• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

PIES - Steak or Mince?

Pie preference

• Steak

Votes: 36 78.3%
  • Mince

Votes: 10 21.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
I would rather have a chicken and mushroom than a mince pie.
Mince pies are filled with the stuff they find when they clean the u-bend on the washing up sink.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
I would rather have a chicken and mushroom than a mince pie.
Mince pies are filled with the stuff they find when they clean the u-bend on the washing up sink.
Tend to agree with this.

I had a lovely pie at Toronto from The boulevarde Bakery. It would satisfy most as it had a little bit of mince and pieces of steak with a nice mild pepper gravy. The young lady that served me was very polite and helpful too. If you are stuck up in the backwood suburbs of Newcastle, it is worth the try

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Tend to agree with this.

I had a lovely pie at Toronto from The boulevarde Bakery. It would satisfy most as it had a little bit of mince and pieces of steak with a nice mild pepper gravy. The young lady that served me was very polite and helpful too. If you are stuck up in the backwood suburbs of Newcastle, it is worth the try

I started reading that and thought you were some sort of international jetsetting pie expert. Then I see that Toronto is in Newcastle. You built me up then pulled the rug from underneath my feet. You Sir, are a fraud.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
How came pie makers haven't been able to get rid of that congealed fatty gunk in chicken pies?
It looks like stuff found washed up on the beach at times.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Question - should it be called a pie when the only pastry is the lid on what is basically a casserole underneath, or by definition should a pie be fully encased in pastry?

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Question - should it be called a pie when the only pastry is the lid on what is basically a casserole underneath, or by definition should a pie be fully encased in pastry?

Maybe I am a bit more liberally minded than you, or more forgiving, but I am happy to call something in a dish with pastry on top a pie.
You then avoid that soggy bottom crust that can be unpleasant at times.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A pie without a top is called a Quiche (pronounced Kweechie).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/FF (Folau Fainga'a)/Quichereilawjd.gif

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
I started reading that and thought you were some sort of international jetsetting pie expert. Then I see that Toronto is in Newcastle. You built me up then pulled the rug from underneath my feet. You Sir, are a fraud.
Why thank you Lady Baldric!!! My work is now done.
If perchance your life hangs on my pie devouring exploits, I would tend to regard this as somewhat of, what the kiddies refer to as a First world problem. :) :):)

I take the compliment with the highest regard
Bon apetit

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Why thank you Lady Baldric!!! My work is now done.
If perchance your life hangs on my pie devouring exploits, I would tend to regard this as somewhat of, what the kiddies refer to as a First world problem. :) :):)

I take the compliment with the highest regard
Bon apetit

You might find that I am no Lady!
May you never be a gristlechewer when munching on a pie.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
Never doubting you Sir. It is from the second series of blackadder if you recall.
All the best to you as well in your transfat gastronomic journey.

And if I ever get the peasure of a Moose pie in Toronto Canada, I will gladly let all the bloggers on this thread know! Except for Hugh. He has eaten enough pies already

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
... and we think that the ARU is sub-optimal?

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/offbeat/2014/12/20/world-pie-eating-champs-abandoned.html

The World Pie Eating Championships have been declared null and void after an intern sent the pies to a divorce party instead, reports say.
While the divorce bash got the competition-sized pies, the world championships venue - a pub in Wigan, northwest England - received meat and potato pies twice the regulation diameter.
The competition pies should be 12cm wide by 3.5cm deep and have a 66 per cent meat content.
But the cache of pies sent to Harry's Bar on Thursday were 24cm wide, meaning competitors had more on their plate than they bargained for.
'The work experience lad was tasked with providing 24 competition pies, but mixed up the order and sent them to a divorce party up the road. By the time we realised, it was too late,' said the pub's owner Tony Callaghan.
'We had to go ahead ... but everyone took it in their stride and demonstrated the professionalism of pie-eating at this level,' the BBC quoted him as saying.
Former champion Barry Rigby, a 37-year-old fitness instructor from Wigan, set the best time of 42.6 seconds for eating half of one of the oversized pies.
But in the end the 22nd annual championships had to be abandoned because of the size blunder.
'It was a shame, because these lads practise long and often. You can see how seriously they take it, practising pie-eating late into the night on every street corner in Wigan town centre,' said Callaghan.
The competition began in 1992 and the eat-off always starts at midday, or 'Pie Noon'.
Wigan prides itself as being the home of the pie with its inhabitants known as 'pie eaters', although the name is thought to originate from the 1926 general strike when miners were starved back to work and forced to eat 'humble pie'.
- See more at: http://www.skynews.com.au/news/offb...ng-champs-abandoned.html#sthash.4K8rUUqn.dpuf

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
@Yourmatesam, What's wrong with the offerings from Micks Bakehouse?
They've won a few gongs, for both plain meat and gourmet pies?
http://www.greataussiepiecomp.com.au/roll_of_honour.htm
I wouldn't say that there's anything wrong with the offerings at Mick's Bakehouse, just that I reckon the pepper steak pie at Morgan Street is hard to go past.

I'll try them this week and get back to you mate. I've already been to Morgan St this week...

My fucking mouth is watering. Just need @lindommer to recommend some vino to go with the pie!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Tell him to hang around the Shore grounds at Northbridge. Better still, bail up one the resident Mosman matrons and ask her where the Shore canteen staff purchase their pies.

Status
Not open for further replies.