• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pre-season trial : Brumbies v Force, Canberra 9 Feb (Updated)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Strong performance by Valetini in both attack and defence with good workrate too. Rennie's words must be having an effect.

Banks looking sharper than at any time last year.

Brown was everywhere in defence; made a motza of tackles and some good metres in tight with the ball. Same for Samu.

Ikitau the pick of the backs along with Banks.

FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) should be in the Wallabies squad later this year.

Prior and Cubelli both had good games; probably shaded the Brumbies trio.

Of the Brumbies' reserves, Harry Lloyd again showed how strong he is at scrum time and in the rolling maul. Frost was a menace at lineout time and very good in open play. Hooper looks to put a lot of hurt into his tackling. Tahini and Junior Tupou both made good ground with the ball and each showed willingness to work with extra good pace and footwork.

Result doesn't matter. The game provided a good hitout for both sides. Such a contrast to the Tahs/Reds game.

I agree result does not matter as both sides would be happy what got out of that. On Prior vs Cubellii yes both had good games but cubelli was a level above in terms of sharpness of finding the gaps, players and general play. If Cubelli after that trial game not locked down starting half (with prior on bench) something is not right.

Another player worth mentioning is Brumbies league convert Tapine who showed enough to me that one to watch out for development wise. I won't comment much on Brumbies given BR you commented on that...other then to say I think Noah showed to me development wise he is our smart flyhalf wallaby potential with some of his attacking plays (the nice little deft kick for fines try springs to mind here).

but as to other Force players...I thought Kahini for a 35 year old looked sharp, while brache who I question showed some good plays....I thought while lance did the basics well once McIntrye came on and Argentine half showed much more (much needed) energy that I feel Lance will struggle to make the 23 for many games...On the force forwards..props were generally out muscled by the Brumbies but feel that is combinations as they have enough decent props combo wise to be ok. I thought Force backrowers also did ok....anyhow that was enjoyable and just reminded to me why I miss the NRC in seeing some up and coming (squad) talent play that you don't necessarily see during the season (but do when comes to NRC time)...

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Force need to combat the Brumbies driving maul,otherwise they may have problems in the first round(or maybe the force were foxing)-a good hitout from both teams,the Force will do alright ,i think

Brumbies players wore black arm bands for Kuridrani's mum....nice...thoughts are with TK and his family...

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Force need to combat the Brumbies driving maul,otherwise they may have problems in the first round(or maybe the force were foxing)-a good hitout from both teams,the Force will do alright ,i think

Yeh Brumbies show rolling maul strike weapon but also won't get too worried about force combating this as had lots of different combo's which made harder to address...but equally such a part of Brumbies DNA (and obviously training drills) that does not matter what 8 forwards you start with - you know that Brumbies rolling maul will be a strength and on average at least get them 1 try per game. Need to capture that rolling maul strength and bottle it for the wallabies. Suspect that is why Wallabies wanted as one of the reasons for Brumbies Head Coach as their assistant.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I've only had the chance to watch the first interval so far.... but what a contrast to the Reds v Waratahs game. Both teams looking sharp, looking to use the ball. Both teams with some solid defence. Nothing cynical on either side.

Doesn't Len Ikitau look great? Valetini also looking the business. I like how the Force were trying to play, but they could learn a thing or two from the Brumbies in having players in motion on attack in the 22. Not that it has paid off much for the Brumbies so far...

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
.On the force forwards..props were generally out muscled by the Brumbies but feel that is combinations as they have enough decent props combo wise to be ok. .

I'd mostly agree with this however when Holmes come on the Force scrum went up about three gears. They went from barely holding on to dominant. Not bad for and old bloke.

If the Force can get 20-30 mins like that each week they'll come home with a wet sail