• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Player Pathway to Gold and Rugby delivery system in Aus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
Hey guys! I'm currently doing an essay on the sports delievery system in Australia, and how it helped a prominent athlete reach their full potential in their given sport. I'm using George Gregan as an example, but as I'm sure you are all aware, the "Pathway to Gold" model has changed significantly since George's playing days in the early 90's. The ARU website, and the internet in general is not proving useful for providing some sort of framework on the development model used back then.

Does anyone have any idea what the the rough framework was? Particularly because in 1994, the game was still amateur, the Brumbies didn't quite exist yet, as the Kookaburras were the Canberra team but didn't compete in Super Rugby.

Cheers!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Do you mean from junior under age rugby to becoming a wallaby or do you mean how and adult got picked?
If you posted your message in the Decline of Sydney Junior rugby thread - although its off topic - you would get many knowledgeable responses.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I suspect Old Mate is after a document (if one exists) that described the Pathway to Gold in 1994, that he can compare with todays Goattrack to Gold.

Failing the existence of such document, @TomAndo is looking for some recollections of how "cream rose to the top" in 1994 - Club/School to Colts to Grade and representative/development opportunities along the way.

How formal was the 1994 goat track to gold? Was it documented anywhere or entirely at the whim of the Gin'n'Tonicers?
Was the ARU selection and development based on Wicks talent spotting and recruiting into Shute Shield? <sarcasm>
How important were last centuries School Association competitions, U18 Schoolboys Competitions, Aust Schoolboy Selections, and QLD/NSW State Championships?

You may find something useful here @TomAndo, especially in the reference list (Page 13 on).
http://sydney.edu.au/education_soci...ysh/hmhce/resources/HMHCE_Article_01_2013.pdf

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I am old enough to remember the days when the annual CHS vs GPS games were important, in NSW.

T

Train Without a Station

Tom I recommend reading the early chapters of Gregan's book "Halfback Half Forward". From memory he talks of his early days and time at the AIS too.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
I suspect Old Mate is after a document (if one exists) that described the Pathway to Gold in 1994, that he can compare with todays Goattrack to Gold.

Failing the existence of such document, @TomAndo is looking for some recollections of how "cream rose to the top" in 1994 - Club/School to Colts to Grade and representative/development opportunities along the way.

How formal was the 1994 goat track to gold? Was it documented anywhere or entirely at the whim of the Gin'n'Tonicers?
Was the ARU selection and development based on Wicks talent spotting and recruiting into Shute Shield? <sarcasm>
How important were last centuries School Association competitions, U18 Schoolboys Competitions, Aust Schoolboy Selections, and QLD/NSW State Championships?

You may find something useful here @TomAndo, especially in the reference list (Page 13 on).
http://sydney.edu.au/education_soci...ysh/hmhce/resources/HMHCE_Article_01_2013.pdf

Exactly mate that's what I'm looking for. A document would be ideal but not necessary. Just if someone could fill me in from the junior club level to the representative opportunities etc etc. Gregan talks about in his autobiography playing in the Australian Under 17's championships in Darwin. Where abouts did this fit in the development model of Australian Rugby? What teams did you have to play in to have the opportunities to play in this championship? Was their an under 17's Australian team chosen for this etc etc.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
Tom I recommend reading the early chapters of Gregan's book "Halfback Half Forward". From memory he talks of his early days and time at the AIS too.

I have finished reading the book actually mate, it was a requirement of the assessment! It has definitely helped in that regard, but the pathway he chose doesn't particularly represent the bigger picture. Our own Bob Dwyer saw him at a 7's tournament which led to his selection in the HK 7's (with consultation with the head coach of the Rugby Union program at the AIS) . It's a slightly unorthodox "Pathway to Gold"

Also thank you for the link @hugejarse !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.