• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Press releases from the ARU Media Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I refer to this press release. I’ve vented throughout and will post my version of it after…
http://www.rugby.com.au/wallabies/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1516/ArticleID/4079/Default.aspx

The selections of Scott Higginbotham at the back of the scrum, and Nathan Sharpe in the second row, represent the two changes to the Qantas Wallabies starting XV which has been named today ahead of Saturday’s [Sunday morning, AEST] Castrol Edge Tri Nations Series match against South Africa in Durban. The selections of Scott Higginbotham and Nathan Sharpe don’t represent the changes, they ARE the changes to the starting XV.

Higginbotham and Sharpe take the places of Ben McCalman and Rob Simmons respectively as the Wallabies take on a much changed Springbok XV in the crunch Tri Nations encounter.

Despite last week’s 14-30 loss to New Zealand in Auckland, Australia remains a live chance of bagging the Tri Nations title for the first time in a decade, but must come away from King’s Park with championship points to keep that reality alive ahead of the final round match against New Zealand in Brisbane on August 27. Did we really need to say “live” chance? What other chance could there be? And you don’t keep a reality alive: you keep a dream alive so it becomes a reality. And let me introduce you to how paragraphs work. They usually include more than one sentence of related subjects. This “paragraph” you have written contains neither of those things: not more than one sentence, and the sentence is talking about 2 fairly unrelated (given the context at least) subjects. I would possibly hold off on mentioning the next game until either a) the end of this “piece”, or b) the article after the game.

McCalman has been retained in the match night squad for the game, which kicks off at 1am Sunday morning [AEST], but Simmons has been rested in a straight swap for Sharpe. Can we maybe just say that McCalman has been retained in the side? Surely saying “in the match night squad” is redundant. Oh sorry- redundant means you’ve said the same thing twice, therefore one is redundant.

The second row place on the bench has been taken by the damaging NSW Waratahs second rower Sitaleki Timani, who steps in for Dan Vickerman, who returned to Australia after last weekend’s Test in order to continue his comeback with a full eighty minutes of club play this weekend with Sydney University. How f**king long is this sentence? And how many non sequiters can be awkwardly shoved into a long sentence that doesn’t actually say anything?

Queensland Reds No 8 Radike Samo also comes onto the bench, which has reverted to a five-forward two-back split, in the place of NSW Waratahs winger Lachie Turner. Oh my god – put the important info first and use fewer words - Radike Samo has replaced Lachie Turner on the bench, with Deans opting for a five-two split of forwards to backs.

“Rob has been troubled for a wee while now by a shoulder niggle. With so much rugby still to come this year, and a physically taxing afternoon in prospect, we thought it prudent to pull back on his involvement for now to allow his shoulder to rest up,” Qantas Wallabies coach Robbie Deans said, adding that Simmons was not in doubt for next week’s Rugby World Cup squad naming. Firstly - when did we go back to talking about Simmons?? Secondly Robbie: please allow me to rephrase for you so you sound more decisive: Rob’s been carrying a bit of a shoulder complaint for a while that we’ve chosen to ignore, instead electing to test his gammy shoulder against soft opposition of the All Blacks. But he’s now bitching and moaning all the time and I’m sick of hearing it. We’ve got a long time away together as a squad, so I wanted to get his shoulder right now so I didn’t need to hear him crying himself to sleep through my hotel room throughout the whole f**king world cup.” Or ARU Media Unit, you could have chosen to paraphrase him, or edit his quote….

Sharpe returns after getting through a full match in club play last weekend for the University of Queensland, while Higginbotham has been rewarded with a maiden Test start after some rousing performances off the bench for the Wallabies in the opening three matches of the year. This info should be up the top where you were talking about them the first time. Honestly, do you know how to structure an article?

Although he was involved in last year’s Tri Nations squad, being robbed of a possible Test debut when forced from the bench at late notice last year in Pretoria; Higginbotham had to wait until the last game of 2010 before finally taking his maiden Test bow as a Wallaby, during the 59-16 demolition of France in Paris at the end of the Spring Tour. What? And why is this a different paragraph. Seriously, this is supposed to be a press release that media outlets can simply lift text out of to drop into a space on a page, and you’re giving them this? I know the story already, and I still had to read that 8 times to understand what you were saying.

