• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Peter Roebuck Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
One should always be careful for what we wish for: I've called for Roebuck's sacking many times over the years as I think he's a crap cricket writer and broadcaster, and his past dealings with young men didn't cover him with much glory. But to hear of his death in these circumstances, in fact any death in these circumstances, is a tragedy.

It would seem Peter's been a tortured soul at times throughout his life, I hope he now finds some peace.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
One should always be careful for what we wish for: I've called for Roebuck's sacking many times over the years as I think he's a crap cricket writer and broadcaster, and his past dealings with young men didn't cover him with much glory. But to hear of his death in these circumstances, in fact any death in these circumstances, is a tragedy.

It would seem Peter's been a tortured soul at times throughout his life, I hope he now finds some peace.

What are "these circumstances"?
You're not the first person I have heard be critical of Roebuck and I know too little of the game to have an informed view to the contrary.
I do seem to recall him contradicting himself, without acknowledging that he was doing so, within a short space of time - but that might be seen as the price of forcefully expressing opinions.
I am concerned that with his loss there will be no-one outside the tent and yet with a job in the media - no one to pour scorn on the officials when they need it: it's not Jim Maxwell's job to bag them and, lets face it, the Channel 9 commentary team seem to have no independent thought process at all, even with the Goanna's departure.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
You have to feel sorry for his ABC radio collegues. The show must go on but crap that must be easier said than done.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah suicide has been confirmed, think there may be a lot more to come of this. A sad end to a great writer.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
According to the smh one of the police, uniformed, was in his room when he "fell".
His mates at the abc and smh may be confronted with a dilemma: the man they knew vs the real man.
Which does one put in his obituary?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think we're jumping to conclusions chaps. Let's give it some time to play out.

Consistently the best cricket writer I've read and, by the sounds of it, a man who gave back to cricket and the wider community more than he took from it.

Certainly his death, but, depending upon whatever else emerges, possibly also his life, is steeped in tragedy.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think we're jumping to conclusions chaps. Let's give it some time to play out.

Consistently the best cricket writer I've read and, by the sounds of it, a man who gave back to cricket and the wider community more than he took from it.

Certainly his death, but, depending upon whatever else emerges, possibly also his life, is steeped in tragedy.
I don't think it will play out well. The media love to get their teeth into stuff like this, and I can't see it ending up anything but ugly. I suspect there will be little dignity in his death. The whole thing is just desperately sad.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

I have to disagree Cutter, no-one has really said anything outside what has already been confirmed by the police.

Roebuck threw himself out the window whilst being questioned by police over an alleged sexual assualt.

You don't have to be a genius to put 2 and 2 together there, especially given Roebuck's past and the rumours that have always surrounded him in cricketing circles.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
...especially given Roebuck's past and the rumours that have always surrounded him in cricketing circles.

Rumours or gossip? I'm not aware of any incidents in his background other than caning the kids he was coaching. Whilst that might be an extreme form of punishment, most teachers did it at one time.

If you wait long enough, you won't have to demonstrate how you can (or can't) add 2 and 2.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Rumours or gossip? I'm not aware of any incidents in his background other than caning the kids he was coaching. Whilst that might be an extreme form of punishment, most teachers did it at one time.

If you wait long enough, you won't have to demonstrate how you can (or can't) add 2 and 2.

This is true, but we can still talk about it in a civilised fashion here as long as we stick to the facts (or rational interpretaions of them).

He was clearly a very odd man, and his death also speaks to that. There is a little bit more to that court case than just the caning itself, I suggest finding the transcript of the judgement. I had a read of some excerpts in one of the more mean-spirited eulogies, but can't find it again. Basically there were some very odd elements to it all. Nothing terrible or ciminal, but it does further paint a picture of a very strange man.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The caning was innocuous, in one sense. The story was, however, that after caning he requested a look at the buttocks of those who had been caned.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1359991/Ex-Somerset-captain-caned-young-cricketers.html

The problem was the imbalance in the relationship. As I read the article these were kids from Africa well used to corporal punishment, far from home, who may have though that they had choice but to accept it.

It only came to light when one of them told another person: www.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/1608831.stm

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Anyone who commit suicide is selfish. These cricketers have some dicey shite off the field and pretty sure the truth wont make up for easy reading.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Anyone who commit suicide is selfish. These cricketers have some dicey shite off the field and pretty sure the truth wont make up for easy reading.

