• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

political Donations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
From: http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/where-does-get-up-get-off/

I haven't seen any comment on here about the legislation passed in the NSW parliament last week regarding political donations. I know this is Bronwyn Bishop I am quoting but take a step back from shooting the messenger and just think about what she is actually saying. Along with internet censorship, NBN and threats to TV stations is anyone else worried about the direction Labour is taking? It seems to be going down a rather worrying path to totalitarianism.

NSW Labor, long the recipient of donations for decisions suddenly thinks only 3rd parties should be allowed to spend large amounts of money on election campaigns, but under their scheme unions as well as left wing fellow travellers such as Get Up are deemed to be 3rd parties.

Under NSW Labor it means allowing your union affiliates to spend $1 million dollars each, including $20,000 in each electorate to influence voters.

NSW has 22 affiliated unions, so there’s a war chest of over $22 million for Labor for starters plus all the ‘help’ we now have documented as coming from Get Up.

Any thoughts?

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
In part that is the venal actions that is the corpse of NSW Labor. As they realise thay are gone they are getting stuff done that does reek. also there is the Green's role in this bill as well. It is about power for the sake of power. Hopefully legislation like this will be changed once there is a change of government next year. If that happens.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The donations to Labor needs to be vetted, no matter what the source. Labor already has a track record for trying to hide behind donations to Unions - the Greens have caught them out on this before.

Don't rely on Liberals doing anything to political donations, though.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
No the Libs aren't likely to do anything about political donations, however they are also unlikely to come out and say 'union donations over 1,000 must be declared, but business donations don't have to be'. This is essentially what Labor is doing the other way around. Shocking.

Labor are abusing their power to try and skew the game in their favour, and as Aussie D says, their (at least some of their factions) attitude is 'we know what is best for everyone, and we will control the political spectrum and the lives of the general public so it ends up this way' is very worrying.

Opening up the curtains and letting the light shine is the very opposite of what they are currently doing.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Oh and on Get Up! What a hypocritical bunch of tossers they are! Campaigning for openess in political donations and then taking sums of $1M from unions. Unions!

Fuck me. Unions paid them to attack Tony Abbott on a statement he said 20 years ago in relation to women.

If I was a union member I would be extremely angry at when my union fees get utilised for this sort of thing.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Paul Sheehan wrote a pretty scathing article about this a few weeks ago. It really is terrible, bare-faced politics of the worst kind, masqueraded as much-needed progress for the electoral system in NSW. I can't wait to kick these guys out, this just confirms what thugs NSW Labor have become.

N

noahil

I think that political donations should always be made public, so that everyone can see the records, I think it's important to identify possible conflicts of interests.

Status
Not open for further replies.