• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Playing rugby this year? POST HERE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yes, note well the icon for this thread :) Well, I found it appropriate. ;D

I'm lacing up the boots again for the Renegades this year, and as I'm already at last year's playing weight decided it would be good to set a goal for myself: to become starting front rower for Second Grade this year.

So it was that the mighty Rouse Hill Renegades kicked off their pre-season trial with a return match against the Ourimbah Razorbacks (they hosted us last year). Was a generally good game all things considered though they did us 3 tries to 1 with superior pace and fitness. As the Razorbacks turned up with only the one team (we were expecting 2) we decided to cut it from 2 grades to 1 for a full 80 minute game, and though we had the advantage with numbers, they were generally younger than us. That said, we did take the tap at every opportunity bar 1 because hey, it was a trial and from my point of view that was good: I need to run my fat arse around at every opportunity to get into some kind of shape. :)

The ground was generously opened by the Riverstone Razorbacks Rugby League club and despite looking pristine was wet as an otter's pocket under the surface. Drainage is not a strong point of the ground, but she was plenty soft.

I played the first quarter and then came back for minutes 60-70 locking on the loosehead side and was made to look good by the awesomely large Islander prop who recently departed Parramatta lower grades. I'd like to think I helped a bit. ;) Had a couple of involvements on the ball including bringing down their openside flanker before getting up almost immediately to try and tackle their number 8 and failing as he ran right over me. I hit him around the hips but was too tired (from being unfit) to bring him down. I managed to clean up a kickoff before being swamped and at a subsequent ruck rolled away only to have someone land on my outstretched arm in an accidental attempt to bend my elbow the wrong way. That hurt a bit, but its pulling up nicely thanks for asking ;) Other than that I cleaned up a few balls on the deck for the backs to use and clattered into the rucks like a good donkey.

Overall it was great to get back out onto the park and run around for a bit, even if it did demonstrate beyond all doubt that riding your bike to work is small preparation for the type of continual strength + aerobic fitness I need if I want to make a starting spot for either grade. Back to the gym I think!

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Love the account NTA.

Someone is going to have to film you in action and post it so we can all give some constructive criticism and perhaps compare you to a few of our favourite players. I'm picturing the size and fitness of Blake, the workrate of Sharpe, the discipline of Sheehan, the handling of Ione, the decision making skills of Dunning and the post match antics of Lote.

Not that I can talk. I am currently sitting here at work counting every single bruise, niggle, strain, rupture, cut, graze etc that I picked up on Saturday. After living what was essentially a life of luxery for over 12 months I thought it was time to harden the fuck up and start playing rugby again. I found a side that advertised itself by saying it was a club for people that don?t have time to train but enjoy getting out on weekends and running around, belting a few blokes and then going to the pub to talk about it afterwards. Sounded perfect. Then they started talking about rugby tours to Sardinia, Canada, Stockholm and Prague and I was even more hooked.

So I played one game in December, 14 months after winning a 3rd successive subbies premiership. In that time the closest I had come to physical activity was jumping fences to get into sporting events or running from cops after being spotted. While I was previously the biggest and slowest winger in subbies before I left, a further 8kgs had been added to the frame so when I turned up and said I was normally a fullback but could play anywhere in the backs they just laughed and gave me the number 6 jersey.

60 minutes later I was being subbed off a broken shell of a man. The dodgy shoulder was even more dodgy, the always tight hammy had become at least a grade 3 tear, the lip made the guy from forrest gump look good and the borrowed boots had left the feet to be red balls of puss. But after a few pints of bitter (there was no way they were going to let me have a lager) I was saying how much I enjoyed it and couldn?t wait for another run with the lads.

Because I then went back home to Oz for a month I was only able to play my 2nd game a few weeks ago. This time it was for the 2nd grade side of the club realising that the 1st grade was a level slightly too high given my current fitness levels. This time I came on at halftime, again in the back row and scored a try as we ran out 50 point winners. Because the 2nd grade side didn?t have a game this weekend and the 3rd grade side were short of numbers in the backs I threw up my hand to have a run with them.

I have to admit the standard wasn?t the highest but gee, IMHO I was a clear cut stand out for man of the match. 2 tries, final pass to 4 others and created a further 2. So despite not being able to move my right arm, having a pretty damn sore cork thigh and a mouth ulcer thanks to a cut lip (I really should get a mouthguard) I havent been able to stop smiling since Saturday.