Generally I'd agree - but I'm getting the feeling that Roebuck was very much a loner with no significant other or others in his life.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Andrew Bolt weighs in to the Roebuck saga, and for once I agree with some of what he says:

A chapter missing in Roebuck’s eulogies

IF Peter Roebuck were a Catholic priest, rather than a cricket writer, would there have been this silence?

The silence I mean is the hush by his employers and some close colleagues over what drove him to jump from the sixth floor of his South African hotel on Saturday.

In fact, what we need is not silence but some explanations from Fairfax newspapers and the ABC, of the kind that they would demand from the Catholic Church.

The bare facts of Roebuck’s death were known to media insiders within hours.

On his last evening, detectives interviewed him in his room over allegations of sexual assault. In distress, he called a friend, ABC commentator Jim Maxwell.

Minutes after Maxwell left, and with a policeman still in the room, Roebuck jumped from a window.

True, it’s only in the past two days that more details of that alleged assault have emerged, with reports that a 26-year-old Zimbabwean man accused Roebuck of sexually assaulting him after making contact through Facebook.

But as Maxwell confirmed on Monday when asked if he knew of the complaint: “I was aware of that a while ago, yes.” He wasn’t alone.

What was also known - and for years - to Roebuck’s employers and many commentators now praising him is that a decade ago he was convicted in Britain of the common assault of three of the many African boys he’d taken into his home, promising them an education or coaching.

In a statement, one victim said Roebuck told him: “I’m going to cane you now. Then it will be over and I will forgive you and, if I don’t cane you, I will feel differently about you.”

He then chose one of six canes in a rack and delivered “three forceful strokes”. The prosecutor added: “Roebuck then pulled the boy towards him, in what appeared to be an act of affection. He then asked if he could look at the marks on the boys’ buttocks, something which he in fact did.” Another boy was also asked to show his welts.

Roebuck claimed he was just enforcing discipline, but the judge replied: “It seems so unusual that it must have been done to satisfy some need in you.”

Roebuck was sentenced to four months in jail on each count, suspended for two years, but in Australia - his new home, with South Africa - his career bloomed.

He was a compelling cricket writer for the Sydney Morning Herald and Melbourne Age, as well as commentator for the ABC, and the tributes paid to him this week by both organisations were lavish.

“A magnificent analyst and writer on the game,” declared ABC boss Mark Scott.

“An extremely gifted cricket writer,” said Greg Hywood, CEO of the Fairfax papers.

And that much is true. But many of the testimonials written by Fairfax and ABC commentators went further, giving Roebuck a fine character reference while avoiding any mention of perhaps its greatest stain - and of a possible explanation for a death some claimed not to understand.

Take Age writer Greg Baum: “He was a loyal friend who felt the pain of others as acutely as only the highly intelligent do.”

The only hint of Roebuck’s old shame and last anguish was this: “He fought to reconcile himself to his flaws, and it was the central drama of his life. He was tormented as only genius can be. The circumstances of his death attest to it.”

But the only hint of one possible “torment” was again flattering: “But he perhaps found his life’s work in South Africa, where he created a community of 40 underprivileged South African and Zimbabwean boys and spent pretty much every cent he earned putting them through school.”

The facts around Roebuck’s fatal jump were given just a couple of paragraphs, deep in the news, and buried under more kind eulogies.

The ABC’s Tim Lane, a warm man, was typical: “Through the shock and distress of his demise one delves, for succour, into the memories of the many good times.” No mention of bad.

Same with the tribute by former England bowler Vic Marks. Not a word of scandal, other than this: “He could not share the demons within and tragically went the same way as another Somerset opener, Harold Gimblett. And we are left to wonder why.”

We are? Well, only if we’re not told what such writers really know.

All this evasion raises this question: what else did Roebuck’s bosses and colleagues know about him that they haven’t said? And by their silence, did they give him an authority he may have misused?

These are not accusations. We do not know the facts behind the latest allegation against Roebuck.

We do not know if his abuse of three boys a decade ago was more than just an aberration, long repented. Indeed, boys he’d helped have praised him after his death.

Besides, wasn’t any harm he did overwhelmed by the help he gave?

All these are good points in defence of the media tributes to Roebuck. But how generous is this same media when the subject is not a journalist, but a priest?

Status
Not open for further replies.