• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Peter Roebuck Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Nothing I am seeing here has changed my original view one iota. Now that he's dead, these guys have nothing to gain in saying these things, in fact the shame and humiliation of what was done would continue to predicate against it, but the influence that kept them quiet in the past has been removed and the human condition likes a bit of catharsis. There will never be a uniform response from all of the young men he gathered around him. Some will choose to deny events even to themselves, some will simply not have been targetted in the same way as others. It is clear, however, at least to me, that Roebuck was a deeply disturbed man who engaged in some seriously inappropriate behaviour. He may have battled his "demons" but it doesn't look to me like he ever really acknowledged what he was doing was wrong or tried to battle very hard. The whole set-up with the house looks to me like a physical manifestation of the mental process that created it - a patina of respectable philanthropy to salve a conscience that at some level realised his actions were inexcuseable and suffered a huge amount of guilt and torment as a result. His inability to stop a few of these young men turning the tables and taking advantage of him in the end was probably as much his guilt and self loathing telling him he deserved it as it was the truth making the claims impossible to defend openly.

lonhro10

Frank Nicholson (4)
I always thought Roebuck was overrated with his writing and commentary. I always got the impression he was trying too hard to be like some of the great American sports writers but always fell short. In addition to his victims I feel for his fellow colleagues who had no idea of his antics before the truth was available and were probably part of the 'fawning' that followed his death.

In saying that his referred to 2008 article about that test win over India at the SCG I thought was spot on. The way we played that last session but specifically the treatment of Sharma by Ponting was vile. An 18 year old kid on debut being followed and 'sledged' from the boundary until the crease was as pathetic an act as I have ever seen by a professional sportsman. I am certain Ponting did not get the same treatment on his debut. My opinion of Ponting changed that day especially as a captain of my country's team. If you couldn't get this guy out by normal means you don't deserve to win.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
You've obviously forgotten the "two-right-gloves" performance by Sharma, l10. With time of the very essence Sharma (or someone in the Indian dressing room) tried to chew some up and deprive Australia of an extra over by walking out with two right batting gloves. Sharma had to retrace his steps to exchange a glove, taking up some of that extremely valuable time in the process. For mine it was blatant cheating. If I was the Australian captain at the time I'd've given him a gobful too.

lonhro10

Frank Nicholson (4)
No remember it well as it happened right in front of me and I'm sure Sharma was put up to it by his dressing room as well. Your right it was a blatant attempt to cheat but I still think Pontings reaction was over the top to an 18 year old no 11 batsman.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
If that was the background to Pontings behaviour, then I see it as more of an enthusiastic lecture on the facts of life than a sledging and well deserved too.

Context is everything sometimes.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
From reading Kohli's comments on twitter & pietersens response, it would appear that Ponting's actions on this incident seem fairly in line with the crowd

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
From reading Kohli's comments on twitter & pietersens response, it would appear that Ponting's actions on this incident seem fairly in line with the crowd
Ponting's actions in Kohli's flipping of the bird?
If not, what has Ponting giving Sharma a serve got to do with Kohli?
I'm a bit lost here, mate?

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Ponting's actions in Kohli's flipping of the bird?
If not, what has Ponting giving Sharma a serve got to do with Kohli?
I'm a bit lost here, mate?

So you should be. I'm bored so stirring - nothing more, nothing less...

Just doing everything I can to point out poor aussie crowd behaviour after the shit storm created from the booing of QC (Quade Cooper)!

(when does rugby season start again)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So you should be. I'm bored so stirring - nothing more, nothing less...

Just doing everything I can to point out poor aussie crowd behaviour after the shit storm created from the booing of QC (Quade Cooper)!

(when does rugby season start again)
I thought you might have been!
On a side note, I was watching SA v Sri Lanka and Dale Steyn was relentlessly giving it to the SL young fella (name escapes me). I'd be amazed if we hear a flood of scorn for Steyn for his "reprehensible behaviour" (the young fella had the temerity to nick him and not get out). I'm not suggesting he should be slated for it either.
Then again, if he was Australian, there'd be a 6 page thread somewhere or other...

Status
Not open for further replies.