• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proud Parent's Thread

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Laaitie is off to Holland for his hockey tour
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/11045446_10153689340506124_6525896835253412496_n.jpg?oh=338cc73a09d6bc00225fbc7e7f6d1ede&oe=559F3989&__gda__=1437486141_30288df18182ffa2176a04539138b490

Pretty proud on the laaities. Holland in hockey is like NZ in rugby and PRG were unbeaten on tour. They played against teams close to top of Holland youth league (Super JA1) . One day left to tour Rotterdam , then its the long trip back to SA. Already ordered a fat steak to be ready when he arrives.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So the eldest had his first competitive game of AFL on the weekend. For the U8's they aren't meant to score, but everyone does. No tackling and many of the rules are enforced fairly loosely. They also rotate the positions so everyone gets to be a back/forward etc...

Anyway his team won 10 goals to 3. He managed to get two goals in his forwards time and was setting up for a three when the siren went. He chucked the ball under his arm and went for a run - think I even saw a little hand go out for a fend. Nice.

For his effort he got best on ground, as voted by the opposition. Fairly stoked Dad when i saw him get that. Here is the finished result.

tom football.JPG

And I see this as good skills development for a future in Rugby :)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I had a real thrill on the weekend when two of my boys (12 & 10) got to play a game of rugby together (or half a game at least).

My 2nd son (Master 10) is a very solid player. I coach his team and I am the first to suggest that he is not a natural talent. He is slow as a wet week (well, as slow as his dad) and his handling can be a bit ropey. I play him at lock or at the back of the scrum, but I love his play. He loves the tight stuff. Loves the clear out, loves a pick and go (seems to know the right time to do it) and is a very capable tackler. I reckon he's the best forward in the team at doing the traditional forward stuff.

Eldest son (12) is a little more of a natural. He plays 10 (and sometimes 9) for his club and has excellent vision, a lovely step and a wonderful long pass. He is a prominent try scorer (and sets up his fair share) and kicks goals to boot.

Anyway, this weekend gone Master 10's game was called off in the aftermath of the Friday storm. So we all went out to Master 12s game, but I told 10 to pack his boots and mouth guard. Just in case.

Anyway a couple of 12's team mates don't show up so I tell the coach that 10 could fill in if needed, and they accept the offer. In the back of my mind I think 10 could handle himself, because he is no-nonsense, does the basics and is pretty tough. I'm not too concerned about his size as he is just a bit smaller than his older brother. Unfortunately I had forgotten that 12 was pretty much the smallest in his team, so 10 quickly took over that role.

Anyway, he watches from the reserve bench for the first half and our team are doing a number on the opposition. At half time he gets the call up and he's playing on the wing. Now as I said previously if you ranked his rugby skills "speed" and "catching" wouldn't be towards the top, but I can understand the decision.

The coach is great and makes a point of helping out the young boy on the wing, and all the players support this. The opposition then kick off and we return it back towards his wing only for his outcentre to deliver a high pass over his head with defence fast approaching.

But Master 10 takes it well and just charges forward. No cinderella story about a try with his first touch or anything, but a big relief for him (and me) that he took the ball and got a run in early. He ended up getting a fair bit of ball, never making a break but always securing the ball and getting it back for his team. Master 12 and a couple of his mates had decided that they wanted to get him a try, so the ball came his way often. It didn't happen but as a selfish dad, it was great to watch.

I hope they remember the thrill of being able to play a proper game together, as I am not sure if it will happen again. As an only boy with 3 sisters growing up I know I would've relished the chance to play with a brother. I got to play a season with an older cousin, which I loved.

As a dad, it was a really special moment, and this photo is now one of my favourites - they are the two Lannister blondes closest to camera..

Attachments

• H J.jpg
    H J.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 321

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Paul Roos won the Cape Town International Hockey Tournament for the first time.
http://www.teamsports.co.za/teamsports/index.cfm/2015-cape-town-hockey-festival/
The event
The Cape Town International Hockey Festival was founded in 2003. The festival is owned and managed by TEAM Sports (the leading schools tour operator in South Africa) in the beautiful City of Cape Town and occurs in the 3rd week of July annually. The festival has grown immensely over the past 11 years with the standard and quality of the event increasing annually.
The event is oversubscribed annually due to its popularity and the participating teams are now limited to 48 School teams split between U18 Boys and Girls. The Domestic and International team mix is typically:-
25% - International teams
20% - SA Regional teams
55% - Cape Town based teams
The 2015 festival will be the 12th consecutive year (excluding 2010 due to the Soccer World Cup in SA) of this prestigious event and promises to be the best yet! It will be held from 21 to 26 July 2015 and will feature 46 teams (22 boys and 24 girls’ teams). The teams are both local and international talent coming departing from the UK, Australia, Zimbabwe and South Africa.
This Hockey Festival is a Western Province Hockey Union sanctioned event and the technical component of the Tournament is managed by WPHU in conjunction with Team Sports staff. The Tournament is played in accordance with FIH standards (Federation of International Hockey), placing this event as the leading under 18 Schools Hockey Festival globally.
Some piccies
Kent02_zpsosxmxlwy.jpg

