• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proud Parent's Thread

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Congrats on your young blokes rep selection Reg. My young bloke is still coming to grips with U8 rugby - still does his seal impersonation that he learnt in U7 and no amount of "they won't pass you the ball in U8's if you want it you have to fight for it" seems to be getting through. He is getting in there and having a go though which is pleasing, he just needs to learn the 'how' better.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
well he did well in his trial. Got picked as one of two scrummies in the cut down squad of 30 which they will apparently cut down to 24 at another trial tomorrow night. Unfortunately we are off on a family holiday tomorrow and he will miss the trial. It will now be up to the selectors as to whether they want him (and indeed 2 scrummies) in their final squad.

Regardless it was a good opportunity for him and he enjoyed the process. Given him a nice boost considering its U12s and he is 11, he has another shot next year.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
well he did well in his trial. Got picked as one of two scrummies in the cut down squad of 30 which they will apparently cut down to 24 at another trial tomorrow night. Unfortunately we are off on a family holiday tomorrow and he will miss the trial. It will now be up to the selectors as to whether they want him (and indeed 2 scrummies) in their final squad.

Regardless it was a good opportunity for him and he enjoyed the process. Given him a nice boost considering its U12s and he is 11, he has another shot next year.
Boet family holidays surely cant be more important then your laaities trial. You have to get the priorities right.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not a parent exactly, but proud as punch none the less. Congrats to the Mr Doug Connections, and Quirindi.

Yes boyo, much jubilation in our home today with a second family member, Wallaby #879, cousin Sammy, following in his Dad Dave's footsteps!! I saw the team list on this thread just as the 'phone rang, and tried to tell Mrs Doug, but was too choked up to get any words out! On the phone was Miss Doug who lives in Canada. She had already communicated via Facebook, with Sam's Sister, Georgie. Exciting times!!

I thought Sam was a good chance to be on the bench, but run-on lock is fantastic. The then Wallabies coach, Robbie Deans told Dave that Sam needed to put on 8 kgs to assist his future prospects, as he had a high opinion of him. For many years it has been "Sam's plan" to make the Wallabies 2015 RWC squad.
It may not be widely know that Link wanted Sam at the Reds, but Reds management said no, so he joined the Brumbies. That has proven to be a very wise decision, and today's announcement just confirms the high regard Link continues to have for Sam!
We were hoping to catch up with Sam at Sanctuary Cove this week, but I think he may be somewhat 'pre-occupied' leading up to the kick-off!

Bring on Saturday!!

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Thanks Mr Jarse, yes proud relations are we. Got a txt msg from Dave last night, saying that parents and grandparents are indeed proud, and happy, adding that they: "Can't wait til Saturday"!

I must also mention prop Paddy Ryan, born and raised 60 kms north of Quirindi in the city of Tamworth. Congratulations to his proud family and friends, who will be hoping to see him make his third appearance for the Wallabies off the bench.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It is often said that there are various rugby "personalities" that subscribe to Green and Gold Rugby, the World's Best Rugby Blog, however to the best of my knowledge, @Mr Doug is the only forum correspondent that had publicly come out and declared their rugby royalty connections. I might add that he had outed himself and his family connections as a "proud parent" well before young Sam was nominated by Link. Tons to be proud of.

Have you got any ranga visitors from Scotland going with you to the game on Saturday night? Presume that you will get some freebies/cheapies through your "connections".

My cheapskate and Foxtel-less relative, Hamish McJarse, will be over for dinner at our joint.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Really proud of my son's effort at rugby today. For the first time he seemed to be 'getting' what he had to do. Most of the time he just ran around the field clueless (pretty much like his old man) and occasionally pushing in a maul (again just like his old man) but today he started tracking the ball well and was close to the play, even if he still hasn't made a tackle or hit a ruck. I can see some improvement in his play and am happy that he is having a go and believe before the end of the season he will be hitting rucks.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Mr Jarse, sorry mate, only just saw your post #66 of 4 June. Not even my mate Richo, as a dual-international, can get those tickets of which you spoke!
Newest 'accessory', [Scottish ranga], which replaced old version following Reds poor showings, has (as they say in horse racing parlance), "worked a treat"!
Three wins from three outings by the Walabies (formally known as "Wobs", under an AB 'plant' within our coaching ranks), so no 'buyer remorse' here!

Watched the match at Son's place with Grandson looking at the screen every now and then, (but his attention at Titans match on Monday night was much the same)!
Son asked me who the "Big Kev" was that I mentioned throughout the telecast. Sad coming from a bloke who was a very good Rugby colt, did some work-experience in Reds marketing Dept., then married into a family of Broncos supporters!! "Sa la vie"!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The boy has been doing drama classes the last two terms. Nothing flash - run by a local lady with a good idea how to bring out the best in kids, and has helped a few shy units with their confidence (at least on stage).

Last night was his performance piece, and his partner was sick, so he had a stand in reading from script. Like his old man, he has a gift for comic delivery and it went down a treat.

Part of me hopes he turns the corner on the physical side of things one day, but very happy with his thespian skills

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
well done to your young bloke Phitzy, not easy for most people to get up on stage in front of an audience, even more so for kids.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
My young bloke rode a bike for the first time without training wheels today, very proud of him! Next stop the tour de frog.

Well done!

My boy is 10 and still can't :( His Mum molly coddled him as a child and he's got no core strength of willingness to be hurt in pursuit of something good.

And I'm not the greatest teacher. Its just embarrassing now to try and get a boy his size to ride on the street like a five year old

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
My son was awarded the 'player of the day' award on Saturday (bs award rotated amongst the team) but he made his first tackle in the match which made me proud. I had to laugh at it though, tackled a maul because one of their players had the ball only for both teams to pretty much fall on top of him. He got up crying from the shock but I was pleased that he got in there.

..... and then I find out today he has autism spectrum disorder level one which, whilst expected is still a kick in the nuts for my wife (maybe not her - the nuts bit I mean) and I.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
My son was awarded the 'player of the day' award on Saturday (bs award rotated amongst the team) but he made his first tackle in the match which made me proud. I had to laugh at it though, tackled a maul because one of their players had the ball only for both teams to pretty much fall on top of him. He got up crying from the shock but I was pleased that he got in there.

Great Stuff!!!!

... and then I find out today he has autism spectrum disorder level one which, whilst expected is still a kick in the nuts for my wife (maybe not her - the nuts bit I mean) and I.
And Aus, you have him in the right game then mate. For as we all know Rugby accepts all. He will be lauded by his peers and have the best support network of mates ever.

He is a Rugby boy... :) :) :)

Good luck to you, your lovely wife and Son Aussie D!!!!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Laaitie set up the second goal via spinning into the D (practise this skill now for a year before getting it right) lost the ball to the other striker to score with an unbelievable reverse stick and scoring the winning goal against Bishops in the final minutes.