“Scott has made a genuine impact in each of his Test outings to date this year,” Deans noted, “and we’ll be looking for him to do the same from the start this week.” To date is another redundant clause. Or to give you an example of redundant clause: To date is yet another redundant clause repeated throughout. See what I did there? I said the same thing over and over so my paragraph would be more impressive. But it doesn’t actually make me sound smarter, does it…? The sentence makes more sense without it. And if you’ve already broken up a quote with “Deans noted”, where’s the real harm in fixing up the man’s sentence structure, again so he can sound smarter?

A further change on the bench sees Brumbies prop Salesi Ma’afu enter for the first time this year, after missing the back end of Super Rugby due to a fractured arm, which was sustained against the Lions. Couldn’t you have structured this better, where you talk about the changes to the starting side, why they happened, then the bench.. oh never mind, I’ll just fix it myself.

Ma’afu featured in 10 Tests during his maiden season as a Wallaby last year, starting in all six matches of last year’s Tri Nations series. Why is this a different paragraph? Isn’t it just another sentence in the previous one?

He has taken the bench position previously occupied by Pekahou Cowan. See above. Where did he take it? You’re just making this shit up now.

“Salesi has worked hard to get back. The work he put in at our Gold Coast camp last week confirmed for us, on top of his medical clearance, that he is ready to go,” Deans said. ibid

“He’s in good nick physically, has scrummed well in training and, most importantly, has been there before. Salesi knows what to expect in these types of contests. We will be looking for him to add value when he gets his chance.” Ibid (again – yes, I know what ibid means, but you appear to love redundancy in writing and FFS, you’ve used 4 paragraphs talking about the kid, in clunky prose, and I’ve had to sit through 2 separate butcherings of the English language by Dingo already.

While the Australian starting line-up features nine of the players who started in last year’s thrilling 41-39 win over South Africa at Bloemfontein, which was the Wallabies’ second win in the Republic from three seasons, but Australia’s first at a high veldt venue in 47 years; the Springboks will still field a vastly more experienced outfit. Wow – I see what you’re trying to do: mention the Australian poor record, their thrilling Bloem win, but what outfit are you comparing the Boks to when you refer to them as a “more experienced outfit”? Because it’s written as if last year’s team in Bloem was less experienced, but I think you’re actually comparing them to the team that came out to Aus. Because the latter would make more sense (logically), however it would also make the linking of these 2 concepts completely illogical and non-sensical. Not to mention (like this sentence) hard to follow.

Last week, Australia faced the most experienced All Black line-up, in terms of collective caps, in history, and the Springbok group is tipped to similarly boast a record number of South African appearances when it is named later today. You’re just guessing the likely team, so we could’ve probably saved this for another media release tomorrow, giving us something else to talk about then. But shit, you’ve just found this stat out and you needed to try it out on someone. And besides, what dickhead would’ve really been able to hang on and read this long anyway. Oh, me? Yeah, fair point.

“We saw last week that the All Blacks hit the ground running, with a group that featured a number of experienced players coming off a brief break, and the Springboks will be no different,” Deans said.

“We didn’t handle the opening onslaught in Auckland and that set us on the back foot for the remainder of the match. The South Africans won’t have missed that. More of the same will be coming. It is important we adapt better and get ourselves into the contest from the start.” Deans, call me before you speak anymore. You are having a negative impact on the press-release writers

This weekend’s match will be refereed by Bryce Lawrence of New Zealand.

The Qantas Wallabies team to play South Africa in the Castrol Edge Tri Nations Rugby Test at King’s Park in Durban on Saturday night (kick-off: 1am, Sunday morning, AEST) is:

15. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)
14. James O’Connor (Western Force)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)
12. Pat McCabe (Brumbies)
11. Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds)
10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
8. Scott Higginbotham (Queensland Reds)
7. David Pocock (Western Force)
6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies, captain)
5. James Horwill (Queensland Reds)
4. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
3. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
1. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)

Run on Reserves: No. See they’re either running on, or they’re reserves. You didn’t need to say “run on reserves” unless you’re referring to “running on to sing the national anthem and then warming the pine until Dingo tells them not to” in which case, they're technically running onto the field...but still it's a tough differentiation to make

16. Saia Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)
17. Salesi Ma’afu (Brumbies)
18. Sitaleki Timani (NSW Waratahs)
19. Ben McCalman (Western Force)
20. Radike Samo (Queensland Reds)
21. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
22. Anthony Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
And now my version: I know that it is very far from perfect, but I won't criticise someone else's work without putting up an alternative.

