• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Player Watch-Foriegn Marquees that your team needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Thought it's not such a bad idea to review some players that would be suitable/ a good fit/ available soon to join Australian Super Rugby franchises. After such successes as Jacques Potgieter, Steve Mafi and Fotu Auelua, as well as the flops of Danny Cipriani, Dylin Lleyds, etc. it's interesting to Discuss who'd sink and swim in the high tempo of Super Rugby.
To start,
  • Manu Tuilagi's International career is seemingly over and there aren't many backlines thatwould turn him away. In fact I wouldn't argue with us signing any of the Tuilagis since they seemingly crap brimstone.
  • Would be interesting to see lumbering dopes such as Opeti Fonua or Edwin Maka try their massive paws in the Aussie conference, and If we could coach some sense into their gargantuan heads.
  • Richie Gray has always interested me, but our Lock options at the moment are seemingly strong.
In any case, I think the Australian Super rugby could benefit well from some handy recruiting in the foriegn marquee department, rather than South African outcasts and token Budget Japanese players here for the experence

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
After such successes as Jacques Potgieter, Steve Mafi and Fotu Auelua,

Fotu wasn't a foreign marquee player, he was Australian qualified (grew up in Campbelltown & played Aus Schoolboys according to Wiki). I seem to recall he was on the verge of getting a Wallabies call up a few years back before injuries struck.

Ruaidhri Murphy was the Brumbies "marquee" player.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Fotu wasn't a foreign marquee player, he was Australian qualified (grew up in Campbelltown & played Aus Schoolboys according to Wiki). I seem to recall he was on the verge of getting a Wallabies call up a few years back before injuries struck.

Ruaidhri Murphy was the Brumbies "marquee" player.

I stand corrected, I always thought the reason he never got a Wallabies cap was because of his nationality...

Shelby Trappey

Frank Row (1)
I am quite excited by the Goromaru signing especially since it appear at least on the face of things that he might get a real chance to start! Unlike many of the Japanese super rugby players running around in Australian squads for what appears to be mostly training purposes. However, one Japanese player that I really liked watching the World Cup was Amanaki Mafi. A big powerful back-rower with a deadly fend. I'd love to see him in an Australian Super rugby side because I think his inclusion would really benefit any of our teams; as well as helping him develop into a top class test player for Japan!

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'd like to be upbeat about it, but a 28 year old non english speaking fullback who has never played outside of Japan being Coached by one of the biggest flops in history... not a great recipe in my mind

T

TOCC

Goromaru's signing is definitely a positive, not so much for the Sunwolves, but that speaks volumes of the administration of that team. Goromaru is a quality player as proven at the Rugby World Cup, additionally for the Reds and Australian Super Rugby teams it could potentially give them a massive marketing boost in the Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.