiap sorry mate I'm about 300kms south of Rocky right now didn't get to see the game but great write up wish I could have been there.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
great write up kiap,would have liked to be there but her indoors had me on pruning duties for the 6 monthly council verge collection !

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Cheers guys. Okay, I'll send it in to the editors. It might take a while to appear, tho.

Thanks Kiap for the summary, but a slight correction. JdG was born in Tassle, schooled in Melb (St Kevins - leading rugby school there,) then Sydney Uni, where he played with 1s and 2s.
He is now at Uni of Qld doing Medicine, which somehow qualifies him for Qld country...
So more Victorian than anything else.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Thanks Kiap for the summary, but a slight correction. JdG was born in Tassle, schooled in Melb (St Kevins - leading rugby school there,) then Sydney Uni, where he played with 1s and 2s.
He is now at Uni of Qld doing Medicine, which somehow qualifies him for Qld country.
So more Victorian than anything else.
Thanks - yeah, did a few edits last night before it got to the front page:

Jack de Guingand – UQ med student and Tassie-born flanker​

Also saw he played for Harlequin in Melbs at one stage but left that bit out (sorry).

So yes, he's mainly Mexican.

I like the Tassie-born angle, though, because it adds an angle of rarity when combined with top rugby player (and, these days, medical student).

He played for Hospital Cup winners UQ this year which is how he got selected for Qld Country (Far Far South region).

Status
Not open for further replies.