Robbie Deans has made two changes to the Qantas Wallabies starting XV ahead of Saturday’s [1AM Sunday morning AEST] Castrol Edge Tri Nations Series match against South Africa in Durban. Higginbotham has moved Ben McCalman to the bench, with Nathan Sharpe in for a direct swap with Rob Simmons. Sharpe returns after getting through a full match in club play last weekend for the University of Queensland, while Higginbotham has been rewarded with a maiden Test start after some rousing performances off the bench for the Wallabies in the opening three matches of the year.

Damaging NSW Waratahs second rower Sitaleki Timani will take the second row place on the bench, stepping in for Dan Vickerman. Vickerman, meanwhile, will continue his comeback by playing eighty minutes of club rugby with Sydney University this weekend. Queensland Reds No 8 Radike Samo also comes onto the bench, which has reverted to a five-forward two-back split, in the place of NSW Waratahs winger Lachie Turner.

Deans has elected to rest Simmons due to an ongoing shoulder complaint, but emphasized that he was not in doubt for next week’s Rugby World Cup squad. “Rob has been troubled for a wee while now by a shoulder niggle. With so much rugby still to come this year, and a physically taxing afternoon in prospect, we thought it prudent to pull back on his involvement for now to allow his shoulder to rest up” Deans said.

Although selected in last year’s Tri Nations squad, Higginbotham had to wait until the last game in 2010 before earning his first cap during the 59-16 demolition of France in Paris at the end of the Spring Tour. “Scott has made a genuine impact in each of his Test outings to date this year and we’ll be looking for him to do the same from the start this week” Deans explained.

A further change on the bench sees Brumbies prop Salesi Ma’afu enter for the first time this year, after missing the back end of Super Rugby due to a fractured arm sustained against the Lions. Ma’afu featured in 10 Tests during his maiden season as a Wallaby last year, starting in all six matches of last year’s Tri Nations series. He has taken the bench position previously occupied by Pekahou Cowan. “Salesi has worked hard to get back. The work he put in at our Gold Coast camp last week confirmed for us, on top of his medical clearance, that he is ready to go,” Deans said. “He’s in good nick physically, has scrummed well in training and, most importantly, has been there before. Salesi knows what to expect in these types of contests. We will be looking for him to add value when he gets his chance.”
The Australian starting line-up features nine of the players who started in last year’s thrilling 41-39 win over South Africa at Bloemfontein, which was the Wallabies’ second win in the Republic from three seasons, but Australia’s first at a high veldt venue in 47 years. Australia must come away from King’s Park with a win to have any chance of bagging the Tri Nations title for the first time in a decade.

Last week, Australia faced the most experienced All Black line-up, in terms of collective caps, in history, and the Springbok group is tipped to similarly boast a record number of South African appearances when it is named later today.

“We saw last week that the All Blacks hit the ground running, with a group that featured a number of experienced players coming off a brief break, and the Springboks will be no different,” Deans said. “We didn’t handle the opening onslaught in Auckland and that set us on the back foot for the remainder of the match. The South Africans won’t have missed that. More of the same will be coming. It is important we adapt better and get ourselves into the contest from the start.”
This weekend’s match will be refereed by Bryce Lawrence of New Zealand.

The Qantas Wallabies team to play South Africa in the Castrol Edge Tri Nations Rugby Test at King’s Park in Durban on Saturday night (kick-off: 1am, Sunday morning, AEST) is:
15. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)
14. James O’Connor (Western Force)
12. Pat McCabe (Brumbies)
11. Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds)
9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
8. Scott Higginbotham (Queensland Reds)
6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies, captain)
5. James Horwill (Queensland Reds)
4. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
3. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
1. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)

Reserves:
16. Saia Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)
17. Salesi Ma’afu (Brumbies)
18. Sitaleki Timani (NSW Waratahs)
19. Ben McCalman (Western Force)
20. Radike Samo (Queensland Reds)
21. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
22. Anthony Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Breathe, mate. Breathe!

Fairy muff. I couldn't read the whole thing, but it seems like JON should be offering you the gig. Do you get to go on tour and watch the boys play?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
This is the real scourge of the Wallabies at the moment. No wonder they can't implement a game plan. Perfect grammar and paragraph structure has been a hallmark of all the great rugby sides throughout history.

Apostle

Peter Burge (5)
That was a good rant, Cat A. As both an editor and a writer, I feel your pain/rage/frustration.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Thank you all for your messages of support. I clearly have issues...

Now if any of you know the ARU media unit? Consider this my application. :D

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I'm at it again...