I also want to comment on how bad the rugby setup over here is. There is no club based system like we have where 4th grade plays before 3rd grade before 2nd grade etc. Pretty much all games kick off at the one time with first grade playing at home, 2nd grade playing away etc. They do this because every grade is in a different comp playing different teams. They say it leads to more competitive rugby but its shocking. It makes it impossible to build any club atmosphere, you don?t get to watch your mates run around and have a laugh at their expense, it means you have 3 people watching you play and maybe one dog or one girlfriend sitting nearby reading a book. It just takes away so much from what social rugby is all about.

The guys that run the 3rd grade side have signed me up for a tour to Sardinia in April and want me to play out the season with them. With a halfback number 8 combo havng a combined age of 107 I think I may have finally found a level or rugby which suits me. :thumb

T

Turban

thanks for making me feel guilty. I haven't even been down to my club yet!

With my fitness the way it is i'll prob need at least a month before i can play a full game. But as i play 3rd's i'll prob be expected to as i'm only 85kg dripping wet wearing army boots. But thats not a symptom of good health, trust me we just bought a deep fryer a few weeks ago and i haven't moved a muscle since my gym membership expired about 1 month after the end of last season.

I did however play some touch yesterday with some mates. Out of the ten of us i managed to get the 5 ppl who had played rugby before on my team. 5 or 6 unsuccessful flic passes later and we were eating dirt. Losing to 4 soccer players and a fat guy who somehow put a hatrick on us. I blame the beer, none of the poofballers were drinking. I did do something i've never done on a footy field before thou (backs, no laughing please), i sold a dummy inside and went thru drew the wing and thru a lovely pass to our winger on the outside! It was poetry in motion, thou i did hear someone yell touchpass but i pretended like i didn't know what they were talking about. They don't even play rugby. ;)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
the gambler said:
Someone is going to have to film you in action and post it so we can all give some constructive criticism and perhaps compare you to a few of our favourite players.

My try (I'm in the number 5 jersey): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SLwi2agBGc

My typical form (number 5 again - pick n go n get smashed): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAt0lDwD6Nk

I'm picturing the size and fitness of Blake, the workrate of Sharpe, the discipline of Sheehan, the handling of Ione, the decision making skills of Dunning and the post match antics of Lote.

Well, I'm a bit shorter than Blake :)

H

hatchie

I'm yet to wander down to preseason training but wanted to know to what extend (if any) community rugby will have to do with the ELVs. I can't find any press release from the WARU concerning this. Turban, do you know? How about you east coasters?

I'm sure it'll upset a lot of the old fatties if they bring some of these rules in....

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
There were rumours we'd get them this year, but we're not using any of the ELVs according to the coach.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Training tonight - my fitness (i.e. lack thereof) is becoming dangerous; spirit willing, flesh weak and all that. We were doing a 4-man cleanout drill and I hit the bag the wrong way as ball carrier because I was too bloody tired to think straight, and twisted my neck. Feels a bit like a concussion with the wobbly eyesight and spinning head but probably more due to the fact I'm not sleeping that much. Still, with this regime my fitness should definitely increase though I think I'm going to have to force myself into the gym twice a week for a high-intensity cardio+weights circuit.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Just saw the first round draw - away to Bankstown! Jeez they were our closest rivals last year and they're tough at home...

Besides that, Fairvale have dropped down to 5th Div in yet another growing sign that suburban rugby is getting squeezed west of the M3.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
NTA said:
Just saw the first round draw - away to Bankstown! Jeez they were our closest rivals last year and they're tough at home...

Besides that, Fairvale have dropped down to 5th Div in yet another growing sign that suburban rugby is getting squeezed west of the M3.

Fairvale weren't as good as Bankstown when we (Mac U) played against both of them in Div 4 a couple of years ago - they were good at scrummaging though. Bankstown aren't as strong early in the year as they seemed to get a lot of guys who failed to 'make the cut' in league. Good luck with the season Nick. How are the Renegades' numbers looking this year?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Hard to tell Aussie D - we've been getting around 20 to training every week in the pre-season, and a fair few new blokes too. The trial yesterday was against Liverpool and they were keen to field 3 grades so I'll be interested to see what happened there as far as numbers go (I would have gone but I'm on call for work this week - no more on call until August thank fuck).

We're not going to be short of front rowers judging by the size of some of the huas turning up for training. Looks like 2nd Grade at least will be fielding the same tight 5 style as last year: minimum 120kg, maximum 180cm :) Beanpole flankers and massive number 8 while we're at it. Got beaten in very few scrums last year and most likely to continue the run this year. I'll have to fight to get a prop or hooker spot, that is for sure.