11264888_954760551236647_2141843082917318050_n_zps0ntrqv5r.jpg

brakkies01_zpskybukjro.jpg

11741217_955714477807921_4262398155446813724_o_zps45bpnosj.jpg

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Well done to your laatie PB, congrats to his school.
Paul Roos have been awesome in their 150th year. At the moment the hockey team is ranked 3rd, rugby 2nd in SA. The rugby won the Sanix tournament but took a hiding from both Paarl schools. Hockey we lost only against Sacs all season (including the Holland tour) but sort of revenge it by beating them in the final of this tournament after beating Rondebosch in the semis. Tonight we play the other WP big hockey school Bishops.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Always important to make sure the kids have a balance. Mine do so well in his sport, OK in his academics but now he discover his love for metal rock. Obvious far from my type of music but I have always said I'll support them even if they do ballet. Travel the weekend to a nice pub in Tulbach about 100 kms from Stellenbosch to take him to their 2nd gig. The plave have a nice name of "De Kreeft Stamkafee at Saronsberg Teater Tulbagh" and while I was watching the CC semi in the pub, they performed on the stoep.

We also will fly over to my daughter in Korea over the Dec holidays. Planning to visit Jeju Island for Xmast weekend.

Janlu%20Rock_zpslc41sgfu.jpg

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm a proud parent - mainly of myself for not killing the little shit. The boy is 11 (and a half) and moody as fuck. Swings back and forth like a pendulum on steroids.

I brought up with my wife that she also does this, and that she needs to be aware of it when she's trying to deliver consistent parenting.

So I'm also proud of the fact I'm still alive.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Always important to make sure the kids have a balance. Mine do so well in his sport, OK in his academics but now he discover his love for metal rock. Obvious far from my type of music but I have always said I'll support them even if they do ballet. Travel the weekend to a nice pub in Tulbach about 100 kms from Stellenbosch to take him to their 2nd gig. The plave have a nice name of "De Kreeft Stamkafee at Saronsberg Teater Tulbagh" and while I was watching the CC semi in the pub, they performed on the stoep.

We also will fly over to my daughter in Korea over the Dec holidays. Planning to visit Jeju Island for Xmast weekend.

Janlu%20Rock_zpslc41sgfu.jpg

Yell him he needs to post some clips onto YouTube so us Aussie metalheads can have a listen. (Yes I searched on the band name)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Yell him he needs to post some clips onto YouTube so us Aussie metalheads can have a listen. (Yes I searched on the band name)
To be honest he cant sing but he can scream like a pig on a diet. They are boys from Paul Roos and started off a few months back. I was praying this will have a sudden death but now it look like this wont happen. They cant gig now, busy with year end exams , so just maybe ??

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
To be honest he cant sing but he can scream like a pig on a diet. They are boys from Paul Roos and started off a few months back. I was praying this will have a sudden death but now it look like this wont happen. They cant gig now, busy with year end exams , so just maybe ??

Too many bad influences from other shit SA bands at the moment. Have you ever heard "Die Antwoord"? How they can legally pass that as music, only fuck knows.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Too many bad influences from other shit SA bands at the moment. Have you ever heard "Die Antwoord"? How they can legally pass that as music, only fuck knows.
I use to love Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Queen, Boston, exct, my Mrs never like that when we were young. Now it all repeat via the kids. I just leave him and listen along. Thing is you need to get to their level to make sure they hit the right tracks. He got his Boere Matrix last weekend after a week of reach out to the Boesmans in Botswana. So all is good, nowadays you find the bad in all music if you really want to. When the Bokke or WP won, we'll share a beer shandy.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
My daughter, having shown the same talent for dance her mother possessed, was invited to join the school's Showgroup this year.

She kicked arse. To the point where she won the equivalent of player of the season for her age group, beating out about a dozen girls, most of whom are older and more experienced than her.

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
My daughter ran in the Zone Championships for LItlle Athletics on the weekend.
She ran in the U9's 400 metres and came last.
What makes me a proud parent was her attitude. No meltdown or poor me.
Her comment was..... Hey dad I came last , but I did my best, I reckon you should by me a treat dad, I mean I was the only kid that managed to come last, no other kid in the race can say that.

Very proud. And I did by her a treat.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Hey they are alright... Try Parkway Drive, The Amity affliction or In Hearts Wake.
They will clear your sinus' and make your lungs bleed. Or are you and @Paarlbok just getting old. I know I am when I hear the Westlake lads play their music.
In saying that they have introduced me to some wonderful sounds such as Methyl Ethel and Jarryd James. I think back to my Nick Cave and the Lime Spiders Days and realise that we weren't aren't that different

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)

Mark of Cain are one of the best tho.

As for my kids, eldest is enjoying school and doing quite well at gymnastics. Youngest started meowing like the cat, but hasn't said I love you daddy. Hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
My eldest took home most improved, best overall and best performing under 8's gymnast at her club last weekend.

Our youngest ate some cat food and played with the toilet brush a few times. I think the mrs was smoking crack during the pregnancy. Lol j/k. Heaps of beer. Hahah j/k. I mean, how else would a daughter of mine be such a good gymnast!?! lol

Walking handstand
94cfeebdab4a95af62dead336f700fc5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
My wife gave birth to our second child on the 30th Dec; a boy which completes the pigeon pair.

He surprised us in a few ways, first by arriving a week early and second by his size. His sister was 7.5lb and our obstetrician had told my wife to expect a bub around 8lb this time.
He was 9lb 1oz and 54cm long!

Until I met him I wasn't fussed on whether it was a boy or girl but now that he is here I am just pumped that I have a son!

Everyone is doing well! :)