• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

PIES - Steak or Mince?

Pie preference

• Steak

Votes: 36 78.3%
  • Mince

Votes: 10 21.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
"gunk 'n' cheese", "anything 'n' cheese", pfftt, each to their own, Bullrush. Putting industrial cheese on any food's a simple way of hiding lack of flavour with a mouth-filling fat.

I like the KV pies, take it from me they're bloody good.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I bought 3 of their pies and was bitterly disappointed. As you say, each to their own but I have had a LOT of pies in my time (if you ever meet me in person I'm sure this won't surprise you!! LOL) and these were far from being the world's best, in my humble opinion :D

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
As this has been resurrected, l will put in the Norah Head Pie shop for a really nice quality flavoursome pie. Nice pepper to the gravy yum :)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I wonder if one of the more tech savy Gaggerlanders could produce some sort of GPS linked graphic that shows the recommended Pie Shops on a map of Oz. That would be handy for Gaggerlanders travelling about.

Alternately every so often we could post a text summary of recommended pie shops and locations.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I posted this from my Instagram about 2 months with ago and said

"You really should have to qualify a statement like this..I had such high hopes.."

I miss the pies from NZ - just good ol steak 'n' cheese or mince 'n' cheese pies.

View attachment 3454
Clancy's pies on Olsen avenue, Ashmore gold coast. Do real aussie pies and crappy Kiwi ones too. The pies are sensational and big and chunky. The sausage rolls are very average.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
Some late breaking pie updates from the West...

Best meat pie in the country - Perth's northern suburbs

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/world/18984694/wa-has-best-pie/

426793444-193hib5.jpg

The baker is one happy camper. Good on him.

Best country WA meat pies - can recommend Denmark bakery pies

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/world/18994170/dongara-pie-fection/

A value-added piece of gristle. The awards for best pies in Oz go to:

http://www.hospitalitymagazine.com.au/food/news/upper-crust-best-pies-in-the-country-named-at-fine

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I've got some friends one week into a year+ trip around Oz, turns out his love of pies have cured his vegetarianism so I pointed him to this thread.

His top two so far are Husky Bakery in Huskisson and the Barrengarry store in Kangaroo Valley.

Only thing is it's quite hard to lookup a pie shop from this, so what are the thoughts on sticking the pielights into a shared spreadsheet?

I set one up here, have a look and let me know what you think.

This from @Moses probably deserves some oxygen here.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Great Northern in Chatswood, Sydney does a great restaurant style pie; steak and kidney or chicken and mushroom. Tender meat, good flavour and awesome pastry

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381547177751.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381547177751.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 268

Tex

John Thornett (49)
There's a local French bakery that make an amazing lamb and rosemary pie. It's called A Taste of France and is in North Carlton.

I was particularly impressed with the scallop pies on offer down in Tasmania. I took it upon myself to be fair and impartial when deciding between curried scallops or scallops in white sauce, so I ate shit-loads of both.

Delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.