• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

PIES - Steak or Mince?

Pie preference

• Steak

Votes: 36 78.3%
  • Mince

Votes: 10 21.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
BuaDkg8CcAAK09d.jpg:large

Sean Maloney recommends this joint in Bathurst.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This should settle some arguments, or perhaps start some.
http://www.greataussiepiecomp.com.au/roll_of_honour.htm

OGAPC_website_01.jpg

Overall Plain Meat Pie Winners
1990 Colonial Bakery, Milsons Point, NSW
1991 Beaumonts Pies, Geelong, VIC
1992 Barry’s Buns, North Ryde, NSW
1993 Sunrise Pies, Launceston, TAS
1994 Betabake Pies, Milperra. NSW
1995 Egons Cake Shop, Lower Templestowe, VIC
1996 Stanley’s Pastry & Cake Shop, Albany, WA
1997 Goldstein’s Bakery, Gold Coast, QLD
1998 Boscastle Pastry, Collingwood, VIC
1999 Aussie Treats, Cardiff, NSW
2000 Loftus Pies, Kirrawee, NSW
2001 Little Jack Horner's, Argenton, NSW.
2002 The Purple Onion Cafe, Heathmont, VIC
2003 Village Hot Bake/Early Rise Baking Co., Dubbo, NSW
2004 Rolling Pin Pie & Cake Shop, Ocean Grove, Vic
2005 Village Hot Bake/Early Rise Baking Co., Dubbo, NSW
2006 Merwans Pies, Langwarren, Vic.
2007 Trinity Heights Bakery, Kelso NSW
2008 Dough Fusion, Coolum, QLD
2009 Mick's Bakehouse, Wagga Wagga, NSW
2010 Mick's Bakehouse, Wagga Wagga, NSW
2011 St. Georges Bakehouse, Kensington, SA
2012 Mooroopna Bakery, VIC
2013 Bread Provisions, WA
2014 Mount Barker Country Bakehouse, WA

Overall Gourmet Pie Winners
1996 Cronulla Pie Shop, Sydney, NSW
1997 Loftus Pies, Kirrawee, NSW
1998 Elaine's Pie Stop, Mona Vale, Sydney, NSW
1999 Mick's Bakehouse, Leeton, NSW
2000 Mick's Bakehouse, Leeton, NSW
2001 Goldstein's Bakery, Gold Coast, QLD
2002 The Miami Bakehouse, Mandurah, WA
2003 The Upper Crust, Collaroy, NSW
2004 Bremen Patisserie, Umina, NSW & Goldsteins, Ashmore City, QLD, tied for first place
2005 Mick's Bakehouse, Wagga Wagga, NSW
2006 Mick's Bakehouse, Wagga Wagga, NSW
2007 Dough Fusion, Coolum Beach, QLD
2008 Mooroopna Bakery, Mooroopna, VIC
2009 La Bakehouse Cafe, Penrith, NSW
2010 Denmark Bakery, Denmark, WA
2011 Mick’s Bakehouse, Moorebank, NSW
2012 Brighton Bakery, WA
2013 Bremen Patisserie, NSW
2014 Mount Barker Country Bakehouse, WA

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
It always worries me why people enter their wares in a competition.
If you make a good pie, you sell out every day and people come back again and again.
Point in case is a Harry's Pie. It probably won't stand up to the judges critique, but they TASTE bloody great :) :) :)

If you make a shit pie, nobody will buy them and you become an ex piemaker. Easy.

And another thing, If you are displaying a sign that says "BEST PIE of 20??"
and that sign is over 1 year old, what did you do to fuck up the pie last year?

I have tried a pie from a couple of these places and to be truthful, they weren't what I would say were pies that I would ever consume again.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
If you make a good pie, you sell out every day and people come back again and again.

Point in case is a Harry's Pie. It probably won't stand up to the judges critique, but they TASTE bloody great :) :) :)

Amen to that and as a gristle chewer your opinion should be noted.

Love the peppery taste of Harry's pies. There's nothing like going to a day Super Rugby game at Allianz and stopping on the way at Woolloomooloo wharf for a late lunch.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Analogous to Test Rugby isn't it. You are only as good as your last performance, and a Bakery that baked a pie in 20xx for a competition that it subsequently won, only means that at that point in time, that particular pie was judged better than other pies entered in that competition.

A gong for the best pie does not guarantee that all pies from that Bakery are of the same standard or quality, nor does it mean that they can repeat that competition winning performance day to day, much less several years later with some staff changes in the pie making department.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
FFS anyone choosing mince over steak, please shoot yourselves.

I lived in Matraville for a while, and House Of Pie was the fucking ducks nuts as far as a good feed goes. Being open 24 hours a day it was excellent at that time in my life, as coming home from after-work drinks at 2AM still meant a pie was available to stave off the hangover.

Good variety being the key thing.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Isn't the whole idea of the meat pie being a means to use up the lips, ears, and arseholes left behind after the rib fillet? Especially as we seem to be feeding our dogs the good cuts these days.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
I never said that was a bad thing, did I? The art is making those lips, ears, and arseholes into something delicious.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
"lips, ears, and arseholes".

I think you have described quite a number of the Props I played against "Back in the Day".

Even after polishing off a slab of the finest KB (Kurtley Beale), or Reches Pils post match couldn't turn those buggers into anything delicious.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
Unique! You won't find that at Frederickton.
Now this actually brings to the fore my personal thoughts on a Pie and Pie Shop.
Should you do multiple flavours, sort of alright, ala a Fredo Pie shop with 67 flavours that all are average?
Or do you work the theory of maximum 5 flavours including maybe a chicken pie? The way that Harrys has derivations off the one base is appealing to me.
For me it works the latter with Plain, Mushroom, Steak and Onion, Curry and leave the rest to the seagulls.
And never give me a chicken pie. It is the australian version of a lentil burger :( :( :(
Thoughts?

T

Train Without a Station

What does Growden think. This is something I'd value his opinion on.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Now this actually brings to the fore my personal thoughts on a Pie and Pie Shop.
Should you do multiple flavours, sort of alright, ala a Fredo Pie shop with 67 flavours that all are average?
Or do you work the theory of maximum 5 flavours including maybe a chicken pie? The way that Harrys has derivations off the one base is appealing to me.
For me it works the latter with Plain, Mushroom, Steak and Onion, Curry and leave the rest to the seagulls.
And never give me a chicken pie. It is the australian version of a lentil burger :( :( :(
Thoughts?

Less is more; 5 flavours. One for each day of the working week.
Chicken is the lesser pie but still an important part of the rotation.
Steak trumps mince except when you are in the rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.