Wallabies named to play Russia
9/29/2011
By ARU Media Unit
The selection of regular No 8 Radike Samo on the wing is the most notable among a number of changes made to the Wallabies side announced today for Saturday’s historic first ever clash against Russia. Here we go again – you’re trying to put everything you want to say in one sentence. At least you’ve learned from last time, since you’ve now put the important bit at the start. Of course, I would’ve started the sentence “Australian coach Robbie Deans has gone batshit crazy…” but we’ll get to my version later.

Samo finished last week’s 67-5 win over the United States on the wing after a spate of injuries disrupted the Australian backline, scoring a try. He has been given a further chance to shine in the position as coach Robbie Deans shuffles his resources for Australia’s final pool match in the upper South Island city of Nelson. So, to clarify, the spate of injuries scored the try? Hang on, that doesn’t make sense. Neither does this paragraph, for that matter. And I’m hesitant to say that Deans has given him the opportunity to shine, since it’s unlikely that Samo is up for a long term positional change. Still, good job with “gilding the lily”.

Just two backs, and four forwards, have been retained in their starting positions from the run on combination that Australia fielded against the United States of America last Friday night.

Flyhalf Quade Cooper and winger Drew Mitchell remain in the backline. Are two one-sentence paragraphs REALLY necessary when they are on the same subject?

Around them it is all change, with James O’Connor resuming after a hamstring injury at fullback, while Samo returns to the wing position he originally played in for the Canberra Vikings after his arrival in Australia in the late 1990s. No, make that three… And hadn’t we just discussed Samo in the first two paragraphs? Did you mean to put this bit up the top there in one of the TWO full paragraphs, perhaps where you’re trying to establish that Robbie isn’t batshit crazy because he played there, like, 15 years ago?

Last week’s hat-trick man, Adam Ashley-Cooper, moves from wing to centre, combining in the midfield with Berrick Barnes, after he performed well coming off the bench in Wellington. Another one-sentence paragraph- you truly are a wordsmith… Just clarifying, you meant Barnes came off the bench? Because the subject of the sentence started out as Two-Dads, had Barnes as an inserted clause between two commas (they should be used as if they are like brackets btw) and then finished off the sentence with ummmm Barnes actually. Can you see how it may have been clearer to start the sentence with Barnes and use Two-Dads in the middle? I’ll show you.

Luke Burgess gains his first tournament start operating behind the Australian pack, but all three halfbacks in the Wallabies squad may get a run, with last week’s skipper Will Genia and third halfback Nick Phipps the only backs named on the bench. I’m seeing a pattern here… What? I’m not confused by the subject matter, rather how the sentence works. May I just say that the ARU Media Unit is lucky to have you? I reckon you could’ve taken out a comma and made it a couple of sentences. But on the other hand, I’d hate to see you break your streak of 5 one-sentence paragraphs.

Should Phipps feature along with reserve prop Salesi Ma’afu, all of Australia’s 30-man squad will have gained on-field time during the pool phase. The Australian Sevens representative would also become the first player to have represented the new Melbourne Rebels Super Rugby franchise at a Rugby World Cup. Ummmmm Adam Byrnes? Or do you mean representing AUSTRALIA? Because that’s not what you said… I applaud you, however, for using 2 sentences this time. And if I’m going to be picky – the Super Rugby contracts kick in on October 1, which means that when Beale and JO’C wake up tomorrow morning, they are Rebels. So if they start the game, JO'C will officially be the Rebels’ first Wallaby, since Phipps will be off the bench. So really, there is absolutely nothing correct in this paragraph, aside from pointing out that Ma’afu and Phipps have so far been as useful as tits on a bull. This should read that if Phipps actually gets on, he will become the Rebels’ second Wallaby, and third representative at a World Cup.

While Australia still has four backs – fullback Kurtley Beale, winger Digby Ioane and midfielders Rob Horne and Pat McCabe – unavailable through injury; the pressure is at least starting to ease on the Wallabies forwards.

Skipper and lock James Horwill and loose forward Scott Higginbotham both return, after being sidelined last week, while flanker David Pocock is also back in harness, with last year’s John Eales Medal winner featuring for the first time since Australia’s opening match of the tournament. Back in harness? Really? Is that part of the vernacular these days? And you may want to mention whether they are coming back from injury or strange selection policies, or… But I see we’re back to one-sentence paragraphs now. Tally has been re-started: now 2 in a row

His return moves Force team-mate Ben McCalman from the side to the back of the scrum, while all three Australian hookers have been included, with Stephen Moore starting while Tatafu Polota Nau and Saia Fainga’a will play from the bench. Make that 3. Who’s return? There is no subject in this paragraph – are you talking about Horwill, Higginbotham or Pocock? You know, if you had decided to group this sentence with the last paragraph, it might have made more sense.

