• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

problems with windows and doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
this is going to sound really strange but its my final year project, so what are some of the major problems or wants you have for windows and doors, thats in a house, in another type of building or in a car, anyplace with them. would be a real help, cheers.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Seriously? So I don't get to vent the endless list of issues I have with Microsoft Windows? What are you studying?

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Windows don't have multiple lighting and ventilation dimensions built in.

Doors are not removable.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
this is going to sound really strange but its my final year project, so what are some of the major problems or wants you have for windows and doors, thats in a house, in another type of building or in a car, anyplace with them. would be a real help, cheers.
I think you might need to narrow the scope a bit. I don't really get it...

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Seriously? So I don't get to vent the endless list of issues I have with Microsoft Windows? What are you studying?

You can tell you'rea noob, :p I study industrial design, jnor it's about any problems to do with windows or doors or their frames, locks or mechanisms

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Doors: noisy, swell/shrink, don't seal out light/drafts, sliding doors disappear into wall and there's no handle to get them out, create a pressure surge when opened/closed, blow in the wind, don't open as wide as the opening, locks don't actually keep people out, can be kicked through.

Windows: let too much heat through, can't block out light/noise, not secure, at night you can't see out but people can see in, annoying to clean, if you secure them you can't get out in a fire.

S

spooony

You can tell you'rea noob, :p I study industrial design, jnor it's about any problems to do with windows or doors or their frames, locks or mechanisms

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
Well you are going to need a pc with windows on to design your projects.

I would think problems or choices that one will get is what type of doors you will use. Bathroom doors will have the problem of condensation. A glass sliding door will be better if you have a balcony to have a view. So it will depend where the door is used and what is before and between it in the design. For windows they will normally be on the outside of the building unless you design big office buildings or or for business where cubicles, counters and such need a different design window with different thickness glass.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Doors - ours (internally) rattle with the wind. Shits me. Latch mechanism just not a snug enough fit. Of course, you only know once you're living there, not during the build.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
we have the old ones (that slide upwards) and they are all stuffed. Happy for you to come and fix them as part of your project

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I live in black soil, so with each wet patch or dry patch the doors don't bloody close properly. Shits me cause it takes ages asnd a lot of work to get them working how they should.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I live in black soil, so with each wet patch or dry patch the doors don't bloody close properly. Shits me cause it takes ages asnd a lot of work to get them working how they should.

That isn't really the doors fault. More to do with the foundations of your house.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Windows issues revolve around multiple design usage. Most that are really good for allowing ventilation (eg lourves) are crap at insulating when you want to close them and get the ac on. We want our living areas to be open, have a lot of light and great ventilation, but we also want them to efficient at insulating when required. Not sure the balance is right with most products.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Windows that are too hard to climb in into my room when I've forgotten my door keys. Can you make some sort of fold out staircase that a drunk could safely navigate?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
What about living in a cellar, but instead of a staircase down, an inflatable slide like planes have for emergency exits? You could even have it lead right to the bed.

Now all we need is a robot that will pull your shoes off and throw a blanket over you. Rugbyfuture, get on it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
What about living in a cellar, but instead of a staircase down, an inflatable slide like planes have for emergency exits? You could even have it lead right to the bed.

Now all we need is a robot that will pull your shoes off and throw a blanket over you. Rugbyfuture, get on it.
You know, the first time I read that, I missed the shoes. It was disturbing.

Reactions: DPK
Status
Not open for further replies.