• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Potential upsets at this years WC - year of the minnow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Im really excited about this world cup as I believe there is possibly going to be some huge upsets. Im not talking about a Samoa beating Wales/South Africa (although they would be considered upsets) . My potential pick for the biggest upset in world cup history will be when Georgia take on Scotland. All things are pointing to it. They both play similar styles of rugby. Georgia have a monstrous forward pack - not such strong backline , but neither do Scotland. Scotland have to back up 4 days later to take on Georgia (its their first game) . Georgia have john muggleton and Sean Fitzpatrick in their coaching ranks as well as a scottish coach who knows the scottish game inside out probably. Add to that , an Irish referee and you have a recipe for potentially the biggest upset in world cup history. Anyone here remember the Georgia v Ireland match from the 2007 world cup ?They were a video referee decision away from winning that game.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Fiji or Samoa to beat Wales.

Anyone know a site that has information on the Georgian players? Where they play etc.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Games I think might produce upsets, or near upsets.

Japan vs France: Japan might push a few sides, and will probably finish 3rd in this group.

Georgia vs Scotland/Argentina: The georgians play a similar style to these two, and if they can get the upper hand in the forwards who knows what'll happen.

Italy vs Ireland: I think the Italians have the potential to destroy the Irish in the forwards, not to mention that Ireland have lost all their warm-up games, so they aren't going in with good form.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
They are spread throughout the European tournaments. Alot of them play in the French Top 14 with the remainder coming from their local competitions.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Fiji or Tonga to beat Wales.

Anyone know a site that has information on the Georgian players? Where they play etc.
From PR:

lelopride said:
Credit to Beber from Fira forum. No Federale 1 though where most of our players play in France.

Georgian players who plays in France; Top14 , ProD2 and Espoirs U23
2011-2012 season

Loosehead Prop (1) :
Davit Khinchagishili (CA Brive Correze)
Vasil Kakovin (CA Brive Correze)
Goderzi Shvelidze (Montpellier HRC)

Mamuka Magrakvelidze (Tarbes PR XV)
Irakli Mirtskhulava (Tarbes PR XV)
Karlen Asieshvili (Stade Aurillacois)
Zero Petriashvili (Section Paloise)

Zurab Zhvania (Stade Français)
Giorgi Jashitashvili (ASM Clermont Auvergne)

Hookers (2) :
Irakli Natriashvili (CA Brive Correze)
Mikheil Nariashvili (Montpellier HRC)

Tighthead Prop (3) :
Davit Zirakashvili (ASM Clermont Auvergne)
Davit Kubriashvili (RC Toulon)
Giorgi Jgenti (Montpellier HRC)
Anton Peikrishvili (Castres Olympique)
Beka Sheklashvili (SU Agen)
Tariel Ratianidze (Lyon OU)

Guram Kavtidze (Lyon OU)
Giorgi Natsarashvili (Stade Aurillacois)
Giorgi Menabdishvili (FC Grenoble)

Levan Chilichava (RC Toulon)

Lock (4-5)
Levan Datunashvili (Stade Aurillacois)
Konstantin Mikautadze (RC Toulon)

Flanker (6-7)
Giorgi Chkhaidze (Montpellier HRC)
Vito Kolelishvili (ASM Clermont Auvergne)

Number Eight 8
Mamuka Gorgodze (Montpellier HRC)

Centre (12-13) :
Tedo Zibzibadze (CA Périgueux)
David Losaberidze (Section Paloise)
Giorgi Jimsheladze (ASM Clermont Auvergne)

Wing (11-14) :
Saba Labadze (RC Toulon)

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Some of my favourite games have been the minnow matches. Fji V US 2003. Samoa V Wales 1991. Samoa V SA 2003 Fiji V France 2007. Uraguay V Romania. Great Rugby and I'm looking forward to these games as much as the Wallaby matches yet again.

Tonga vs South Africa in 2007 is one that sticks out for me, brilliant game. The islander sides tend to provide the excitments and upsets. Fiji vs Wales and South Africa in 2007 were great matches aswell.

Buying IQ so I don't miss any matches like that.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Georgia will cause some pain. The backs are never much but some of their forwards are amazing.
I think they could be a chance against Argentina as well who are not looking nearly as good as they did 4 years ago. That won't be an easy group.
Ireland with all those injuries mounting might face a headache from Italy.
I think one of Japan, Canada and Tonga will be lining up against a 2nd french XV and give them a run.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
How come their squad doesn't have a scrum-half or fly half and only one person covering the back 3. Their forwards may be strong but they will certainly be shown up in the backs.

D

daz

Wallabies to beat the Darkness in the final.

I think that ticks all the boxes. It has potential, it would be at this years RWC, and it would be an upset.

:)

A

antipodean

Wallabies to beat the Darkness in the final.

I think that ticks all the boxes. It has potential, it would be at this years RWC, and it would be an upset.

Both sides have to get there first. How many people put money on a South Africa vs England final in 2007?

Japan are improving, Pool D is the pool of death.

I'd hope some minnows cause 'upsets' - it would do wonders for the health of the game.

D

daz

Both sides have to get there first.

You have no idea how many times I was touching wood (no, not that kind of wood. My desk. Really!) while I was writing that post.

For my team, you understand, not yours so much...

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
How come their squad doesn't have a scrum-half or fly half and only one person covering the back 3. Their forwards may be strong but they will certainly be shown up in the backs.

That wasn't the Georgan squad, rather a list of their players appearing in France if I read correctly.

They can produce a prop, the Georgans.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
France to knock over NZ in the pool match. Sounds a bit odd but we are talking about the French.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
That wasn't the Georgan squad, rather a list of their players appearing in France if I read correctly.

They can produce a prop, the Georgans.

Yep. Their RWC squad:

Georgian national team for 2011 World Cup:

Goderdzi Svelidze (Montpellier France), Davit Khinchagashvili (Brive France), Vasil Kakovin, (Brive France), Avksenti Giorgadze (Castres, France), Jaba Bregvadze (Army, Tbilisi), Davit Zirakashvili (Clermont, France), Davit Kubriashvili (Toulons, France), Viktor Kolelishvili (Clermont, France), Dimitri Basilaia (Aubenas, France), Giorgi Chkhaidze (Montpellier, France), Givi Berishvili (Lokomotivi, Tbilisi), Mamuka Gorgodze (Montpellier, France), Shalva Sutiashvili (Massy, France), Ilia Zedginidze (Carcassone, France), Vakhtang Maisuradze (San Nasar, France), Giorgi Nemsadze (Montoban, France), Levan Datunashvili (Aurillac, France), Irakli Abuseridze (Auxerre, France), Bidzina Samkharadze (Army, Tbilisi), Malkhaz Urjukashvili (Gourdonne, France), Lekso Gugava (Lelo, Tbilisi), Lasha Khmaladze (Lelo, Tbilisi), Lasha Malaghuridze (Beziers, France), Merab Kvirikashvili (Figeac, France), Revaz Gigauri (Figeac, France), Aleksandre Todua (Lelo, Tbilisi), Irakli Cjkhikvadze (AIA, Kutaisi), Irakli Machkhaneli (Macon, France), Davit Kacharava (Nice, France), Tedore Zibzibadze (Perigueux, France).

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Japan are improving, Pool D is the pool of death.

I'd hope some minnows cause 'upsets' - it would do wonders for the health of the game.

Japan are improving and so are the Canucks, judging by what I saw from the BaaBaas game. The Japan v Canada game will be one to watch.

Agree about Pool D. Just realised that I will be in Hamilton for the Wales v Samoa game - I'll get tickets for that one.

Good results from the minnows will be great for promoting the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.