T

Turban

hatchie said:
I'm yet to wander down to preseason training but wanted to know to what extend (if any) community rugby will have to do with the ELVs. I can't find any press release from the WARU concerning this. Turban, do you know? How about you east coasters?

I'm sure it'll upset a lot of the old fatties if they bring some of these rules in....

I still havent been down. Shit season has probably started! Last season we were told that all the ELV's would be trialled at club level. I remember it clearly because the guy who was telling me about it made a point of telling me how much more fun I was going to have with hands allowed in rucks and he was probably right. Better get my ass in gear and wander down this week!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Season starts this weekend, and BIG news in 5th Division: Bankstown, possibly the only team to give our First Grade side anything resembling a contest in 2007, have dropped down to 6th Div! Rumour has it they were looking for promotion to 4th Division to get away from us, but realised they'd never get the numbers for away games.

Now our competitors are:

Fairvale (down from 4th Div)
Lane Cove (5th Div last year but got us in neither grade)
Norwest (5th Div last year and beat us in Seconds one time)
Notre Dame (new to Subbies)
Oakhill (5th Div last year and beat us in Seconds twice)
Roseville (up from 6th Division)
Sydney Harlequins (down from 4th Division, where they won 3rd Grade)

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
NTA said:
Season starts this weekend, and BIG news in 5th Division: Bankstown, possibly the only team to give our First Grade side anything resembling a contest in 2007, have dropped down to 6th Div! Rumour has it they were looking for promotion to 4th Division to get away from us, but realised they'd never get the numbers for away games.

Now our competitors are:

Fairvale (down from 4th Div)
Lane Cove (5th Div last year but got us in neither grade)
Norwest (5th Div last year and beat us in Seconds one time)
Notre Dame (new to Subbies)
Oakhill (5th Div last year and beat us in Seconds twice)
Roseville (up from 6th Division)
Sydney Harlequins (down from 4th Division, where they won 3rd Grade)

Last year I played for Mac U Harlequins were coached by Tony Daly and were very well drilled in tight forward play, not sure if he is still coaching there.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We'll be of a similar mind as far as forward play goes - keep it simple; go forward before you go wide etc.

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
My typical form (number 5 again - pick n go n get smashed)

Body height Nick! It's terrible....fix it, or continue to get smashed. ;)

Mate, at least you are still capable and allowed to play. I miss playing so much. :'(

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
This is lame, because I did it at touch rugby.

What's that long tendon that runs along the sole of your foot? Because I've fucked mine nicely. Crutches.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Scarfman said:
This is lame, because I did it at touch rugby.

What's that long tendon that runs along the sole of your foot? Because I've fucked mine nicely. Crutches.

Plantar?

The ground's drying up here, so we spent most of last night's session working on getting it wide. To that end, we were happily playing touch at the end, when the backs coach got upset over forwards picking and going through the gaps and burning his little dears (burnt a winger twice myself ;D) and instituted a "if you don't get two passes in before being tagged, turnover" rule.

By Christ, was it boring. The backs loved it, just running around the place, throwing idiot passes. But the forwards, after about ten minutes, got bored to buggery. It was the lack of mixing it up that did my head in. Genuinely, if there were ELVs trialled here like that to the detriment of happy, snarling, in-close evil-doing, I'd quit a year early.

Back on the weights over the last month, and quietly pleased with the quick gains. Benching four sets, ten reps, bodyweight plus ten kg at the moment.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Scarfie, your injury might be called plantar fasciitis. If it is, you've got to use lots of cold compression, stand on ice bricks or whatever. I had a dose of this last year and a medico mate of mine recommended cold treatment and rolling the sole of the foot heavily on a Coke bottle (the classic shape) a few times a day. It worked.

Check PF out on Google to ensure that's what you've got.

PS. How're going to get down to Leura Cellars? Crawl?

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
NTA said:
Red Bull said:
Body height Nick! It's terrible....fix it, or continue to get smashed. ;)

:) In fairness the bloke was a lot shorter than me so it looks worse than it is ;) This is better stuff - I'm the first pick n go from the ruck:

until you own up to your shortcomings, you can't fix them. :p Yeah, that clip was better, good leg drive too. Surely you didn't end up scoring the try as well, did you? If you did.....that's very impressive. If not, well....you fucking well should have! :thumb

Status
Not open for further replies.