• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pre-season Match: Clan v CruSadists, 11 Feb 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's on!

image.jpeg

This is Fred:

image.jpeg

And this is his park:

image.jpeg

And, sorry, but it's sold out & you can't even sneak in by buying a ticket to the Southern Field Days across the road.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...u-paddock-fit-and-ready-for-Super-Rugby-stars

Gonna be an epic occasion, wish I could be there..........

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Love the idea of making fields in a farmers paddock for preseason matches, the Canes one that is played at Mangataioka has always been really successful ( mind you it just down road from Tui brewery), so lets hope they keep up with these ideas.
Old Fred Booth looks pretty happy doesn't he!

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Love the idea of making fields in a farmers paddock for preseason matches, the Canes one that is played at Mangataioka has always been really successful ( mind you it just down road from Tui brewery), so lets hope they keep up with these ideas.
Old Fred Booth looks pretty happy doesn't he!
I drove through Mangataioka last week and thought the name seemed vaguely familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it. It was the same day that the TPPA was being signed in Auckland and as I drove through Eketahuna on my way south a report came on the radio news that protesters were apparently sitting on motorway off-ramps. The protesters were active in Eketahuna as well and I estimate that up to four were standing roadside in the town centre waving a placard.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fred Booth Park was indeed packed out:

image.jpeg

6,700 including mein host Fred:

image.jpeg

They played for this stunning trophy:

image.jpeg

But Rugby was the winner on the day, a late CruSadists try snatching a 19-19 draw.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...n-draw-against-highlanders-at-fred-booth-park

They're already talking about doing it again in two years (Southern Field Days are biennial, apparently). I'm kinda hoping the District & Regional Councils make it happen next year: this is grass roots- meets pro-rugby at its best & we need more of it.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Crusaders (1-15): Tim Perry, Ben Funnell, Michael Ala'alatoa, Mitchell Dunshea, Luke Romano, Pete Samu, Jed Brown, Jordan Taufua (c), Bryn Hall, Richie Mo’unga, George Bridge, David Havili, Jack Goodhue, Manasa Mataele, Marty McKenzie.
Reserves: Forwards: Nathan Vella, Andrew Makalio, Oliver Jager, Chris Gawler, Samu Tawake, Quinten Strange, Pari Pari Parkinson, Tom Christie, Whetu Douglas, Leon Fukofuka, Ereatara Enari. Backs: Mitchell Hunt, Sione Fifita, Tim Bateman, Seta Tamanivalu, Sean Wainui, Inga Finau.

Highlanders (1-15): Craig Millar, Adrian Smith, Guy Millar, Jackson Hemopo, Tom Franklin, Gareth Evans, James Lentjes, Luke Whitelock, Kayne Hammington, Fletcher Smith, Tevita Li, Rob Thompson, Sio Tomkinso, Fa’asiu Fuatai, Jason Emery.
Reserves: Forwards: Greg Pleasants-Tate, Aki Seiuli, Daniel Lienert-Brown, Siate Tokolahi, Alex Ainley, Josh Dickson, Adam Knight, Dillon Hunt. Backs: Josh Renton, Marty Banks, Teihorangi Walden, Matt Faddes, Jonah Nareki

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
CruSadistts can now put the Farmlands Cup where the Super Rugby trophy used to go:

Crusaders 50 (Manasa Mataele, George Bridge, Jack Goodhue, Bryn Hall, Seta Tamanivalu, Tim Bateman, Sean Wainui, Pari Pari Parkinson tries; Richie Mo'unga 3 con, Mitchell Hunt 2 con) Highlanders 33 (Kayne Hammington, Tom Franklin, Tei Walden, Matt Faddes, Adrian Smith tries; Fletcher Smith 2 con, Marty Banks 2 con). HT: 26-14

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...od-for-highlanders-in-trial-game-winning-5033

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Looking at that Sadists backline WOB, I not sure they will be as far off the pace as some have hinted at this year, Mounga is a pretty good 10, Crotty, Bateman, Tamanivalu and Goodhue are more than journeyman midfield players, so if wings etc go alright we know bloody well they will have a good pack!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ depends on how often Shag lets Razor pick 'em plus how soon & how we'll Read comes back from his surgery (Taufua's a decent stand in but after that it starts to get a bit thin at 8) but, yes, potentially the best pack in the conference if not the comp & hopefully Crotty & Tamanivalu are the answer to our recurring midfield woes.

Status
Not open for further replies.