Although injuries have taxed Australia’s resources, with this week’s loss of No 8 Wycliff Palu for the tournament due to a hamstring injury the latest setback, Deans has no doubt that the combination selected for the weekend can get the result needed to secure Australia’s position in the next round of the competition. Huh? I’m not sure if this is confusing because of its sentence structure, word selection, or because it discusses Deans’ selections. Combination of all 3? Perhaps. 4 in a row now

“While there are various permutations as to where we might finish, we need to win first and foremost. No one in our group is looking beyond this match,” Deans says.

“The Russians won’t be easy. They will be excited about the prospect of playing against a top tier nation and will be looking to finish their first Rugby World Cup with a strong performance. They have been competitive in their three matches to date and scored two tries against Ireland.” Aaah a hanging quote with no one to attribute it to. You just wanted to keep the streak alive – I can see that now. Well done – 6 consecutive one-sentence paragraphs. That’s a new PB.

Deans says the inclusion of all three squad halfbacks, and all three hookers, was caused by the team’s current injury circumstance, as was the inclusion of Samo on the wing. Current injury circumstance? A) no one’s calling it a circumstance, and B) this could’ve all been avoided by not taking a halfback that is simply along for the ride, and perhaps players who had played more than 2 Super games, or who had had game time in the 2 months leading up to squad naming? But I’m just guessing here. Deans is the expert.
“We’ve had to be a bit creative but it’s never been about the number on their back,” he says. Ok, the record is now at 8.

The players all know the role-play. While some of them might be out of their normal positions, they won’t let us down and will enjoy the opportunity. We saw that last week with Radike [Samo] and Tatafu [Polota Nau] in the match against the United States.” The players all know the role-play? Kind of like when my little 12yo mate dresses up as a rugby player? Yeah, I think that’s cute too. Of course, I wouldn’t play him against Ireland…

A bonus point win will advance Australia into the quarter-finals, although the Wallabies will most likely finish as Pool C runners-up unless Italy beats Ireland in Dunedin on Sunday.

If both Australia and Italy were to record bonus point wins, and finish tied on the final standings, Australia would advance as the pool’s top qualifier because of its 32-6 win over Italy earlier in the tournament. Were you just trying to make this release look longer than it is? That would explain the “paragraphing”

The Wallabies team to play Russia in the ninth match of Pool C at the Rugby World Cup, at Trafalgar Park in Nelson on Saturday (kick-off: 3.30pm NZ Daylight Saving time, 12.30pm AEST) is:
15. James O’Connor (Western Force)
14. Radike Samo (Queensland Reds)
12. Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs)
11. Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs)
9. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
8. Ben McCalman (Western Force)
6. Scott Higginbotham (Queensland Reds)
5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
4. James Horwill (Queensland Reds, captain)
3. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)
1. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
Run on Reserves: Seriously – they can’t be run-on reserves: they either run-on, or they are reserves. And calling them run-on reserves indicates that Robbie has every intention of using them, and we just know that that’s not the case.

16. Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs)
17. Saia Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)
18. Salesi Ma’afu (Brumbies)
19. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)
20. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies)
21. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
22. Nick Phipps (Melbourne Rebels)

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Cat A,
I have found a new avatar for you:
Grammar_Nazi_Logo.jpg

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In regards to Rebels' players - many of them have aleeady played in a world cup:

Mortlock, Huxley, Gerrard, Somerville, Freier...

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
In regards to Rebels' players - many of them have aleeady played in a world cup:

Mortlock, Huxley, Gerrard, Somerville, Freier...

Not to mention O'Connor and Beale, who are technically Rebels players.
Plus Cordingley made the 2007 squad. Could it be that the ARU are just trolling us?

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Not to mention O'Connor and Beale, who are technically Rebels players.
Plus Cordingley made the 2007 squad. Could it be that the ARU are just trolling us?

That was exactly the point I was trying to make: O'Connor & Beale will wake up tomorrow, in the eyes of their Super contracts, Rebels. As has been pointed out since, there are actually MANY Rebels preceding Phipps.

If they're meaning that Phipps will be the first Rebel who has already played for the Rebels prior to playing in the World Cup, that's a little better, but still wrong - that title goes to Vladamir Byrnes.

No matter which way you look at it, what they've written is incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.